Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: Archeology oopses

  1. #21
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,945
    Amen (Given)
    1483
    Amen (Received)
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Source: Bryant Wood

    Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine.

    © Copyright Original Source


    So there is no claim here that the Pentateuch is from about 2300 BCE.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    I did not say there was no 'claim.' Bryant Wood is a young earth Creationist with a literal Biblical agenda.

    I said, the best comprehensive academic translations, and commentary say 'no,' and as your citation stated, "The present consensus is that Ebla's role in biblical archaeology, strictly speaking, is minimal."

    The minimal extent is in the context is that Sumerian records are the earliest of the evolution of cuneiform text as previously described
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  2. #22
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,072
    Amen (Given)
    316
    Amen (Received)
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Source: Bryant Wood

    Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine.

    © Copyright Original Source



    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill
    So there is no claim here that the Pentateuch is from about 2300 BCE.
    I'm confused.
    So the claim by the skeptics was that the accounts in the Pentateuch were invalid, since "Canaan" was said to be a name newer than 2300 B.C. The Ebla tablets show that the name "Canaan" was after all used as early as 2300 B.C., so the accounts in the Pentateuch can be valid, and the Pentateuch itself could have written down or included these accounts later;

    Like the Pentateuch includes "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth", but that doesn't imply that the Pentateuch was written back then...

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  3. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
  4. #23
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,072
    Amen (Given)
    316
    Amen (Received)
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I said, the best comprehensive academic translations, and commentary say 'no,' and as your citation stated, "The present consensus is that Ebla's role in biblical archaeology, strictly speaking, is minimal."
    And as my citation states, "Canaanites" are mentioned in the Ebla tablets. Are you saying they are not mentioned?!

    That (and the mention of "tehom") is all that is being claimed here.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  5. #24
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,945
    Amen (Given)
    1483
    Amen (Received)
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    So the claim by the skeptics was that the accounts in the Pentateuch were invalid, since "Canaan" was said to be a name newer than 2300 B.C. The Ebla tablets show that the name "Canaan" was after all used as early as 2300 B.C., so the accounts in the Pentateuch can be valid, and the Pentateuch itself could have written down or included these accounts later;
    The issue is not whether the Pentateuch is valid or not. The question is the relationship between the Elba tablets and the Hebrew Pentateuch. NO, the word 'Canaan' is not necessarily newer than 2300 BCE. Canaan is simply the ancient name of a region around Palestine. As far as I know the Elba tablets did not mention 'Canaanites,' but I will check.


    Like the Pentateuch includes "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth", but that doesn't imply that the Pentateuch was written back then. . .
    Actually no, it does imply nothing other than the claim that "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth"

    . . . as your citation stated, "The present consensus is that Ebla's role in biblical archaeology, strictly speaking, is minimal."

    There is a relationship but it is minimal.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-20-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •