Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ethics And Evolutionary Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics And Evolutionary Strategy

This came up in another thread but was off topic, I thought I would ask the question here: The Europeans come to North America, pretty much decimate the native population, and in the process create, arguably, one of the most powerful countries in history. From the evolutionary stand point this was a very successful strategy, and in the end, isn't that the most important consideration? So in the evolutionary sense - it was "good." Correct?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    This came up in another thread but was off topic, I thought I would ask the question here: The Europeans come to North America, pretty much decimate the native population, and in the process create, arguably, one of the most powerful countries in history. From the evolutionary stand point this was a very successful strategy, and in the end, isn't that the most important consideration? So in the evolutionary sense - it was "good." Correct?
    It wasn't very good for the Native Americans. "Good" is a relative and very subjective term.

It was also a cultural clash, nothing to do with biological evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
      It wasn't very good for the Native Americans. "Good" is a relative and very subjective term.

It was also a cultural clash, nothing to do with biological evolution.
      What else is there besides biological evolution? And no, it was not good for the the Native Americans. If a predatory bacteria comes in and destroys another species of bacteria that is bad for that particular species but good for the predatory species - and? Survival it always the main consideration - correct?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

What else is there besides biological evolution?
        In this case it was the same species with two very different cultures coming into conflict. Nothing to do with biological evolution.

And no, it was not good for the the Native Americans. If a predatory bacteria comes in and destroys another species of bacteria that is bad for that particular species but good for the predatory species - and? Survival it always the main consideration - correct?
        Europeans and Native American are the same species.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
          In this case it was the same species with two very different cultures coming into conflict. Nothing to do with biological evolution.
          You mean like this, this has nothing to do with biological evolution:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ggression.html

all of its adult males

Europeans and Native American are the same species.
          So were the chimpanzees above. But obviously one tribe survived to pass on their genes, the other didn't.

Comment

What else is there besides biological evolution? And no, it was not good for the the Native Americans. If a predatory bacteria comes in and destroys another species of bacteria that is bad for that particular species but good for the predatory species - and? Survival it always the main consideration - correct?
            Sociocultural evolution
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociocultural_evolution

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Nonsense, see my example of the chimpanzees above. It is biological evolution that created us to do such things. Besides I did not use the term biological evolution, I just said it was a good evolutionary strategy, sociocultural or otherwise. And if it is a good evolutionary strategy then how can it be ethically wrong?
              Last edited by seer; 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Nonsense, see my example of the chimpanzees above. It is biological evolution that created us to do such things. Besides I did not use the term biological evolution, I just said it was a good evolutionary strategy, sociocultural or otherwise. And if it is a good evolutionary strategy then how can it be ethically wrong?

Comment

But biology is what makes us what we are, dictates how we act. There is no overcoming our nature, because nature is all there is. So you agree that good/bad is not a factor in what the Europeans did?

Comment

From the evolutionary stand point this was a very successful strategy, and in the end, isn't that the most important consideration?
                    You grant evolution too much in the way of anthropomorphic traits. Evolution has no consideration. It can't, because it doesn't think or plan or reason. There can't be a 'most important consideration'. Even reproductive success, while essential for another generation to arise, is not a goal. Evolution has no goals. It's merely a description of interacting effects. Natural Selection plus Random Mutation. That's it.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

But biology is what makes us what we are, dictates how we act. There is no overcoming our nature, because nature is all there is. So you agree that good/bad is not a factor in what the Europeans did?

Comment

If you're try to establish that evolution is scientifically flawed because of possible evil cultural applications, you're as wrong as wrong can be.

Abus non tollit usum.

Hiroshima and Nagaski were a consequence of nuclear physics. What happened there was BAAADDD, ergo nuclear physics is BAAAADDD and therefore WRONG.

So then, what IS your point?

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                          If you're try to establish that evolution is scientifically flawed because of possible evil cultural applications, you're as wrong as wrong can be.

Abus non tollit usum.

Hiroshima and Nagaski were a consequence of nuclear physics. What happened there was BAAADDD, ergo nuclear physics is BAAAADDD and therefore WRONG.

So then, what IS your point?

K54
                          That's not his goal. His real goal is to find out how atheists consider morality in light of there being nothing more than biology at work. In his estimation, the only basis an atheist can have is evolution, and therefore whatever counts as evolutionary success must also count as a moral act.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                            That's not his goal. His real goal is to find out how atheists consider morality in light of there being nothing more than biology at work. In his estimation, the only basis an atheist can have is evolution, and therefore whatever counts as evolutionary success must also count as a moral act.
                            OK, then this thread doesn't belong in Natural Science.

BTW, our evolutionary history, and it's consequent influence on modern human behavior, smacks a lot of "Original Sin".

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                              OK, then this thread doesn't belong in Natural Science.

BTW, our evolutionary history, and it's consequent influence on modern human behavior, smacks a lot of "Original Sin".

K54
                              To be fair, I think it's ok in Nat. Sci. if it can be kept to how/if evolution gives rise to morality from a scientific perspective (if that's even possible). My intent was to correct what you assumed he was trying to establish.

I maintain that evolution is amoral, and that biology (science, really) is also amoral. To me, the entire question of evolutionary ethics relies on a false premise.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment