Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass shootings at New Zealand mosques...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The South Korean situation was rather different because you had a military at the time that was accustomed to brutalizing its own people. I don't think the United States military, at least not as a whole, would have the stomach for an all out war against US citizens.
    I’ve heard more than a few military endorsed and officers saying as much. The US military isn’t trained to blindly follow orders.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It's generally not the military acting autonomously but at the behest of a political party.
      A lot are simply military coups with the ranking officer in the coup taking over.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Which would simply tell you that as of now, it isn’t needed, but it might be at some point in time. Again, the argument of your opponents isn’t what you seem to be making it out to be. Revolt exist as a final option when the pen and ballot box has failed.
        I understand that. Like Sparko said I’m probably very naive but I can’t see a possible situation in a developed nation where it would come to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          A lot are simply military coups with the ranking officer in the coup taking over.
          That's generally in countries with a small, centralized military. That would be very difficult to pull off in the US.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Amidoingit View Post
            I understand that. Like Sparko said I’m probably very naive but I can’t see a possible situation in a developed nation where it would come to that.
            Indeed. It is not worth the cost of endless gun violence in the US, because of an extremely unlikely hypothetical scenario arising.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

That's generally in countries with a small, centralized military. That would be very difficult to pull off in the US.
              That describes the majority of countries throughout history. And even in empires like the Roman one coups were often engineered by and for a specific general.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Indeed. It is not worth the cost of endless gun violence in the US, because of an extremely unlikely hypothetical scenario arising.
                Yeah because taking guns away from people who DON'T use them for violence is the solution.

Please turn in your automobile immediately to prevent drunk driving.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  That describes the majority of countries throughout history. And even in empires like the Roman one coups were often engineered by and for a specific general.
                  Perhaps, but we're specifically talking about whether or not it could happen in the US.

Comment

For one thing, I'm not convinced, if it ever came down to it, that 100% of the military would necessarily side with the government against the people.
                    I tend to think you are right on that. For there to be an uprising that would even invoke any possible benefit of the 2nd amendment, things would need to have gone horribly wrong, wrong enough that 100% loyalty in the military itself would be doubtful.

Secondly, resistance fighters throughout history have been able to use crude methods with surprising success against technologically superior foes.
                    They are also able to get the guns (and other much more powerful weapons) they need though other channels.

But like I said, I wouldn't see it getting to that point unless the system had entirely broken down, and we seem to be a long way from that.
                    I agree.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• I read somewhere (many years ago) that the easiest way to engineer that kind of thing (in the early stages) is to destroy all the capable public figures with innuendo and rumour.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        And I think that is where this debate typically crashes. Although I don't know how many people are being just entirely selfish in terms of just wanting to be able to own more powerful weapons, the debate can't get past the possibility of an invasion where an armed public would make it more difficult, or an uprising against an oppressive government. Both scenarios seem so unlikely to me. Only China or Russia would have the power or motivation to invade, and if that was their choice - heaven help us all because it would likely go Thermo-nuclear. And guns can't help much against h-bombs. I'm not even sure they can help much in Nuclear-war aftermath where you have marauding bands of starving people looking for food unless you are willing to kill such people or kill for food. The Oppressive government deal just seemed so absolutely unlikely until recently. But things are getting very squirrelly right now - on both sides. The chances of both scenarios seem higher to me this decade than last, but I'm still not sure it is worth the gun related murders we see day in and day out here.

Though the harsh reality is, I don't know how you could actually change that without some way to remove the guns already out there. Limiting what people can buy or own in the future would take a long time to show any benefit given the number of legal and illegal guns already out there.

Jim
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-10-2019, 09:34 AM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          I read somewhere (many years ago) that the easiest way to engineer that kind of thing (in the early stages) is to destroy all the capable public figures with innuendo and rumour.
                          Attacking a nation from the inside tends to be easier and more effective than attacking it from the outside.

Comment

Attacking a nation from the inside tends to be easier and more effective than attacking it from the outside.
                            Correct. Unfortunately that is what has happened to your country.
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              Correct. Unfortunately that is what has happened to your country.
                              Good thing we have guns then!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Good thing we have guns then!
                                They did not help you. In fact they only made it worse.
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment