Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Least Tolerant: Educated White Liberals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Authoritarian powers don’t like the masses to be too smart; they are easier to herd that way.
    That would explain the choke hold liberals have on public education and its generally dismal results, especially in inner cities which are liberal strongholds.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      The meaning really is that the best educated are the least submissive because they know what’s going on. This is really a call for much better education so that folks know when they are being fed “horse poo” and will do something about it. Authoritarian powers don’t like the masses to be too smart; they are easier to herd that way.
      What OBP said. The liberals have been "dumbing down" public education ever since they've gained control of it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        That would explain the choke hold liberals have on public education and its generally dismal results, especially in inner cities which are liberal strongholds.
        Often when the top students from these inner city schools go to college they have to take remedial classes just to learn what they were supposed to have been taught in High School.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's called the human brain on poverty. It'd be great if people quit trying to score cheap political points off of it.
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
            It's called the human brain on poverty. It'd be great if people quit trying to score cheap political points off of it.
            I'm impressed - that's a misdiagnosis on both counts.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It's called horribly run schools.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Often when the top students from these inner city schools go to college they have to take remedial classes just to learn what they were supposed to have been taught in High School.
                And they're ignorantly admitting they've screwed up education so much that they need to add one more year...

13th Grade Offers Some Teens an Easier Transition to College

If the'd focus on education instead of social engineering, maybe that wouldn't be a factor!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Look--every time there is an issue that has even the whiff of education about it, you guys drop the standard conservative talking points about education into the instruction. It isn't even relevant here--we're talking about more highly educated people being more prejudiced--not the standard inhabitants of "Democratic public school systems."
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    And they're ignorantly admitting they've screwed up education so much that they need to add one more year...

13th Grade Offers Some Teens an Easier Transition to College

If the'd focus on education instead of social engineering, maybe that wouldn't be a factor!
                    I'm guessing you didn't read the article. It talks about it as a feature to save money and earn associates degrees in one year--not as remediation.
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

Look--every time there is an issue that has even the whiff of education about it, you guys drop the standard conservative talking points about education into the instruction.
                      And every time they're brought up, they're waved away by others as a "cheap political ploy". (See, two can play this game.)
                      It isn't even relevant here--we're talking about more highly educated people being more prejudiced--not the standard inhabitants of "Democratic public school systems."
                      Granted. Note, however, the context in which it was brought up. If you want firstfloor's post and responses to it split into a new thread, perhaps that can be arranged.

sigpic

Comment

Look--every time there is an issue that has even the whiff of education about it, you guys drop the standard conservative talking points about education into the instruction. It isn't even relevant here--we're talking about more highly educated people being more prejudiced--not the standard inhabitants of "Democratic public school systems."
                        Look, sometimes you must admit that these "standard conservative talking points about education" are true. I live outside Atlanta where the public school system is widely recognized as abysmally administered and run. Where they seem more interested in faking giving an education than actually providing it.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          And every time they're brought up, they're waved away by others as a "cheap political ploy". (See, two can play this game.)
                          Fair point.

Granted. Note, however, the context in which it was brought up. If you want firstfloor's post and responses to it split into a new thread, perhaps that can be arranged.
                          I suppose that's up to FF to determine if he meant to speak with respect to public education.

fwiw,
                          guacamole
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Look, sometimes you must admit that these "standard conservative talking points about education" are true. I live outside Atlanta where the public school system is widely recognized as abysmally administered and run. Where they seem more interested in faking giving an education than actually providing it.
                            I don't know how much of the Conservative cannon on education is verifiable or even theoretically sound. There is a certain logical disjunction between the ardent defense of the free market system's requirement of a disparity in poverty and wealthy on the one hand and the insistence that everyone can be as well educated and excellent (To what end? For what reason, if profound wealth requires miserable poverty) as the wealthiest/most privileged.

I've read quite a bit about Atlanta's public school system's cheating scandals. It's what happens when the tests are high stakes for the wrong person. Using tests to determine the capability of teachers and schools is a conservative idea, however, and not a liberal one--not supported by any of the education labor groups, at any rate.
                            Save me, save me"

Comment

From the website:
                              In general, Republicans seem to dislike Democrats more than Democrats dislike Republicans, PredictWise found. We don’t know why this is, but this is not the only study to have detected an imbalance. For example, in a 2014 survey by the Pew Research Center, half of consistently conservative respondents said it was important for them to live in a place where most people share their political views—compared with just 35 percent of consistent liberals.

There's a reason for that, and remarkably, it's a matter of brain structure:

"What’s really fascinating is that there have been a number of recent studies looking at brain structural differences between liberals and conservatives," said Saltz. "And what’s been found in several studies is that liberals tend to have a larger anterior cingulate gyrus. That is an area that is responsible for taking in new information and that impact of the new information on decision making or choices. Conservatives tended on the whole to have a larger right amygdala. Amygdala being a deeper brain structure that processes more emotional information—specifically fear-based information," Saltz explained.
                              "Basically the study showed that if you just based it on brain structural size difference, you could predict who would be a conservative and who would be a liberal with a frequency of 71.6 percent; 71.6 percent is a pretty high ability to predict who is a conservative and who is a liberal just from brain structure," Saltz said.

"When you look at what your parents were in terms of predicting what you might be in terms of conservative versus liberal, that enabled you to predict in studies at a rate of 69.5 percent. So very close. Not quite as good. And why is that interesting? It’s because the brain is plastic," Saltz continued.

Which is probably why it's possible to whip up conservatives into a frenzy of fear and anger against the people identified as different, but not so easy for liberal demagogues to do it to their followers.

Comment

I don't know how much of the Conservative cannon on education is verifiable or even theoretically sound. There is a certain logical disjunction between the ardent defense of the free market system's requirement of a disparity in poverty and wealthy on the one hand and the insistence that everyone can be as well educated and excellent (To what end? For what reason, if profound wealth requires miserable poverty) as the wealthiest/most privileged.

I've read quite a bit about Atlanta's public school system's cheating scandals. It's what happens when the tests are high stakes for the wrong person. Using tests to determine the capability of teachers and schools is a conservative idea, however, and not a liberal one--not supported by any of the education labor groups, at any rate.
                                As I've noted before "miserable poverty" in the U.S. generally entails having to buy generic cola rather than Coke or Pepsi. Multiple studies show that our poor live a lifestyle equivalent to what in most Western European countries is considered Middle Class.

Comment