Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Calling white men racist seems to be the new "have you stopped beating your wife"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Mountain Man does, in fact, understand it quite well. Of course your comment should have been dismissed without response since you never brothered to demonstrate in what way Mountain Man supposedly doesn't understand.
    There's no point, since he doesn't want to understand. His cited source doesn't support his claim, but he hasn't noticed. He's trying to learn about CRT from its detractors rather than from its proponents or even from neutral observers, which is a really bad way to learn about something.

It'd be like trying to learn about the evidence for evolution by reading YECs, or trying to learn about the evidence for climate change by reading deniers.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
      There's no point, since he doesn't want to understand. His cited source doesn't support his claim, but he hasn't noticed. He's trying to learn about CRT from its detractors rather than from its proponents or even from neutral observers, which is a really bad way to learn about something.

It'd be like trying to learn about the evidence for evolution by reading YECs, or trying to learn about the evidence for climate change by reading deniers.

Your pathetic ad hominem and genetic fallacy is duly noted.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

please educate us, your Majesty.

Reading about it from here: https://spacrs.wordpress.com/what-is...l-race-theory/

It seems that MM is correct. CRT's core thesis seems to be that all whites are racist because white's have the power and authority (White Privilege) therefore even if an individual is not racist, he is actually racist because he belongs to the white race. And minorities can't be racist because they don't have any societal power.

It's a load of malarkey.

Comment

"CRT recognizes that racism is engrained in the fabric and system of the American society. The individual racist need not exist to note that institutional racism is pervasive in the dominant culture. This is the analytical lens that CRT uses in examining existing power structures. CRT identifies that these power structures are based on white privilege and white supremacy, which perpetuates the marginalization of people of color."

In other words, even if a white person is not a racist, he's still a racist, and there's nothing he can say in his own defense. It's a classic kafkatrap.

Comment

"CRT recognizes that racism is engrained in the fabric and system of the American society. The individual racist need not exist to note that institutional racism is pervasive in the dominant culture. This is the analytical lens that CRT uses in examining existing power structures. CRT identifies that these power structures are based on white privilege and white supremacy, which perpetuates the marginalization of people of color."

In other words, even if a white person is not a racist, he's still a racist, and there's nothing he can say in his own defense. It's a classic kafkatrap.
            This is such crap...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              please educate us, your Majesty.

Reading about it from here: https://spacrs.wordpress.com/what-is...l-race-theory/

It seems that MM is correct. CRT's core thesis seems to be that all whites are racist because...
              No, it's not. CRT's core thesis is that societal structure is racist, so that even if individuals are not racist, there is still inequality because of historical factors. It doesn't say that all whites are racist, it says that all whites, racist or not, are favoured by pre-existing laws, customs or circumstances.
              And minorities can't be racist because they don't have any societal power.
              I have no idea where you get that from. It's not in your source, and is a ridiculous idea.
              It's a load of malarkey.
              Your mischaracterisation is certainly malarkey.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

No, it's not. CRT's core thesis is that societal structure is racist...
                And the evidence for this is what?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  And the evidence for this is what?
                  In Sparko's link: "CRT recognizes that racism is engrained in the fabric and system of the American society."

But I suppose you're demanding evidence that US societal structure is actually racist, not merely that CRT claims that.

Comment

In Sparko's link: "CRT recognizes that racism is engrained in the fabric and system of the American society."

But I suppose you're demanding evidence that US societal structure is actually racist, not merely that CRT claims that.
                    Right, what does societal structure being racist even mean? And where is the evidence?

Comment

We white people really suck!

Study finds a race gap in air pollution — whites largely cause it; blacks and Hispanics breathe it

The air that Americans breathe isn't equal.

Blacks and Hispanics disproportionately breathe air that's been polluted by non-Hispanic whites, according to a study. This new research quantifies for the first time the racial gap between who causes air pollution – and who breathes it.

"Pollution is disproportionately caused by whites, but disproportionately inhaled by black and Hispanic minorities," the study said.

Poor air quality remains the largest environmental health risk in the United States, the study warns. In fact, with 100,000 deaths per year, more Americans die from air pollution than car crashes and murders combined.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/3130783002/

Comment

No, it's not. CRT's core thesis is that societal structure is racist, so that even if individuals are not racist, there is still inequality because of historical factors. It doesn't say that all whites are racist, it says that all whites, racist or not, are favoured by pre-existing laws, customs or circumstances. I have no idea where you get that from. It's not in your source, and is a ridiculous idea.Your mischaracterisation is certainly malarkey.
                        Go back and check out some of the links I posted earlier where SJWs are saying all white people are racist and minorities can't be racist.

