Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christians slaughtered in Nigeria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    According to the Pew Research Centre Report Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world and the persecution is increasing. This is confirmed by other recent studies including one by civitas.org.uk and University of Notre Dame's Center for Ethics and Culture (in cooperation with Georgetown University's Religious Freedom Research Project). The latter study has moved the British Foreign Secretary to investigate the global persecution of Christians. Several years ago the Vatican expressed "deep concern" to the UN over the killing of 100,000 Christians each year because of their faith.
    And the persecution is growing and getting worse.

From Newsweek magazine:

Source: PERSECUTION OF CHRISTIANS IS APPROACHING GENOCIDE LEVELS, REPORT FINDS: CHRISTIANITY 'IS AT RISK OF DISAPPEARING'

A new report says that the persecution of Christians across the world is fast becoming genocide and that the faith will soon disappear in some areas of the world, even in locations where its presence dates back to antiquity.

The crisis was made apparent recently by the Sri Lanka attacks on Easter, when Islamic extremists targeted three churches and three hotels in Colombo in a series of bombings. The attacks killed 253 people and injured hundreds more.

The British government commissioned Bishop of Truro Philip Mounstephen to lead a review of persecution of Christians and to recommend how the U.K. Foreign Office should respond to it. That review has now published an interim report detailing its findings so far.

“Evidence shows not only the geographic spread of anti-Christian persecution, but also its increasing severity,” the report states. “In some regions, the level and nature of persecution is arguably coming close to meeting the international definition of genocide, according to that adopted by the UN.”

The review found that eradicating Christians and other minorities through violence was the explicit objective of extremist groups in Syria, Iraq, Egypt, northeast Nigeria and the Philippines.

These groups are not only murdering Christians for their faith but also whitewashing all evidence of their existence by destroying churches and removing religious symbols such as crosses. Clergy are also being targeted for kidnapping and killing.

“Where these and other incidents meet the tests of genocide, governments will be required to bring perpetrators to justice, aid victims and take preventative measures for the future,” the report said.

“The main impact of such genocidal acts against Christians is exodus. Christianity now faces the possibility of being wiped out in parts of the Middle East where its roots go back furthest…. Christianity is at risk of disappearing, representing a massive setback for plurality in the region,” the report continued.

The Christian population is now below 1.5 percent in Palestine, according to the report. In war-torn Syria, which has been occupied by extremists such as the Islamic State militant group (ISIS), the Christian population dropped from 1.7 million in 2011 to below 450,000.

In Iraq, where ISIS and smaller extremist groups also have a strong foothold, including control of some areas, the number of Christians has fallen from 1.5 million before 2003—the year the second Gulf war started—to below 120,000 today.

According to the Pew Research Center, in 2016 Christians were harassed in 144 countries, up from 128 the year before. This makes them the most persecuted religious group in the world.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And yet the MSM is largely only interested in kvetching about "Islamophobia" -- or should that be Somepeopleophobia in honor of Ilhan Omar's (D–Minn.) description of the 9/11 terrorist attacks as merely being "some people did something"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I can think of one off hand. Voice of the Martyrs. Of course, you could do research on your own to find others.
      I have been with Voice of the Martyrs for many years, and our churches have hosted various persecuted Christians to the States. Georgi Vins was a guest several times in our Church in Tyler, Texas.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And the persecution is growing and getting worse.

From Newsweek magazine:

Source: PERSECUTION OF CHRISTIANS IS APPROACHING GENOCIDE LEVELS, REPORT FINDS: CHRISTIANITY 'IS AT RISK OF DISAPPEARING'

A new report says that the persecution of Christians across the world is fast becoming genocide and that the faith will soon disappear in some areas of the world, even in locations where its presence dates back to antiquity.

The crisis was made apparent recently by the Sri Lanka attacks on Easter, when Islamic extremists targeted three churches and three hotels in Colombo in a series of bombings. The attacks killed 253 people and injured hundreds more.

The British government commissioned Bishop of Truro Philip Mounstephen to lead a review of persecution of Christians and to recommend how the U.K. Foreign Office should respond to it. That review has now published an interim report detailing its findings so far.

“Evidence shows not only the geographic spread of anti-Christian persecution, but also its increasing severity,” the report states. “In some regions, the level and nature of persecution is arguably coming close to meeting the international definition of genocide, according to that adopted by the UN.”

The review found that eradicating Christians and other minorities through violence was the explicit objective of extremist groups in Syria, Iraq, Egypt, northeast Nigeria and the Philippines.

These groups are not only murdering Christians for their faith but also whitewashing all evidence of their existence by destroying churches and removing religious symbols such as crosses. Clergy are also being targeted for kidnapping and killing.

“Where these and other incidents meet the tests of genocide, governments will be required to bring perpetrators to justice, aid victims and take preventative measures for the future,” the report said.

“The main impact of such genocidal acts against Christians is exodus. Christianity now faces the possibility of being wiped out in parts of the Middle East where its roots go back furthest…. Christianity is at risk of disappearing, representing a massive setback for plurality in the region,” the report continued.

The Christian population is now below 1.5 percent in Palestine, according to the report. In war-torn Syria, which has been occupied by extremists such as the Islamic State militant group (ISIS), the Christian population dropped from 1.7 million in 2011 to below 450,000.

In Iraq, where ISIS and smaller extremist groups also have a strong foothold, including control of some areas, the number of Christians has fallen from 1.5 million before 2003—the year the second Gulf war started—to below 120,000 today.

According to the Pew Research Center, in 2016 Christians were harassed in 144 countries, up from 128 the year before. This makes them the most persecuted religious group in the world.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And yet the MSM is largely only interested in kvetching about "Islamophobia" -- or should that be Somepeopleophobia in honor of Ilhan Omar's (D–Minn.) description of the 9/11 terrorist attacks as merely being "some people did something"
        The Lord is coming soon!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The Lord is coming soon!

Probably not. The problems are real and need a real solution.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            The problems are real and need a real solution.
            Thanks for the revelation, Charles. Where would we be without you?
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

and this....

Iraq's Christians 'close to extinction'

The Archbishop of Irbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan, has accused Britain's Christian leaders of failing to do enough in defence of the vanishing Christian community in Iraq.

In an impassioned address in London, the Rt Rev Bashar Warda said Iraq's Christians now faced extinction after 1,400 years of persecution.

Since the US-led invasion toppled the regime of Saddam Hussein in 2003, he said, the Christian community had dwindled by 83%, from around 1.5 million to just 250,000.

"Christianity in Iraq," he said, "one of the oldest Churches, if not the oldest Church in the world, is perilously close to extinction. Those of us who remain must be ready to face martyrdom."

He referred to the current, pressing threat from Islamic State (IS) jihadists as a "final, existential struggle", following the group's initial assault in 2014 that displaced more than 125,000 Christians from their historic homelands.

"Our tormentors confiscated our present," he said, "while seeking to wipe out our history and destroy our future. In Iraq there is no redress for those who have lost properties, homes and businesses. Tens of thousands of Christians have nothing to show for their life's work, for generations of work, in places where their families have lived, maybe, for thousands of years."
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, the Romans tried to wipe out Christians and that didn't work very well. But it's also easier to dust of your sandals and go somewhere else. Are they all getting murdered or are there many Christian refugees fleeing persecution? I pray for many more Muslims to convert to Christianity so they stop persecuting Christians.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Well, the Romans tried to wipe out Christians and that didn't work very well. But it's also easier to dust of your sandals and go somewhere else. Are they all getting murdered or are there many Christian refugees fleeing persecution? I pray for many more Muslims to convert to Christianity so they stop persecuting Christians.
                  If conversions substantially increased I expect that the persecution would do so as well.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If conversions substantially increased I expect that the persecution would do so as well.
                    Possibly, but that seems to be a somewhat self defeating procedure, if experience in Kobani, Syria is anything to go by.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/l...christ-n963281

“ISIS members were terrorizing people and then going to the mosque to pray to Allah,” said Firas, 47, who is a farmer and asked for his last name not to be published for security reasons. “After their prayers, they would leave the mosque and terrorize people again.”

the brutality he witnessed in the caliphate was too much to bear.

"If heaven is made for ISIS and their belief, I would choose hell for myself instead of being again with them in the same place, even if it’s paradise," he said.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Possibly, but that seems to be a somewhat self defeating procedure, if experience in Kobani, Syria is anything to go by.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/l...christ-n963281

“ISIS members were terrorizing people and then going to the mosque to pray to Allah,” said Firas, 47, who is a farmer and asked for his last name not to be published for security reasons. “After their prayers, they would leave the mosque and terrorize people again.”

the brutality he witnessed in the caliphate was too much to bear.

"If heaven is made for ISIS and their belief, I would choose hell for myself instead of being again with them in the same place, even if it’s paradise," he said.
                      I suspect that you perhaps failed to grok what rogue06 was getting on about.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I suspect that you perhaps failed to grok what rogue06 was getting on about.
                        The more folks convert the more bloody and brutal the repression will get. Islam already regards conversion as a death penalty offense and has no compunction about enforcing it.

Comment

The more folks convert the more bloody and brutal the repression will get. Islam already regards conversion as a death penalty offense and has no compunction about enforcing it.
                          True enough - but given the actions of Islamic extremists with regard to Muslims who don't adhere to the extremists' particular brand of Islam, the game is made no worse by converting to Christianity. Former Muslims look at what is done in the name of Allah, and decide this god isn't worth having after all. Christianity has never buckled under attempts at violent repression - but the same can't be said when the churches are offered nice looking lollies.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Persecution has always had a purifying effect on the Church. There will always be a remnant, even if the world thinks it has eradicated it.

I think we need more persecution in the west. The church here is abysmal.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Except that the persecutors will be in big trouble if they don't repent and turn to Jesus for salvation. Big reason to pray for those guys too. Because I don't want them to have to be shamed for eternuty. Scolded yes! But we all deserve a scolding. We all deserve eternal shame too. So, I shall continue prayfor Muslims to turn to Christ.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Persecution has always had a purifying effect on the Church. There will always be a remnant, even if the world thinks it has eradicated it.

I think we need more persecution in the west. The church here is abysmal.
                                00000000000000ars3.gif

Comment