Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

50 snared in elite college cheating scam...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 snared in elite college cheating scam...

Good for me, but not for thee...

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin among 50 snared in elite college cheating scam, authorities say

Actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin were among more than four dozen people charged in a nationwide college admissions cheating scandal that involved wealthy individuals paying up to $6.5 million to place their children into elite universities, according to court records revealed Tuesday.

The alleged scam -- which involved students being placed into top colleges such as Yale, Georgetown, Stanford, University of Southern California, UCLA and the University of Texas -- was run by a man in California, William Rick Singer, who helped parents get their children into the schools through bribes, court documents unsealed in Boston showed. Officials have been investigating the scam for more than a year.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/college-e...-exam-cheating
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Wait... I thought the COACHES paid the athletes, not vice versa...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

As someone in an elite school...

fry.gif

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
        As someone in an elite school...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35616[/ATTACH]
        I am guessing there will be several openings in these schools very soon, as the undeserving students get kicked out.

Comment

See, if these kids are not smart enough to get into one of these schools on their own, they'll have to cheat to get in. Then they'll have to cheat to get good enough grades to pass their classes. Then after they graduate, they'll get a job that is WAY over their heads, and then what are they gonna do?
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Somehow I'm just not surprised. I'll take my non-privileged life over this any day!
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Getting Ahead

The original ‘Fargo’ was, and remains, a remarkable motion picture that I would happily recommend to any of you movie buffs. Can you possibly imagine how disappointed I was to discover that the brilliant William H Macey’s wife was embroiled in this latest college admissions scandal? I don’t think I could ever again sit down to watch that film without worrying about rich parents getting their kids into elite universities.

Moderated By: CP

Merged this thread with one already on this topic

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-13-2019, 10:20 AM.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                The original ‘Fargo’ was, and remains, a remarkable motion picture that I would happily recommend to any of you movie buffs. Can you possibly imagine how disappointed I was to discover that the brilliant William H Macey’s wife was embroiled in this latest college admissions scandal? I don’t think I could ever again sit down to watch that film without worrying about rich parents getting their kids into elite universities.
                Don't worry - although he somehow survives Jurassic Park 3, he gets his comeuppance in True Lies.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Interesting take by Ben Shapiro...

Colleges aren’t about training kids for the real world, or teaching them significant modes of thinking, or examining timeless truths. Universities aren’t about skill sets, either – at least in the humanities. They’re about two things: credentialism and social connections...

...After I was admitted to Harvard Law School, I attended orientation. Our 500-strong class was gathered in Memorial Hall, in historic Sanders Theater, where then-Dean Elena Kagan (now Supreme Court Justice) spoke to us. She informed us that the competition was over – we were in! No need to worry about the stuff we’d seen in The Paper Chase – we were all going to leave with degrees and jobs. Not just that – as graduates of Harvard Law, we were destined to rule the universe. She informed us of how many alumni were in the Senate, how many in Congress, how many on the Supreme Court. The battle was over upon our acceptance to the institution.https://www.dailywire.com/news/44571...ir-ben-shapiro
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Interesting take by Ben Shapiro...
                    That speech is delivered every year, except the year I was admitted. John Manning decided *not* to give the treadmill speech (in the speech whoever is speaking uses the analogy of getting off the treadmill), although my section leader referenced it at one point. It's actually really overblown. Competition for certain jobs and clerkships is still tight.

Tbh, the social connection thing is extremely true though.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

That speech is delivered every year, except the year I was admitted. John Manning decided *not* to give the treadmill speech (in the speech whoever is speaking uses the analogy of getting off the treadmill), although my section leader referenced it at one point. It's actually really overblown. Competition for certain jobs and clerkships is still tight.

Tbh, the social connection thing is extremely true though.
                      So you were designed to rule the universe too?

Comment

So you were designed to rule the universe too?
                        We shall see.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

Good for me, but not for thee...
                          This reflects the contemporary world where the corrupt wealthy are in control like Trump.

Moderated By: BTC

I fixed your capitalization error. You're welcome.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Bill the Cat; 03-13-2019, 02:26 PM.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            This reflects the contemporary world where the corrupt wealthy are in control like tRump.
                            Well no, Trump was elected...

Comment

We shall see.
                              Will you require animal sacrifice? I have a cat I'm not too fond of...
                              Last edited by seer; 03-13-2019, 02:52 PM.

Comment