I don't know about you, but I am not responsible for how society treated blacks 150 years ago. And how would that even work with the UK who never had black slaves? Under this CRT idea, not only is an entire race being called racist (that is a racist thing to do, how ironic) and being held responsible for their ancestor's actions, it means they can never be free of that accusation. The white race will forever be "racist" because there is no forgiveness for the past. The whole CRT is nothing but reverse racism.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Go back and check out some of the links I posted earlier where SJWs are saying all white people are racist and minorities can't be racist.
                          Why? Are they talking about Critical Race Theory? I know such claims have been made. I also know they're not part of CRT.

I don't know about you, but I am not responsible for how society treated blacks 150 years ago. And how would that even work with the UK who never had black slaves? Under this CRT idea, not only is an entire race being called racist...
                          No, they aren't. Saying that a society is effectively racist does not mean that every member of the majority in that society is racist. Especially when CRT explicitly says that "the individual racist need not exist."
                          ...being held responsible for their ancestor's actions, ...
                          They may be, but once again that isn't part of CRT.
                          The whole CRT is nothing but reverse racism.
                          Do you that a few decades ago, when US society definitely was racist due to laws about segregation and miscegenation, that meant all whites were racists?
                          If you don't, why would claiming that US society is still racist mean that all whites are racist now?

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                            Saying that a society is effectively racist does not mean that every member of the majority in that society is racist.
                            That's essentially what it is saying.

Sometimes the kafkatrap is presented in less direct forms. A common variant, which I’ll call the Model C, is to assert something like this: “Even if you do not feel yourself to be guilty of {sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…}, you are guilty because you have benefited from the {sinful,racist,sexist,homophobic,oppressive,…} behavior of others in the system.” The aim of the Model C is to induce the subject to self-condemnation not on the basis of anything the individual subject has actually done, but on the basis of choices by others which the subject typically had no power to affect. The subject must at all costs be prevented from noticing that it is not ultimately possible to be responsible for the behavior of other free human beings.

A close variant of the model C is the model P: “Even if you do not feel yourself to be guilty of {sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…}, you are guilty because you have a privileged position in the {sinful,racist,sexist,homophobic,oppressive,…} system.” For the model P to work, the subject must be prevented from noticing that the demand to self-condemn is not based on the subject’s own actions or choices or feelings, but rather on an in-group identification ascribed by the operator of the kafkatrap.

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-13-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Why? Are they talking about Critical Race Theory? I know such claims have been made. I also know they're not part of CRT.

No, they aren't. Saying that a society is effectively racist does not mean that every member of the majority in that society is racist. Especially when CRT explicitly says that "the individual racist need not exist."They may be, but once again that isn't part of CRT. Do you that a few decades ago, when US society definitely was racist due to laws about segregation and miscegenation, that meant all whites were racists?
                              If you don't, why would claiming that US society is still racist mean that all whites are racist now?
                              6 is more than a few...
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Saying that a society is effectively racist does not mean that every member of the majority in that society is racist.
                                That's essentially what it is saying.

Sometimes the kafkatrap is presented in less direct forms. A common variant, which I’ll call the Model C, is to assert something like this: “Even if you do not feel yourself to be guilty of {sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…}, you are guilty because you have benefited from the {sinful,racist,sexist,homophobic,oppressive,…} behavior of others in the system.” The aim of the Model C is to induce the subject to self-condemnation not on the basis of anything the individual subject has actually done, but on the basis of choices by others which the subject typically had no power to affect. The subject must at all costs be prevented from noticing that it is not ultimately possible to be responsible for the behavior of other free human beings.

A close variant of the model C is the model P: “Even if you do not feel yourself to be guilty of {sin,racism,sexism, homophobia,oppression…}, you are guilty because you have a privileged position in the {sinful,racist,sexist,homophobic,oppressive,…} system.” For the model P to work, the subject must be prevented from noticing that the demand to self-condemn is not based on the subject’s own actions or choices or feelings, but rather on an in-group identification ascribed by the operator of the kafkatrap.

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122
                                Unbelievable.

You just quoted a source describing something as a fallacy* as support for that fallacy.

*"I will show that the kafkatrap is a form of argument that is so fallacious and manipulative that those subjected to it are entitled to reject it based entirely on the form of the argument, without reference to whatever particular sin or thoughtcrime is being alleged."

Comment