Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Takes On Campus Speech Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Takes On Campus Speech Police

Trump Takes On Campus Speech Police

Colleges and universities that limit freedom of speech are about to get clobbered big time. President Donald Trump came out swinging on Saturday against the higher-education establishment for violating our nation's most fundamental value: free expression, guaranteed in the Constitution First Amendment.

"I am proud to announce that I will be very soon signing an executive order requiring colleges and universities to support free speech if they want federal research funds," Trump told the right-leaning American Conservative Union at its influential annual Conservative Political Action Conference.

Then, Trump brought up onstage Hayden Williams, who got punched in the eye last month for expressing his political views while visiting the University of California, Berkeley. The president said, "If they want our dollars, and we give it to them by the billions, they've got to allow people like Hayden ... to speak."

Educators lashed out immediately. "This is a solution in search of a problem," claimed Terry W. Hartle, senior vice president of the American Council on Education. He insisted that "free speech is a core value" at universities. Don't believe it.

About 90 percent of colleges and universities restrict speech, according to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education. Campuses do it by imposing speech codes, empowering bias squads to detect and punish offensive language, and allowing mobs to drive controversial speakers from campus. Some schools even marginalize unpopular groups by cordoning them off in tiny, remote "free speech zones." Academics forget that the entire United States of America is supposed to be a free speech zone.......
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"free speech is a core value at universities"

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      "free speech is a core value at universities"

Once upon a time!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Once upon a time!
        Before most people living today were born.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

would such campuses have to have equal opportunity employment of conservatives?

Comment

https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...-2017/inquiry/

First Principles
            Everyone has the right to free speech within the law. Unless it is unlawful, speech should usually be allowed. Free speech within the law should mean just that. This can include the right to say things which, though lawful, others may find disturbing or upsetting.

The right extends further than just the right to make speeches. It extends to all forms of expression. Together, freedom of expression and freedom of association cover the right to form societies with lawful aims, even where those aims are not shared with the majority, and the right to peaceful protest.

Free speech is not an absolute right: it is right that there are limitations to ensure that it is not exercised in a way which causes harm to others. We note the law prohibits speech which, for example, incites murder, violence or terrorism; stirs up racial hatred, or hatred to other groups; causes fear of violence, alarm or distress, constitutes harassment or is defamatory or malicious. It does not prohibit speech which others may find upsetting or offensive.

This right to free speech is a foundation for democracy. It is important in all settings, but especially in universities, where education and learning are advanced through dialogue and debate. It underpins academic freedom. Universities are places where ideas are developed, a diverse range of interesting–and sometimes controversial–topics should be debated. Students are among those particularly affected.

A number of factors are limiting free speech including:
            • intolerant attitudes, often incorrectly using the banner of “no platforming” and “safe-space” policies;
            • incidents of unacceptable intimidatory behaviour by protestors intent on preventing free speech and debate;
            • unnecessary bureaucracy imposed on those organising events;
            • fear and confusion over what the Prevent duty entails;
            • regulatory complexity;
            • unduly complicated and cautious guidance from the Charity Commission;
            • concern by student unions not to infringe what they perceive to be restrictions.The Committee has examined the impact of these factors on free speech in universities and makes recommendations for those involved.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

First Principles
              Everyone has the right to free speech within the law. Unless it is unlawful, speech should usually be allowed. Free speech within the law should mean just that. This can include the right to say things which, though lawful, others may find disturbing or upsetting.

The right extends further than just the right to make speeches. It extends to all forms of expression. Together, freedom of expression and freedom of association cover the right to form societies with lawful aims, even where those aims are not shared with the majority, and the right to peaceful protest.

Free speech is not an absolute right: it is right that there are limitations to ensure that it is not exercised in a way which causes harm to others. We note the law prohibits speech which, for example, incites murder, violence or terrorism; stirs up racial hatred, or hatred to other groups; causes fear of violence, alarm or distress, constitutes harassment or is defamatory or malicious. It does not prohibit speech which others may find upsetting or offensive.

This right to free speech is a foundation for democracy. It is important in all settings, but especially in universities, where education and learning are advanced through dialogue and debate. It underpins academic freedom. Universities are places where ideas are developed, a diverse range of interesting–and sometimes controversial–topics should be debated. Students are among those particularly affected.

A number of factors are limiting free speech including:
              • intolerant attitudes, often incorrectly using the banner of “no platforming” and “safe-space” policies;
              • incidents of unacceptable intimidatory behaviour by protestors intent on preventing free speech and debate;
              • unnecessary bureaucracy imposed on those organising events;
              • fear and confusion over what the Prevent duty entails;
              • regulatory complexity;
              • unduly complicated and cautious guidance from the Charity Commission;
              • concern by student unions not to infringe what they perceive to be restrictions.The Committee has examined the impact of these factors on free speech in universities and makes recommendations for those involved.
              we are not in Great Britain FF we are in the United States of America where free speech is protected as long as you are not inciting anyone to violence

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                we are not in Great Britain FF we are in the United States of America where free speech is protected as long as you are not inciting anyone to violence
                Exactly. Speech that triggers someone is not unlawful. Speech that makes someone unhappy is not unlawful. Speech that upsets someone is not unlawful. Speech that someone disagrees with is not unlawful.

Liberals used to understand that. It was from UC Berkeley that the free speech movement started back in the 60s.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

First Principles

Free speech is not an absolute right: it is right that there are limitations to ensure that it is not exercised in a way which causes harm to others. We note the law prohibits speech which, for example, incites murder, violence or terrorism; stirs up racial hatred, or hatred to other groups; causes fear of violence, alarm or distress, constitutes harassment or is defamatory or malicious. It does not prohibit speech which others may find upsetting or offensive....
                  You started off real well, then you went sliding down that slippery slope and got baptized in scum pond.

I'll flesh this out later - right now, I gotsa hasta eat me some lasagna!!!

Comment

Calling a man a man has been described as anything from harassment, to inciting hatred, to being literal murder. So... I don't trust anyone who can't see that these rules are contrary to actual free speech.

Neither would you, firstfloor, if tomorrow all conservatives were elected to government, and their first act was to ban speech criticizing them for being "distressing." You only trust it because, right now, the ones enforcing it are the ones who agree with you. I don't trust anyone in power to defend my rights, when they aren't forced to do so.

Comment

If I remember rightly, the first time an Australian university allowed violent protests to shut down a scheduled address by an invited speaker here, the federal government invited universities to make sure it didn't happen again - with the further offer that if any of them did allow it to happen again, laws of the kind that Trump is talking about would be introduced.

Again - if I remember rightly - sometime last year.

(It might have been the second or third time)
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Exactly. Speech that triggers someone is not unlawful. Speech that makes someone unhappy is not unlawful. Speech that upsets someone is not unlawful. Speech that someone disagrees with is not unlawful.

Liberals used to understand that. It was from UC Berkeley that the free speech movement started back in the 60s.
                        What you point out actually goes along the lines of what FF wrote:

"Unless it is unlawful, speech should usually be allowed. Free speech within the law should mean just that. This can include the right to say things which, though lawful, others may find disturbing or upsetting."
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post

"Unless it is unlawful, speech should usually be allowed. Free speech within the law should mean just that. This can include the right to say things which, though lawful, others may find disturbing or upsetting."
                          For one, "intolerant attitudes." That is such a nebulous phrase that it most certainly encompasses the things I mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post

Well, he started off fine, then he dove in the deep end without his floaties.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              For one, "intolerant attitudes." That is such a nebulous phrase that it most certainly encompasses the things I mentioned.
                              Yes, who gets to determine what's "intolerant"?

Comment