Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

James Clapper: "I didn't lie to Congress, I just didn't understand the question!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    FALSE???? FALSE????? I'm of the mindset that you are going to actually defend Donald Trump's believing Kim Jong -Un when Un says he didn't "know" of the Teen that was killed as a political prisoner? Prove me wrong MM.
    It's called allowing someone in that culture to "save face". It's very common mindset over there. I'm sure Trump was advised by those who understand it to say what he said, even though everyone including Kim knew that Trump knew it wasn't true. Multi-cultured politics aren't for the faint of heart that's for sure.

I'm reminded of an excerpt from the book "Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes" this is a paraphrase of it. Basically, there was a natural disaster (earthquake I think) in a poor (3rd world) nation...and the world rushed to provide aid to the impoverished villages that were hard hit. The US sent doctors, nurses and medical supplies to help those injured and suffering. After a while though, the constant presence of "outsiders" began to wear on the villagers and even though they still desperately needed the help, they began to complain to the National Government. The PM or Pres. (not sure which) basically stated that they were OK now and that all the helpers needed to leave. He knew that the aid was still desperately needed and many nations just ignored it and continued to help realizing the PM was posturing to "show his people his concern for their feelings" but recognized he was just "saving face" with his people and that he didn't REALLY expect them to leave. However, the US contingent, not understanding this, got mad and started recalling everyone and started preparing to leave. It became a huge deal where the PM was forced to apologize in order to not lose the US aid workers....but, it damaged the relationship with the country.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

So again. Trump can do no wrong. He can do nothing wrong. He states he believes Un, he states to the public that he admires Un.... and believes everything Un says. BUT George W and Obama BOTH stood up to North Korea and were pretty rampant in taking them on as part of the Axis of evil. Also Kim Jong Un is just as wicked to his people as the Islamic dictators are to theirs. But if Trump acts this way it's called cultural respect. If Obama acts a certain way you tear him apart. That is nuts.

Again the point stands. Those that basically worship Trump believe he can do no wrong.
      Last edited by Catholicity; 03-07-2019, 03:00 PM.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

So again. Trump can do no wrong. He can do nothing wrong. He states he believes Un, he states to the public that he admires Un.... and believes everything Un says. BUT George W and Obama BOTH stood up to North Korea and were pretty rampant in taking them on as part of the Axis of evil. Also Kim Jong Un is just as wicked to his people as the Islamic dictators are to theirs. But if Trump acts this way it's called cultural respect. If Obama acts a certain way you tear him apart. That is nuts.

Again the point stands. Those that basically worship Trump believe he can do no wrong.
        facepalm3.gif This isn't black or white. Wholly one or the other.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]35542[/ATTACH] This isn't black or white. Wholly one or the other.
          I dunno Obama did for the Muslim leaders what is being called "respect" for Kim jong-un and frankly folks crucified Obama and called him a Muslim. By that Logic you should be calling Trump a traitor and a North Korean.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I dunno Obama did for the Muslim leaders what is being called "respect" for Kim jong-un and frankly folks crucified Obama and called him a Muslim. By that Logic you should be calling Trump a traitor and a North Korean.
            Bowing as he did was an act of servitude not respect.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Bowing as he did was an act of servitude not respect.
              And refusing to challenge a clearly false denial of this sort in the face of a man that appears to have executed an out of favor officiali with a flamethrower, who routinely banishes people to concentration camps and worse over the fatal mistreatment of one of our own citizens is NOT?!?!?!

Just so we can be clear. You are equating a mistake in appearances with actually enabling and justifying one of the most abusive government leaders in the world?

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I love this notion that Trump is supposed to belligerently tweak the noses of foreign leaders and damage our international relations.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I love this notion that Trump is supposed to belligerently tweak the noses of foreign leaders and damage our international relations.
                  What did you call W's Axis of Evil? A mistake? Or did you praise it MM?
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Donald Trump accepted the claim that 'he didn't know' from a dictator that slaughters people who cross him. And yet you still can defend him?!

I keep wondering when you will grow a conscience. I keep thinking, deep down MM has to have one in there, it's just masked by his hatred for democrats, but this thing (insert Trump absurd action here), this thing has to be able to get through.

But I'm always wrong. It never does.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Well it was ok when Bush Did it right? (Bush was a conservative) It wasn't OK when Obama continued it (he was a democrat) And now that Trump is catering to N. Korea Its fine because the Liberals hate Trump. Right ok Got it. The utter hypocrisy of The far right never ceases to impress.
                        And BTW when John Kerry met privately with the Viet-Cong many were all to happy to call him a Traitor well in to his very late career. And people are still happy to call him a traitor. Trump acting in very similar ways gets him hailed a hero. Nope this makes me gag.
                        Last edited by Catholicity; 03-07-2019, 10:14 PM.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And those who hate Trump can't see that bargaining with a nuclear power before they become capable of hitting us is a delicate balance. Not allowing a despot like Un to save face would be highly insulting and make a deal near impossible...but don't let your hatred get in the way of a nuclear war...
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

And those who hate Trump can't see that bargaining with a nuclear power before they become capable of hitting us is a delicate balance. Not allowing a despot like Un to save face would be highly insulting and make a deal near impossible...but don't let your hatred get in the way of a nuclear war...
                            You can't make a deal of any kind with a power hungry dictator who killed his own brother to ascend the throne. There is a reason N. Korea has been sanctioned. And there was a reason The U.S let the Chinese deal with them. When a person is faced with Evil like that you call it evil. You don't cater to it.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You can't make a deal of any kind with a power hungry dictator who killed his own brother to ascend the throne. There is a reason N. Korea has been sanctioned. And there was a reason The U.S let the Chinese deal with them. When a person is faced with Evil like that you call it evil. You don't cater to it.
                              Then you need to be ready to go to war because if you don't make a deal, they will have nukes that can reach the US and we will have to. Never figured you for a war hawk Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                And refusing to challenge a clearly false denial of this sort in the face of a man that appears to have executed an out of favor officiali with a flamethrower, who routinely banishes people to concentration camps and worse over the fatal mistreatment of one of our own citizens is NOT?!?!?!
                                While wrong that doesn't constitute an act of servitude as you should well know.

Comment