Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Beto O'Dork Dives In...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    You know, he's quite open about the fact that he had some criminal charges in his younger years. And as much as you are inclined to ignore the nasty behavior of the current commander in-chief, you are happy to tear someone's college DUI to shreds. Sounds fishy. Also he raised a record 6.1 million since announcing his campaign. So he might have a shot.
    In the Tucker Carlson thread, you're ready to throw him to the wolves for comments he made 10-years ago, but here you're giving O'Rourke a pass for committing crimes. Hypocritical much?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]35725[/ATTACH]
      You know, he's quite open about the fact that he had some criminal charges in his younger years. And as much as you are inclined to ignore the nasty behavior of the current commander in-chief, you are happy to tear someone's college DUI to shreds. Sounds fishy. Also he raised a record 6.1 million since announcing his campaign. So he might have a shot.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

There is something wrong with this guy...

O’Rourke ‘not … proud’ of teenage murder fantasy writing

‘WASHINGTON, Iowa — Beto O’Rourke said Friday he is “not … proud” of fiction he wrote as teenager about murdering children, while acknowledging its surfacing could hurt his campaign.

“Stuff I was part of as a teenager … not anything that I’m proud of today,” O’Rourke told reporters outside a meet-and-greet here. “And I mean, that’s the long and short of it.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...riting-1223903
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Actually he has not been "quite open." Just like the claim he didn't accept PAC money turned out to be codswallop. Information about O’Rourke's criminal history were spiked during his early campaigns for Congress and when brought up he initially acted "confused" like he didn't know what the person was talking about. Only recently has it been disclosed that after his DUI car accident that he tried to flee the scene but was detained by eyewitness who wouldn't let him run away. After this part came out Beto denied it.

Even the usually reliably liberal Politifact declared that his denial was "mostly false."

Source: Beto O'Rourke says he didn't try to leave DWI accident scene. Police cited witness saying otherwise.

The Chronicle, in an Aug. 30, 2018, news story, said a police report shows that the incident was a more serious threat to public safety than previously reported.

The newspaper, citing the report, said that O’Rourke was driving drunk at what a witness called "a high rate of speed" in a 75 mph zone on Interstate 10 about a mile east of the New Mexico border. He lost control and hit a truck, sending his car careening across the center median. The story said that the witness, described as stopping at the scene, later told police that O’Rourke had tried to leave the scene.

The report, the story says, refers to an unnamed "motorist’s description of O’Rourke’s dark-colored Volvo passing him quickly about 3 a.m. on I-10." The story says that O'Rourke reportedly struck a truck going in the same direction and crossed a grassy median into the opposite lanes.

The story says that according to the police report, "O’Rourke then attempted to leave the scene but was stopped by the same motorist he had just passed. The unidentified motorist ‘then turned on his overhead lights to warn oncoming traffic and to try to get the defendant (O’Rourke) to stop,’ the report says."

The story says that O'Rourke recorded a 0.136 and 0.134 on police breathalyzers, above a blood-alcohol level of 0.10, the state legal limit at the time. He was arrested at the scene, the story said, and charged with DWI, but completed a court-approved diversion program and had the charges dismissed, post-arrest developments we confirmed for a previous fact-check confirming the September 1998 arrest and a previous one, when O’Rourke was a college student, for getting past a fence to enter the University of Texas at El Paso campus in the wee hours.

Police agency confirms report's authenticity

By email, we asked the Anthony Police Department to review the 12-page partially-redacted police report posted next to the Chronicle story. In response, a department officer, Linda Hartt-Goggin, said the posted report "appears to be a true redacted copy of the original report."

Hartt-Goggin said by phone she couldn’t find the department’s report on the accident itself. She speculated that it was lost when a room was flooded.

According to APD Investigator Richard Carrera’s report, filed three days after the accident, O’Rourke said after his 3 a.m. arrest that he’d been driving to Los Alamos in New Mexico. The officer’s report says that he met at the scene with a witness--called the "reporter" in Carrera’s report--and his partner, the driver of "the American Medical ambulance." By phone, Hartt-Goggin told us the ambulance company serves private clients out of Las Cruces, NM. Our attempts to reach a Las Cruces official with American Medical Response, a Colorado-based company, didn’t draw an immediate response.

Carrera’s report says the witness said that he initially saw a green Volvo pass his vehicle at a high rate of speed westbound on I-10. "The vehicle then lost control moments later and struck a truck traveling the same direction," the report says. "After the driver/defendant struck the truck, it sent the defendant’s vehicle across the center median and to a complete stop facing east bound," the report says.

"The defendant/driver then attempted to leave the scene," the report says. But the witness "turned on his overhead lights to warn oncoming traffic and to get the defendant to stop."

The report says that when the officer engaged O’Rourke in conversation, he wasn’t understandable due to slurred speech. The report says the officer asked O’Rourke to step out of the vehicle and "upon doing so the defendant almost fell to the floor," the report says.

O'Rourke stands by debate statement

We asked O’Rourke’s campaign about the witness telling Carrera that O’Rourke tried to leave the accident scene. By email, Chris Evans said O’Rourke stands by what he said at the debate about not trying to leave. Evans noted that the "police report shows he was arrested for a DWI, not for leaving or attempting to leave the scene."

Our ruling

O’Rourke said he didn’t try to leave the scene of his 1998 DWI accident and arrest.

Records indicate O’Rourke was arrested at the scene and wasn’t charged with trying to flee. But the September 1998 Anthony Police Department report on the incident says a witness said O’Rourke tried to leave the scene before police arrived and the witness kept him from doing so.

