Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass shootings at New Zealand mosques...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm sure it's whatever statistical wording that would make it look the absolute worstestestest --- That's one of the few things at which Tassy absolutely excels.
    Well Wiki has a list of what they call mass shootings here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...States_in_2018

Which supports his claim of one every 9 out of 10 days. Says 323 mass shootings. Now these are not all about a crazed gunman who lets loose on a crowd. Most of these are things like bar fights where more then 3 people get shot.

But it only shows 387 deaths, and 1274 injured.

ScreenHunter_.jpg

In a population the size of the USA (about 330Million) that is not a very large number at all. There are over 800 deaths per 100,000 in the USA every day from natural causes. Or around 2.6 million a year. 36,000 deaths by car accident. 387 by mass shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Even if true that would be less than .000004% of the population (1,314/330M).

And is that just shooting or killing?
      I would love to see how many cases of "more than 3 people injured" in bar fights with broken beer bottles. I saw WAY MORE of that when I was a police officer than I ever did shootings. It's not the presence of guns, it's the nature of man.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I would love to see how many cases of "more than 3 people injured" in bar fights with broken beer bottles. I saw WAY MORE of that when I was a police officer than I ever did shootings. It's not the presence of guns, it's the nature of man.
        From the wiki page this is the first few entries (December 2018):
        • A dispute began at a rented Airbnb during a New Year's Eve party. Three men were killed and another man and woman were wounded.
        • One person was killed and three people were wounded in a shooting at an afterhours club.
        • A gunman shot and killed his girlfriend, her two children, and her mother. He was arrested after exchanging fire with police and attempting to carjack a vehicle.
        • Two people were killed and two others were wounded in a shooting outside of a bar.
        • Seven people were wounded during a shooting at a holiday party.
        • Four people were wounded during a shooting at a holiday party.

Seems like a better case could be made for outlawing alcohol than guns.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Yes and all the sheep will give up their firearms...
          Responsible citizens will give up their fire-arms in NZ, just as they did in 1996 when Australia enacted strict gun laws following the Port Arthur Massacre. it hasn't had a mass shooting since.

It’s a common-sense reaction to a deadly mass shooting, a lesson yet to be learnt by the 2nd Amendment “sheep” in the US bleating about their right to kill people. And yet "A new study puts the US’s gun problem in a global perspective. It’s really bad".

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/29/177927...-deaths-global
          Last edited by Tassman; 03-21-2019, 02:15 AM.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Responsible citizens will give up their fire-arms in NZ . . .
            It's the citizens who are not responsible who are the problem though, not the responsible ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              It's the citizens who are not responsible who are the problem though, not the responsible ones.
              In this case it was an irresponsible non-citizen.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

NZ's Prime Minister is turning thousands of her citizens into instant criminals

------
                New Zealand prime minister announces ban on 'military-style semi-automatic weapons' after mosque attack

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Thursday announced the country was immediately banning "military-style semi-automatic weapons" after last week's attack that killed 50 people at two mosques.

Speaking to reporters, the prime minister said the weapons would be banned in addition to "all assault rifles," among other firearms. Ardern said that legislation is currently being drafted and she expects the law to take effect by April 11.

NEW ZEALAND PRIME MINISTER VOWS NEVER TO MENTION MOSQUE GUNMAN'S NAME

"We will ban all high-capacity magazines. We will ban all parts with the ability to convert semiautomatic, or any other type of firearm, into a military-style semi-automatic weapon," the prime minister said. "In short, every semi-automatic weapon used in the terrorist attack on Friday will be banned in this country."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/new-ze...-mosque-attack

And our resident commie, Bernie Sanders got on his soap box and says the US must follow.

Too bad we have a constitution that says "no way," Bernie.

The way these liberals overreact and use every such incident as an excuse to take away guns from law abiding citizens makes me wonder if they don't set these incidents in motion themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  As the saying goes, if guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have the guns.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Too bad we have a constitution that says "no way," Bernie.
                    Since when do liberals give a pair of fetid dingos kidneys what the Constitution says? If we were going to enforce the Constitution as worded then there wouldn't be any restriction on gun sales and ownership, period. Kentucky has the right idea, citing the 2nd Amendment as all the permission you need to arm yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Well Wiki has a list of what they call mass shootings here:
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...States_in_2018

Which supports his claim of one every 9 out of 10 days. Says 323 mass shootings. Now these are not all about a crazed gunman who lets loose on a crowd. Most of these are things like bar fights where more then 3 people get shot.

But it only shows 387 deaths, and 1274 injured.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35751[/ATTACH]

In a population the size of the USA (about 330Million) that is not a very large number at all. There are over 800 deaths per 100,000 in the USA every day from natural causes. Or around 2.6 million a year. 36,000 deaths by car accident. 387 by mass shooting.
                      It is too many Sparko.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        It is too many Sparko.

Jim
                        It is statistically nothing, Jim. Not worth banning guns from legal owners. We don't ban cars because there were 36,000 automobile deaths last year.

There were 258 homicides by knives/cutting weapons in California alone in 2017.
                        Last edited by Sparko; 03-21-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          In this case it was an irresponsible non-citizen.
                          In either case it's not the responsible people who are the problem, citizens, or non-citizens.

Comment

It is statistically nothing, Jim. Not worth banning guns from legal owners. We don't ban cars because there were 36,000 automobile deaths last year.

And as we've seen in countries like England, Australia, and New Zealand, homicide, violent crime, and suicide rates are unaffected by gun bans, and in some cases actually become worse. For that matter, some of the most violent cities in the United States have the strictest gun laws in the country, but that's not about to stop some gang banger from gunning down his rivals in a drive-by.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              And as we've seen in countries like England, Australia, and New Zealand, homicide, violent crime, and suicide rates are unaffected by gun bans, and in some cases actually become worse. For that matter, some of the most violent cities in the United States have the strictest gun laws in the country, but that's not about to stop some gang banger from gunning down his rivals in a drive-by.
                              And guns are legally used in self-defense, even at the low estimates around 55,000 times a year. Way more than they are used in crimes.

Comment

It's still to many. I maintain that any weapon that gives an average individual with minimal training the power to kill in a few 10s of seconds dozens of people needs to be tightly controlled. That is too powerful a weapon to be available without proper training and screening.

Jim
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment