Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nag Hammadi (Gnostic Christian AstroTheology)

Faith
    Hermeticism
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The Nag Hammadi (Gnostic Christian AstroTheology)

The Nag Hammadi is a collection of workings found in 1945 Egypt applying to Christian Astrotheology(Applying to the cosmos and astral realms or heavenly realms). They get into the origins of the realm and the creation of the world. The basis of the Nag Hammadi seems to be a half literal and half symbolic. The Archon section is a very interesting section. Archons are also known as the demigods or Djinns of Islam. The story seems to signify the descent of energy or astral energy trapped in physical matter. Some believe earth existed as an astral object which fell into physical matter.

Writings of creative and redemptive mythology, including Gnostic alternative versions of creation and salvation: The Apocryphon of John; The Hypostasis of the Archons; On the Origin of the World; The Apocalypse of Adam; The Paraphrase of Shem. (For an in-depth discussion of these, see the Archive commentary on Genesis and Gnosis.)

Observations and commentaries on diverse Gnostic themes, such as the nature of reality, the nature of the soul, the relationship of the soul to the world: The Gospel of Truth; The Treatise on the Resurrection; The Tripartite Tractate; Eugnostos the Blessed; The Second Treatise of the Great Seth; The Teachings of Silvanus; The Testimony of Truth.

Liturgical and initiatory texts: The Discourse on the Eighth and Ninth; The Prayer of Thanksgiving; A Valentinian Exposition; The Three Steles of Seth; The Prayer of the Apostle Paul. (The Gospel of Philip, listed under the sixth category below, has great relevance here also, for it is in effect a treatise on Gnostic sacramental theology).

Writings dealing primarily with the feminine deific and spiritual principle, particularly with the Divine Sophia: The Thunder, Perfect Mind; The Thought of Norea; The Sophia of Jesus Christ; The Exegesis on the Soul.

Writings pertaining to the lives and experiences of some of the apostles: The Apocalypse of Peter; The Letter of Peter to Philip; The Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles; The (First) Apocalypse of James; The (Second) Apocalypse of James, The Apocalypse of Paul.

Scriptures which contain sayings of Jesus as well as descriptions of incidents in His life: The Dialogue of the Saviour; The Book of Thomas the Contender; The Apocryphon of James; The Gospel of Philip; The Gospel of Thomas.
    http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've read the Nag Hammadi texts. They're a mishmash of incompatible systems; applying one's own fanciful post-modern interpretation isn't helpful. They have nothing whatever to do with Islam, for example.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    JohnHermes, you might want to split this discussion up by individual texts in different threads to facilitate discussion.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

High Priestess of the Pot Stirrers ke7ejx's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    JohnHermes, you might want to split this discussion up by individual texts in different threads to facilitate discussion.
    I don't think that will be necessary.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

5. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Hermeticism
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Good idea. I might continuously add texts and we can discuss the matters. Yes, but Islam has its own of esoteric aspects to it but doesn't have that gnostic info like the Nag Hammadi does. But to me the Abrahamic Religions all follow the Nag Hammadi including Islams. Djinns would be equivalent to the archons of the Nag hammadi. We're just giving different names for the same thing. For example the "shamans" don't call archons, archons. They call them 'fliers".

It's not necessary, but more organized? I'll maybe take whole sections of the Nag Hammadi and leave them up for discussion. We'll see how this thread does.
    Last edited by JohnHermes; 03-07-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHermes View Post
    Good idea. I might continuously add texts and we can discuss the matters. Yes, but Islam has its own of esoteric aspects to it but doesn't have that gnostic info like the Nag Hammadi does. But to me the Abrahamic Religions all follow the Nag Hammadi including Islams. Djinns would be equivalent to the archons of the Nag hammadi. We're just giving different names for the same thing. For example the "shamans" don't call archons, archons. They call them 'fliers".

It's not necessary, but more organized? I'll maybe take whole sections of the Nag Hammadi and leave them up for discussion. We'll see how this thread does.
    Djinni are not remotely equivalent to the archons of the Nag Hammadi. Neither do the "Abrahamic Religions" remotely follow the Nag Hammadi; that they follow a disparate collection of texts buried for 1500 years or so, many of which are uniquely attested in such collection, is beyond ridiculous.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

8. Amen DesertBerean, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Djinni are not remotely equivalent to the archons of the Nag Hammadi. Neither do the "Abrahamic Religions" remotely follow the Nag Hammadi; that they follow a disparate collection of texts buried for 1500 years or so, many of which are uniquely attested in such collection, is beyond ridiculous.
    I agree, but it might be worth offering an explanation as to why historians have come to this conclusion?
    Save me, save me"

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sorry....wrong thread.
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 03-08-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I agree with this....but please remember we DO have rules about post lengths on this forum. Not only is it bad manners, it makes it very very difficult to discuss key points.
    Did... did you just call OBP long winded?
    Save me, save me"

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    Did... did you just call OBP long winded?
    Yeah...sorry...wrong thread.