Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Calling white men racist seems to be the new "have you stopped beating your wife"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    6 is more than a few...
    Not necessarily.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
      Unbelievable.

You just quoted a source describing something as a fallacy* as support for that fallacy.

*"I will show that the kafkatrap is a form of argument that is so fallacious and manipulative that those subjected to it are entitled to reject it based entirely on the form of the argument, without reference to whatever particular sin or thoughtcrime is being alleged."
      So now it's a fallacy to tell people to be wary of certain manipulative arguments that try to induce guilt without making any specific claims against the target?

Yeah, okay. You go ahead and think that.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Unbelievable.

You just quoted a source describing something as a fallacy* as support for that fallacy.

*"I will show that the kafkatrap is a form of argument that is so fallacious and manipulative that those subjected to it are entitled to reject it based entirely on the form of the argument, without reference to whatever particular sin or thoughtcrime is being alleged."
        It is not saying the argument against the kafkatrap is fallacious, it is saying the kafkatrap argument is fallacious. The argument that a person is guilty because they belong to a group is what is fallacious. Read it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          So now it's a fallacy to tell people to be wary of certain manipulative arguments that try to induce guilt without making any specific claims against the target?

Yeah, okay. You go ahead and think that.
          He read it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            He read it wrong.
            Let's see how he responds...

Comment

It is not saying the argument against the kafkatrap is fallacious, it is saying the kafkatrap argument is fallacious. The argument that a person is guilty because they belong to a group is what is fallacious. Read it again.
              I don't need to read it again. I read it correctly first time. Read MM's post and my comment again. They don't say what you think they do.
              Last edited by Roy; 03-14-2019, 07:58 AM.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I don't need to read it again. I read it correctly first time. Read MM's post and my comment again. They don't say what you think they do.

You seem to think it is criticizing itself? It is criticizing the kafkatrap as a fallacy, then giving an example of why it is fallacious.

Comment

I don't need to read it again. I read it correctly first time.

Comment

You seem to think it is criticizing itself? It is criticizing the kafkatrap as a fallacy, then giving an example of why it is fallacious.
                    He seems to think that the essay is saying that you can reject a conclusion based simply on the fact that it is reached through fallacious reasoning, which would be a fallacy (for example, "All stars are 93-million miles away from the Earth; the Sun is a star; therefore, the Sun is 93-million miles away from the Earth"; the conclusion is true even though the argument is false), but that's not what the essay is saying. What it is saying is that if you're confronted with an argument that makes no specific claims against you and yet vaguely implies that you're guilty through fallacious reasoning (such as guilt by association, or broad brushing), then that argument can be rejected out of hand without further consideration; for instance, "You're guilty of racism whether or not you realize it because you have benefited from a society that rewards white privilege."

Comment

You think CRT is a kafkatrap, but you're conflating CRT with dumb claims made by idiots, rather than trying to understand what CRT actually is.

Comment

You think CRT is a kafkatrap, but you're conflating CRT with dumb claims made by idiots, rather than trying to understand what CRT actually is.
                        right now we are discussing your criticism of MM's source.

Comment

right now we are discussing your criticism of MM's source.
                          I didn't criticise MM's source.

You're misreading what I wrote, misguessing my meaning, and refusing to be corrected. This is pointless.

Comment

I didn't criticise MM's source.

You're misreading what I wrote, misguessing my meaning, and refusing to be corrected. This is pointless.
                            sure looks like exactly what you were doing:

Unbelievable.

Comment

I'm not sure even he knows what he's arguing at this point, but it's something I posted, so he just has to be against it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I'm not sure even he knows what he's arguing at this point, but it's something I posted, so he just has to be against it!
                                methinks Roy hates it when people nitpick him like he does them

Comment