Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The book Darwin Devolves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    So evolution would tend to get stuck, even if selective pressure was reversed, it would be difficult for the mutations to reverse.

Source: Darwin Devolves

If they are right, as there is every reason to think, the results throttle Darwinian evolution even further.

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    This total nonsense. Evolution does not rely on mutations in reverse. Again Behe nonsense not meaningful to the science of evolution.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

So evolution would tend to get stuck, even if selective pressure was reversed, it would be difficult for the mutations to reverse.

If they are right, as there is every reason to think, the results throttle Darwinian evolution even further.

Evolution doesn't require that mutations reverse.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
        I really have to wonder just where Lee, and Behe, come up with this stuff. It is total nonsense.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In the book Darwin Devolves, Behe mentions work by Thornton that states that evolution doesn't seem to have a reverse:

Source: Thornton

Whether evolution can go back to an ancestral structure just by reversing the selection pressure on function has been a long-standing issue, but one hard to address based on just the history of forms. Bridgham et al. have now physically reconstituted ancient versions of a regulatory protein ... They find that amino acids that were essential in an ancestral protein become neutral in a more recent form, where they are then subject to erosion by genetic drift. This loss deprives natural selection of the necessary raw material with which to reverse the historical substitutions — they are no longer 'adaptive' as they were in the other direction. Evolutionarily speaking, there is no turning back.

Source

Behe writes:

In fact, they predict that further work “will support a molecular version of Dollo’s Law.” That is, “as evolution proceeds, shifts in protein structure-function relations become increasingly difficult to reverse.” If they are right, as there is every reason to think, the results throttle Darwinian evolution even further.

Blessings,
          Lee
          You need to describe specifically why evolution why evolution would require reverse mutations.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon
            You need to describe specifically why evolution why evolution would require reverse mutations.
            No it doesn't, but if evolution goes down a path of deleterious mutations, it would then be difficult to reverse those, even if selective pressure is reversed.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

No it doesn't, but if evolution goes down a path of deleterious mutations, it would then be difficult to reverse those, even if selective pressure is reversed.
              SO WHAT?

If evolution goes down a path of neutral or beneficial mutations that later prove to be deleterious due to environmental shifts, it still isn't necessary to reverse those mutations. Are you not aware that other mutations may arise that compensate, as has been explained to you multiple times by TheLurch in this very thread? Are you not even aware that species that cannot adapt to changing environments fast enough go extinct?

Once again you show no sign of knowing anything at all about evolution, not even what you could have learnt last week.

Your ignorance is not an argument.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Blessings,
                Lee
                Deleterious mutations simply cause organisms to fail to compete, organism dies or fails to reproduce. You know survival of the fittest, or thinning the herd eliminating those not able to compete. There is no need for reverse mutations. Again this line of reasoning simply fails to be meaningful concerning the science of evolution.

Deleterious mutations do not effect the survival of the species, nor evolution, unless, of course, there is a nuclear war, or the sun goes nuclear.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-23-2019, 12:20 PM.

Frank

Comment

If evolution goes down a path of neutral or beneficial mutations that later prove to be deleterious due to environmental shifts, it still isn't necessary to reverse those mutations. Are you not aware that other mutations may arise that compensate...
                  Certainly, but the most direct path back to a previous state is to reverse the mutations. That would seem to be easy, but the paper states that this would be difficult.

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Deleterious mutations simply cause organisms to fail to compete, organism dies or fails to reproduce. You know survival of the fittest, or thinning the herd eliminating those not able to compete. There is no need for reverse mutations.
                    But if selective pressure is reversed, should we expect to see evolution travel in that direction? The surprising answer is, no.

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

But if selective pressure is reversed, should we expect to see evolution travel in that direction? The surprising answer is, no.

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      The not so surprising answer is none of the above. Selective pressure does not reverse mutation. In fact reverse mutations do not likely exist at all. Natural Genetic drift provides the genetic diversity for evolution. Selective pressure based on changes in the environment and adaptation to new environments. Based on observation of the different ecosystems of our world, the more naturally abundant environments such as tropical rain forests, and shallow temperate to tropical seas have the greatest genetic diversity and the fertile ground for the future evolution of species.

Again, deleterious mutations are dead ends, and lead to the failure of individuals to survive and reproduce, and do not contribute to the evolution of species.

just selectively acts on the genetic diversity of the population of the species available at the time.

Frank

Comment

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        Why do you think that it would even take such a path when selective pressure would weed them out?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Certainly, but the most direct path back to a previous state is to reverse the mutations. That would seem to be easy, but the paper states that this would be difficult.

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          Not just difficult, most likely impossible, because the individuals with deleterious mutations would not survive.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Why do you think that it would even take such a path when selective pressure would weed them out?
                            Originally posted by shunyadragon
                            Not just difficult, most likely impossible, because the individuals with deleterious mutations would not survive.
                            Sorry, I should have said mutations which degrade or disable a gene, but which provide a selective advantage.

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

Sorry, I should have said mutations which degrade or disable a gene, but which provide a selective advantage.
                              Those are called beneficial mutations, just so you know, and they tend to accumulate.

Comment

Again, SO WHAT? Evolution doesn't require a return to a previous state.

Comment