Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Archeology oopses

  1. #11
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    993
    Amen (Given)
    298
    Amen (Received)
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    As cited upon more complete academic study of the Elba cuneiform texts these names are not found in the Elba cuneiform texts.
    But I didn't see these names listed in the references you brought up.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  2. #12
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,768
    Amen (Given)
    1455
    Amen (Received)
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    But I didn't see these names listed in the references you brought up.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    . . . because the Hebrew names are not remotely in the Elba cuneiform tablets.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  3. #13
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    993
    Amen (Given)
    298
    Amen (Received)
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    . . . because the Hebrew names are not remotely in the Elba cuneiform tablets.
    But how do you know that? I have two references that say Canaan is in the tablets.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  4. #14
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,768
    Amen (Given)
    1455
    Amen (Received)
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    But how do you know that? I have two references that say Canaan is in the tablets.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    Know?!?!? That is an way to challenge this. I used the latter academic translations to support this and your references do not reflect the latest academic translations. The relationship between Hebrew and Canaanite/Ugarit language in their cuneiform tablets is better documented.

    The only thing that the Sumerian tablets show is the earliest evolution of written cuneiform to later script from Sumerian>Babylonian>Canaanite/Ugarit languages that eventually became the basis for the Hebrew languages, and the history, myths and legends that contributed to the compilation, edited and redacted Pentateuch between ~1000-600 BCE.

    It does not support the existence of Hebrew text ~2300 BCE for which there is no evidence.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  5. #15
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    993
    Amen (Given)
    298
    Amen (Received)
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Know?!?!? That is an way to challenge this. I used the latter academic translations to support this and your references do not reflect the latest academic translations.
    Well, Wikipedia has a reference to 2007:

    Source: Wikipedia

    The tablets provide a wealth of information on Syria and Canaan in the Early Bronze Age,[8] and include the first known references to the "Canaanites", "Ugarit", and "Lebanon".[9]

    Source

    © Copyright Original Source


    Though they do say that "The present consensus is that Ebla's role in biblical archaeology, strictly speaking, is minimal.[2]", the point remains that Canaanites are mentioned, which along with "tehom", is all that is claimed in the opening post.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  6. #16
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,768
    Amen (Given)
    1455
    Amen (Received)
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, Wikipedia has a reference to 2007:

    Source: Wikipedia

    The tablets provide a wealth of information on Syria and Canaan in the Early Bronze Age,[8] and include the first known references to the "Canaanites", "Ugarit", and "Lebanon".[9]

    Source

    © Copyright Original Source


    Though they do say that "The present consensus is that Ebla's role in biblical archaeology, strictly speaking, is minimal.[2]", the point remains that Canaanites are mentioned, which along with "tehom", is all that is claimed in the opening post.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    Wikipedia is too brief and incomplete reference to be used in an argument here. I gave academic sources that were more complete and specific.

    ". . . strictly speaking, is minimal." is heavy hint your claims are a clear over statement of your claims.

    References to Canaanites, Ugarit and Lebanon DO NOT justify your original claims of Hebrew equivalent references in the Elba tablets to support a Pentateuch dating ~2300 BCE(?).
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-19-2019 at 05:26 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  7. #17
    tWebber tabibito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    DownUnder
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,797
    Amen (Given)
    195
    Amen (Received)
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post

    It does not support the existence of Hebrew text ~2300 BCE for which there is no evidence.
    Biblical references would make it very surprising if there were such evidence.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

  8. #18
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    993
    Amen (Given)
    298
    Amen (Received)
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    References to Canaanites, Ugarit and Lebanon DO NOT justify your original claims of Hebrew equivalent references in the Elba tablets to support a Pentateuch dating ~2300 BCE(?).
    Source: Bryant Wood

    Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine.

    © Copyright Original Source


    So there is no claim here that the Pentateuch is from about 2300 BCE.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  9. #19
    41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Barstow, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    6,247
    Amen (Given)
    5188
    Amen (Received)
    2039
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Source: Bryant Wood

    Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine.

    © Copyright Original Source


    So there is no claim here that the Pentateuch is from about 2300 BCE.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    I'm confused.

  10. #20
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,768
    Amen (Given)
    1455
    Amen (Received)
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Biblical references would make it very surprising if there were such evidence.
    Yes, at this point it would be very surprising if new archaeological evidence became available now.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •