Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

James Clapper: "I didn't lie to Congress, I just didn't understand the question!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Clapper: "I didn't lie to Congress, I just didn't understand the question!"

Source: Clapper: ‘I Didn’t Lie’ to Congress About NSA Spying — ‘I Just Simply Didn’t Understand’ the Question

Tuesday on CNN’s “New Day,” host John Berman asked former National Intelligence Director James Clapper about The Intercept’s Glenn Greenwald saying he lied to Congress about the NSA program used to spy on Americans’ phone records.

"I didn’t lie, I made a big mistake and I just simply didn’t understand what I was being asked about,” he added. “I thought of another surveillance program, Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act when I was being asked about Section 215 of the Patriot Act at the time. I just didn’t understand that."

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...-the-question/

© Copyright Original Source

You'd have to be as stupid as a liberal to believe an excuse like that.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Source: Clapper: ‘I Didn’t Lie’ to Congress About NSA Spying — ‘I Just Simply Didn’t Understand’ the Question

Tuesday on CNN’s “New Day,” host John Berman asked former National Intelligence Director James Clapper about The Intercept’s Glenn Greenwald saying he lied to Congress about the NSA program used to spy on Americans’ phone records.

"I didn’t lie, I made a big mistake and I just simply didn’t understand what I was being asked about,” he added. “I thought of another surveillance program, Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act when I was being asked about Section 215 of the Patriot Act at the time. I just didn’t understand that."

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...-the-question/

© Copyright Original Source

You'd have to be as stupid as a liberal to believe an excuse like that.
    You act as if it is impossible or implausible that a man could confuse similar programs with similar designations when under the pressure of being interviewed by congress. I don't find that nearly as unlikely as you seem to. And I would be willing to bet you have been under the gun at some moment in time in your life and accidentally confused two similar facts. You are - after all - somewhat close to human

There are other issues here. But I doubt you care. Clapper is a vocal critic of your political idol, and thus must be vanquished.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-05-2019, 01:43 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

"You'd have to be as stupid as a liberal to believe an excuse like that."

Comment

"You'd have to be as stupid as a liberal to believe an excuse like that."
        Except that since I'm conservative in terms of what that term has meant up until the Trump presidency, what you actually mean by 'liberal' is derived strictly from the amount of loyalalty to heir Trump

Jim
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-06-2019, 04:20 AM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I didn't say you were a liberal, I said you'd have to be as dumb as one to buy Clapper's excuse. I have no doubt he knew exactly what was being asked.

Comment

I didn't say you were a liberal, I said you'd have to be as dumb as one to buy Clapper's excuse. I have no doubt he knew exactly what was being asked.
            There are several possible explanations.

However, on a broader front: you seem to always know with perfect clairvoyance when people are lying ... if they are somehow a problem for Trump. You also seem to have every possible excuse ready and available to defend those that stand with Trump.

I think that is a rather clear indication your capacity to speak objectively about such things is ... shall we say 'diminished'.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              There are several possible explanations.
              Ockam's Razor. In a hearing about whether or not the FBI and other tentacles of the Obama administration were spying on the Trump campaign, it's hard to think that Clapper was confused about the nature and context of certain lines of questioning.

Comment

Ockam's Razor. In a hearing about whether or not the FBI and other tentacles of the Obama administration were spying on the Trump campaign, it's hard to think that Clapper was confused about the nature and context of certain lines of questioning.
                Only when used to evaluate the statements made against Trump or his policies, and then not objectively.

Jim

Comment

Says the guy who openly despises Trump and is using every trick in the book to excuse Clapper!

You really are blind to your own hypocrisy, aren't you? Or do you simply not care?

Comment

Says the guy who openly despises Trump and is using every trick in the book to excuse Clapper!

You really are blind to your own hypocrisy, aren't you? Or do you simply not care?
                    In this case superficially it's the kettle calling the pot black, so it's mostly just fun to pull your chain and see you dance.

The real difference is this. The principles I'm applying to Clapper and Trump are universal, anyone in an identical situation (Republican or Democrat) as clapper would receive the same treatment from me. Likewise anyone acting as Trump is (Republican or Democrat) will find themselves the subject of the same criticism from me.

You on the other hand have not the slightest concern about being even handed in your assessment of a given situation. It's one set of rules for the Trump and his supporters, and a very different set for any Trump critics or opposers.

Jim

Comment

You fail at mind reading.

Comment

You fail at mind reading.
                        I'm not mind reading. I'm just observing your posts. Do you suppose you don't have a track record on Trump that is no less one sided that you accuse me of being?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          I'm not mind reading. I'm just observing your posts. Do you suppose you don't have a track record on Trump that is no less one sided that you accuse me of being?
                          My track record is defending Trump against false and unfairly biased criticism and accusations. But since those are the only arrows that Trump haters like you have in their quiver, you are under the false impression that I'm prepared to defend him no matter what.

Comment

My track record is defending Trump against false and unfairly biased criticism and accusations. But since those are the only arrows that Trump haters like you have in their quiver, you are under the false impression that I'm prepared to defend him no matter what.

Comment

FALSE???? FALSE????? I'm of the mindset that you are going to actually defend Donald Trump's believing Kim Jong -Un when Un says he didn't "know" of the Teen that was killed as a political prisoner? Prove me wrong MM.
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment