Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The book Darwin Devolves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    According to this paper, about half of the mutations are neutral, and about half are deleterious. So most gene duplications will provide only degraded genes for selection to work with (we can disregard neutral mutations, which are invisible to selection).

Agreed...

Blessings,
    Lee
    According to this paper?!?!?! The paper does not represent a scientific reference.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

According to this paper, about half of the mutations are neutral, and about half are deleterious. So most gene duplications will provide only degraded genes for selection to work with (we can disregard neutral mutations, which are invisible to selection).
      Which paper?

From everything I've read neutral mutations, those that have no effect on fitness[1], make up the vast majority of all mutations. IIRC they consist of something like 80 to 90% of all mutations.

1. In biology "fitness" doesn't mean faster, stronger etc. but being able to survive and reproduce therefore passing on the organism's genes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Which paper?
        This paper here, quoted in "Debating Darwin's Doubt".

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

According to this paper
          The paper which describes the evolution of new protein function. Nice foot self-shooting there Lee.

Comment

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
            The paper which describes the evolution of new protein function.
            Right, isn't that what is of interest? A gene duplicates, and then one copy can evolve new function.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Right, isn't that what is of interest? A gene duplicates, and then one copy can evolve new function.

Blessings,
              Lee
              Again, and than you have no problem with natural evolution.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Which directly falsifies Behe's ridiculous claim evolution only works by "breaking things" and degrading information. BANG! Another shot to your own foot.

Comment

Well, I think the paper was referencing protein coding duplications: "the fitness distribution of mutations at the protein level". But surely mutations in regulatory DNA fit this profile too, where most mutations are neutral or deleterious.
                  You have no idea whether that's true or not.

And protein coding duplications are irrelevant if they don't also include the regulator DNA that ensures the proteins are expressed.

Why don't you bother to learn some biology if you intend to keep talking about it? It would save you from saying nonsensical stuff like this. And while you're at it, i'd also suggest saying nothing when you're ignorant.
                  "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                    Which directly falsifies Behe's ridiculous claim evolution only works by "breaking things" and degrading information.
                    Behe doesn't say evolution only works this way, he says evolution generally devolves.

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                      You have no idea whether that's true or not.
                      I expect most mutations of any type follow the same pattern, where they are mostly neutral or deleterious. If you want to control something, and the control knob is twisted, you don't tend to get a better result.

And protein coding duplications are irrelevant if they don't also include the regulator DNA that ensures the proteins are expressed.
                      That's fine, that makes sense. I was intending the whole gene duplication, which would, upon consideration, include the regulatory DNA.

Why don't you bother to learn some biology if you intend to keep talking about it?
                      I do know some biology, though not as much as others here, but I find Behe's arguments hold up pretty well when I try them out.

This one just makes sense, selection will most often find broken or damaged genes to work with, and once selected and fixed, it is unlikely that the damage can be undone.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

According to this paper, about half of the mutations are neutral, and about half are deleterious.
                        The three step approach to refuting creationist garage:

1) Quote their claim.
                        2) Quote their cited source
                        3) Note the glaring discrepancy.

In this case, Dory's source says this: "most of the mutations are either neutral or deleterious."

That does not mean that half are neutral and half deleterious.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post

1) Quote their claim.

In this case, Dory's source says this: "most of the mutations are either neutral or deleterious."

If that's the case no wonder I couldn't find what he was talking about. I started to wonder what I had missed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post

1) Quote their claim.

Then I quoted 40% are damaging, and 8% remove all function, and .1% are beneficial.

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

I do know some biology, though not as much as others here, but I find Behe's arguments hold up pretty well when I try them out.

This one just makes sense, selection will most often find broken or damaged genes to work with, and once selected and fixed, it is unlikely that the damage can be undone.

Blessings,
                              Lee

facepalm mega.gif
                              Science isn't based on "this makes sense" but rather on what the evidence reveals. And that's ALL the evidence, not just the bits that you might think confirms what you have decided "makes sense."

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Science isn't based on "this makes sense" but rather on what the evidence reveals.
                                He would make a great Aristotelean. Lousy scientist, but great Aristotelean.

Also, i'm debating what, exactly, this is an example of:
                                Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                                Or, paraphrased, "I don't know as much as everybody here who's telling me that Behe is wrong, but in my ignorance, it's easy to convince myself that Behe is right." It's not quite Dunning-Kruger, but it is a sort of confirmation bias wedded with unjustified overconfidence, with a dash of the death of expertise thrown in. Is there a technical term for that?
                                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment