Deeper Waters Podcast 3/16/2019: Harold Felder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeper Waters Podcast 3/16/2019: Harold Felder

Ready to talk about race relations some?

Link

-----

What's coming up? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I have grown up in the South and lived here all of my life. My community was largely a white community. I did not have black classmates until I went to Middle School. Church was the same way. That's just saying a statement of fact.

When I read the Bible, I read it as a white person. Yet could my perspective be different if I had read it as a black person? For example, would I read passages about slavery differently? It's understandable as a child to read the Bible and assume everyone looked and thought just like you, but when you do more study you know it's not like that. Most of our movies depict Jesus walking around Jerusalem as someone white. I don't think He was black, but I don't think He was white either.

What if you do grow up in the black community. Will you be told sometimes that Christianity is the white man's religion? Will it affect you when you hear about the way Christianity was sometimes sadly involved with the slave trade. What about the Southern Baptist Convention and slavery? It's a mark of shame on Christianity today that we have been involved with that, but how can a man of color embrace such a religion?

Why not do what should be done? Talk to such a man. Talk to someone who knows what life is like in that community. Talk to someone who takes race seriously. Talk to someone who wants to reach his fellow African-American community with the truth of Christianity. Talk to Harold Felder.

Who is he?

hc_book_crop_pic.jpg

By the way, why do the podcasts on iTunes stop around mid-January? None of the later ones are on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      By the way, why do the podcasts on iTunes stop around mid-January? None of the later ones are on it.
      I just recently updated it.

Comment