We rate this claim Mostly False.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

How that only rates as only a mostly false when he was even arrested for trying to flee the scene I'll leave for you to decide.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I love the way Shapiro says his last name... like Spicoli from Fast Times
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              That he basically announced his candidacy on the cover of Vanity Fair says all we need to know about him. Rich and privileged...
              Has anyone actually read that story? You'd think it was written by someone madly in love with the guy.

I'll let this paragraph speak for itself:

“Why do you have walls in your house?” they retorted. “Why do you have a door?”
              Behind the door, in the O’Rourke living room, a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf contains a section for rock memoirs (Bob Dylan’s Chronicles, a favorite) and a stack of LPs (the Clash, Nina Simone) but also a sizable collection of presidential biographies, including Robert Caro’s work on Lyndon B. Johnson. Arranged in historical order, the biographies suggest there’s been some reflection on the gravity of the presidency. But there’s also some political poetry to it, a sense that O’Rourke might be destined for this shelf. He has an aura. Most places he goes in El Paso, he’s dogged by cries of “Beto! Beto!” Oprah Winfrey, who helped anoint Barack Obama in 2008, practically begged him to run at an event in New York City at the beginning of February.

00000000000000aaa1.png
              Last edited by rogue06; 03-18-2019, 01:50 PM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Meh, who cares. Another guy in a crowded field. We're nearly a year away from the primaries even starting, I really can't bring myself to care about who's in the running at this point. I barely even care enough to make this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                  Meh, who cares. Another guy in a crowded field. We're nearly a year away from the primaries even starting, I really can't bring myself to care about who's in the running at this point. I barely even care enough to make this post.
                  But ya did, and ya done good!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm more Partial to Cory Booker at the moment. However I'm quite entertained at how y'all are ready to act like youthful DWI's are the absolute worse thing a person can do but excusing someone for rape is totally ok..... It's fine as long as they are on your side isn't it?
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm more Partial to Cory Booker at the moment. However I'm quite entertained at how y'all are ready to act like youthful DWI's are the absolute worse thing a person can do but excusing someone for rape is totally ok..... It's fine as long as they are on your side isn't it?
                      Who on "our side" has excused rape?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Uh, who raped someone?
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Who on "our side" has excused rape?
                          Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Uh, who raped someone?

Comment

Are you talking about Kavenaugh? There was ZERO evidence of his raping anyone other than some wild accusations, several of which were PROVEN false. There is objective evidence of Beto's crimes. It seems like you are the one trying to excuse the ones on your side.

Comment

That's not it - that's ONE THING, and it's not just "it", but the way he handled it - apparently trying to flee the scene. That's NOT taking responsibility. And it sounds like the only reason he's "fessing up" is cause he has no other choice. And WHO is excusing ANYBODY for rape? Cath, get a grip!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As my little brother has already pointed out.....

Talk about COLLUSION!!!!

Nolte: Reuters Reporter Covered Up Damaging Beto Info During Texas Senate Race

A Reuters reporter admits he offered to hide damaging information about Beto O’Rourke during the Democrat’s tight Senate race against Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX).

On Friday morning, Reuters journalist Joseph Menn broke the news that, as a teen, O’Rourke, who is now a freshly-minted 2020 presidential candidate, was part of a secret hacking group known as the Cult of the Dead Cow.

Since publication, Reuters has also been forced to admit their reporter, who was on leave at the time, knew all about O’Rourke’s hacker past during the 2018 Texas Senate race but offered not to reveal it until after the race:
                                After more than a year of reporting, Menn persuaded O’Rourke to talk on the record. In an interview in late 2017, O’Rourke acknowledged that he was a member of the group, on the understanding that the information would not be made public until after his Senate race against Ted Cruz in November 2018.

“While I was looking into the Cult of the Dead Cow, I found out that they had a member who was sitting in Congress. I didn’t know which one. But I knew that they had a member of Congress.

“And then I figured out which one it was. And the members of the group wouldn’t talk to me about who it was. They wouldn’t confirm that it was this person unless I promised that I wouldn’t write about it until after the November election. That’s because the member of Congress had decided to run for Senate. Beto O’Rourke is who it was.

“I met Beto O’Rourke. I said ‘I’m writing a book about Cult of the Dead Cow, I think it’s really interesting. I know you were in this group. This book is going to publish after November and your Senate race is over. And he said, ‘OK.’

The key sentence there is: “And then I figured out which one it was.”

So, even before he made a deal with O’Rourke to cover up his criminal past (stealing credit card numbers, etc.), Menn knew it was O’Rourke he was looking for. And all throughout the consequential Texas Senate campaign, Menn chose to hide that information from voters.

In other words, it was not as though Menn fingered O’Rourke after he agreed to hold off on publishing. It was not as though Menn had to make this agreement in order to be informed of O’Rourke’s participation in the group. Under those circumstances, Menn choosing to hide this information would still be a questionable journalistic decision when you consider the bigger moral world of a political race that might have decided which party held the U.S. Senate, but you can excuse Menn keeping his word to a source.

By Menn’s own telling, though, we know that is not what happened; we know he “figured out which one it was” before he “promised [not to] write about it until after the November election.”

Menn’s currently digging an even deeper hole for himself on Twitter.

“No one in [D.C.] would talk about O’Rourke until I promised not to publish before the 2018 election. That was OK: I wanted the full story for my book, which spans decades, rather than 1 scoop ahead of a state vote,” Menn tweeted.

Oh, okay, let’s hide this information because … book.

Can’t you just feel The Journalism?

Stealing credit card numbers?

Comment