Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Archeology oopses

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    As cited upon more complete academic study of the Elba cuneiform texts these names are not found in the Elba cuneiform texts.
    But I didn't see these names listed in the references you brought up.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    But I didn't see these names listed in the references you brought up.

Blessings,
    Lee
    . . . because the Hebrew names are not remotely in the Elba cuneiform tablets.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    . . . because the Hebrew names are not remotely in the Elba cuneiform tablets.
    But how do you know that? I have two references that say Canaan is in the tablets.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But how do you know that? I have two references that say Canaan is in the tablets.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Know?!?!? That is an way to challenge this. I used the latter academic translations to support this and your references do not reflect the latest academic translations. The relationship between Hebrew and Canaanite/Ugarit language in their cuneiform tablets is better documented.

The only thing that the Sumerian tablets show is the earliest evolution of written cuneiform to later script from Sumerian>Babylonian>Canaanite/Ugarit languages that eventually became the basis for the Hebrew languages, and the history, myths and legends that contributed to the compilation, edited and redacted Pentateuch between ~1000-600 BCE.

It does not support the existence of Hebrew text ~2300 BCE for which there is no evidence.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Know?!?!? That is an way to challenge this. I used the latter academic translations to support this and your references do not reflect the latest academic translations.
    Well, Wikipedia has a reference to 2007:

Source: Wikipedia

The tablets provide a wealth of information on Syria and Canaan in the Early Bronze Age,[8] and include the first known references to the "Canaanites", "Ugarit", and "Lebanon".[9]

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Though they do say that "The present consensus is that Ebla's role in biblical archaeology, strictly speaking, is minimal.[2]", the point remains that Canaanites are mentioned, which along with "tehom", is all that is claimed in the opening post.

Blessings,
    Lee

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, Wikipedia has a reference to 2007:

Source: Wikipedia

The tablets provide a wealth of information on Syria and Canaan in the Early Bronze Age,[8] and include the first known references to the "Canaanites", "Ugarit", and "Lebanon".[9]

Source

Though they do say that "The present consensus is that Ebla's role in biblical archaeology, strictly speaking, is minimal.[2]", the point remains that Canaanites are mentioned, which along with "tehom", is all that is claimed in the opening post.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Wikipedia is too brief and incomplete reference to be used in an argument here. I gave academic sources that were more complete and specific.

". . . strictly speaking, is minimal." is heavy hint your claims are a clear over statement of your claims.

References to Canaanites, Ugarit and Lebanon DO NOT justify your original claims of Hebrew equivalent references in the Elba tablets to support a Pentateuch dating ~2300 BCE(?).
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-19-2019 at 05:26 AM.

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

It does not support the existence of Hebrew text ~2300 BCE for which there is no evidence.
    Biblical references would make it very surprising if there were such evidence.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    References to Canaanites, Ugarit and Lebanon DO NOT justify your original claims of Hebrew equivalent references in the Elba tablets to support a Pentateuch dating ~2300 BCE(?).
    Source: Bryant Wood

Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine.

So there is no claim here that the Pentateuch is from about 2300 BCE.

Blessings,
    Lee

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Source: Bryant Wood

Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine.

So there is no claim here that the Pentateuch is from about 2300 BCE.

Blessings,
    Lee
    I'm confused.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Biblical references would make it very surprising if there were such evidence.
    Yes, at this point it would be very surprising if new archaeological evidence became available now.

Frank