Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The book Darwin Devolves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I like Lee. If nothing else he's a brother in Christ. But it really does seem that he is only capable of observing any and all evidence through a lens of his own preconceptions.
    I second that, though I don't claim to be a Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      About 1 per gene per 100 million years! In eukaryotes...

Blessings,
      Lee
      Not a coherent answer, and a meaningless assertion.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Not a coherent answer, and a meaningless assertion.
        It's just Dory quote-mining a value from a paper he hasn't read and doesn't understand.

Comment

About 1 per gene per 100 million years! In eukaryotes...
          Checking Dory's source exposes that this is the fixation rate, not the occurrence rate. It's also, as he noted, the per gene rate, not the rate for the entire genome.

Factoring in the current human population and number of genes, with an approximated generation time of 25 years, gives an estimated rate of gene duplication mutations in humans of about seventy thousand every year. That's almost enough to duplicate every gene three times.

That differs from Dory's suggested commonality by 13 orders of magnitude.
          Last edited by Roy; 04-15-2019, 04:57 AM.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Did you realize that there are typically multiple duplications in every human that weren't present in either parent? Now imagine how common duplicated genes are in something like E. coli.
            No, I wasn't aware of that.
            What do you base your "unlikely" on?
            Well for one:

Source: Lehigh response

The rate of any particular gene suffering a degradative mutation is expected to be about a hundred times faster than duplication. Thus every gene that could help by being degraded would have an average of 100 chances to do so for every one chance another gene would have that could help by duplicating.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

So Dory bases his "unlikely" on being ignorant of how frequent gene duplications are, and being ignorant of means of correcting hypomorphs other than gene duplication (which he was told a week ago but has apparently forgotten).
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Checking Dory's source exposes that this is the fixation rate, not the occurrence rate. It's also, as he noted, the per gene rate, not the rate for the entire genome.

Factoring in the current human population and number of genes, with an approximated generation time of 25 years, gives an estimated rate of gene duplication mutations in humans of about seventy thousand every year. That's almost enough to duplicate every gene three times.

Which would make the human genome project impossible. But I believe the 1 in 100 million years is a population fixation rate per gene.

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Which would make the human genome project impossible. But I believe the 1 in 100 million years is a population fixation rate per gene.

Blessings,
                Lee
                You may believe this, but . . . not supported by a legitimate scientific reference not quoted out of context, which is your modus oporandi.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  You may believe this, but . . . not supported by a legitimate scientific reference not quoted out of context, which is your modus oporandi.
                  How have I misquoted the reference?

Source: Zhang

Lynch and Conery estimated that gene duplication arises (and is fixed in populations) at an approximate rate of 1 gene-1 100 million years (MY)-1 in eukaryotes such as Homo sapiens, Mus musculus, D. melanogaster, Caenorhabditis elegans…

Source

"What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Source: Zhang

Lynch and Conery estimated that gene duplication arises (and is fixed in populations) at an approximate rate of 1 gene-1 100 million years (MY)-1 in eukaryotes such as Homo sapiens, Mus musculus, D. melanogaster, Caenorhabditis elegans…

Source

Yes, as Roy pointed out unethical dishonest selective citation to justify your religious agenda.

Frank

Comment

Which would make the human genome project impossible.
                      It wouldn't, of course, since that still leaves 280 million people born every year who don't have a gene duplication. The HGP can (and did) simply note what gene set is possessed by more than 99.9% of the population.

Your objection is akin to claiming it's impossible to know how many fingers humans have because some people are amputees.
                      But I believe the 1 in 100 million years is a population fixation rate per gene.
                      What you believe is irrelevant.

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                      You've quoted it correctly. But you've shown no sign of understanding what it means, and several signs of not having the faintest idea.
                      Last edited by Roy; 04-16-2019, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• In the book Darwin Devolves, Behe mentions work by Thornton that states that evolution doesn't seem to have a reverse:

Source: Thornton

Whether evolution can go back to an ancestral structure just by reversing the selection pressure on function has been a long-standing issue, but one hard to address based on just the history of forms. Bridgham et al. have now physically reconstituted ancient versions of a regulatory protein ... They find that amino acids that were essential in an ancestral protein become neutral in a more recent form, where they are then subject to erosion by genetic drift. This loss deprives natural selection of the necessary raw material with which to reverse the historical substitutions — they are no longer 'adaptive' as they were in the other direction. Evolutionarily speaking, there is no turning back.

Source

Behe writes:

Source: Darwin Devolves

In fact, they predict that further work “will support a molecular version of Dollo’s Law.” That is, “as evolution proceeds, shifts in protein structure-function relations become increasingly difficult to reverse.” If they are right, as there is every reason to think, the results throttle Darwinian evolution even further.

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        Last edited by lee_merrill; 04-20-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

In the book Darwin Devolves, Behe mentions work by Thornton that states that evolution doesn't seem to have a reverse:

Whether evolution can go back to an ancestral structure just by reversing the selection pressure on function has been a long-standing issue, but one hard to address based on just the history of forms. Bridgham et al. have now physically reconstituted ancient versions of a regulatory protein ... They find that amino acids that were essential in an ancestral protein become neutral in a more recent form, where they are then subject to erosion by genetic drift. This loss deprives natural selection of the necessary raw material with which to reverse the historical substitutions — they are no longer 'adaptive' as they were in the other direction. Evolutionarily speaking, there is no turning back.

Source

Behe writes:

In fact, they predict that further work “will support a molecular version of Dollo’s Law.” That is, “as evolution proceeds, shifts in protein structure-function relations become increasingly difficult to reverse.” If they are right, as there is every reason to think, the results throttle Darwinian evolution even further.

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          As clearly demonstrated by The Lurch and Roy Behe clearly unethically and selectively abuses science for a religious agenda, and you persist in mindlessly citing his trash.

Frank

Comment

In the book Darwin Devolves, Behe mentions work by Thornton that states that evolution doesn't seem to have a reverse:
                            Right. It's difficult to reverse a whole series of adaptive or neutral changes.

So what?

Comment

Source

Behe writes:

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              In more careful reading, evolution is not dependent on nor is their any concept of a reversal. Hiw is this meaningful to the discussion?

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                Right. It's difficult to reverse a whole series of adaptive or neutral changes.

So what?
                                Originally posted by shunyadragon
                                Hiw is this meaningful to the discussion?
                                So evolution would tend to get stuck, even if selective pressure was reversed, it would be difficult for the mutations to reverse.

If they are right, as there is every reason to think, the results throttle Darwinian evolution even further.

Blessings,
                                Lee

Comment