Announcement

Collapse

Wicca and Neo-Pagan Religions Guidelines

Theists only.

Which witch is which?

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Wicca/Neo Paganism. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generally not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What Shamanism Is About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Shamanism Is About

Shamanism, at its core is about spiritual transformation and increasing awareness beyond human perceptions. The practices in shamanism involve yoga, dream yoga, self-introspection. The tonal means human side. 2 types of tonals, lower and higher human-ego sides.

The ego is as necessary for our survival, as the tonal was thousands of years ago. The Toltecs knew this, and respected the sacredness of all of us. Because without all of us, the totality of ourselves could not be reached. What the ego guards may be limited, jealously fought over, and totally ruled by, the ego, but nonetheless, that fact in no way makes what the ego guards in any way unimportant. Quite the opposite. According to the Toltecs, what the ego guards, instead of being fought with, needs to be so cleared and cleaned, that when traveling over the road ruled by the ego, there are no more bumps or barriers to hit into, causing pain and suffering. Again, quite the contrary. Because once the world of the tonal is cleaned, there is sheer joy in living within the world of reason, and all the comfort and safety though limited and temporary, that is found there. There is also a purpose for that world, and it's for the protection of our sanity. When traveling on the path to expanded awareness through the many realms of non-ordinary reality, we want that sanity, or that which is grounding and familiar to us, to be there when we get back. When it isn't, because we have hated or abused it, that's when we lose our marbles. - Don Miguel Ruiz
    https://www.a-course-in-shamanism.co...ismtoltec.html

Our entrapment in processing our perception to fit a social mold loses its power when we realize we have accepted this mold, as an inheritance from our ancestors, without bothering to examine it. To perceive a world of hard objects that had either a positive or a negative value must have been utterly necessary for our ancestors' survival. After ages of perceiving in such a manner, we are now forced to believe that the world is made up of objects.

It is unquestionably a world of objects. To prove it, all we have to do is bump into them. We are not arguing that. I am saying that this is first a world of energy; then it's a world of objects. If we don't start with the premise that it is a world of energy, we'll never be able to perceive energy directly. We'll always be stopped by the physical certainty of the hardness of objects. Our way of perceiving is a predator's way. There is another mode, the one I am familiarizing you with: the act of perceiving the essence of everything, energy itself, directly. -Don Juan Matus
    http://www.prismagems.com/castaneda/donjuan9.html
    Last edited by JohnHermes; 03-20-2019, 06:05 AM.

Whatever "shamanism" is, this isn't it. This appears to be no more than yet another Western fantasy of what some pagan religion ought to be, if they were the ones designing it.

On the positive side, it at least admits that yoga is a religious exercise.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Frankly you are touting Neo-Shamanism, and if there is anything that is an example of cultural appropriation this is it.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Neo shamanism has roots and elements in ancient shamanism. And ancient shamanism according to some toltec sectors believe they were lacking directions. A lot of the ancient shamans would misuse whatever they learned. But the basis of shamanism is a spiritual transformation as I stated, which isn't anything new or neo. It's the basic premise of anyone who practices spirituality wants to be more spiritual (or religious) since the dawn of humans. The methods and practices could be neo.

Saying "Whatever shamanism is, this isn't it", implies to me that you have information of what shamanism is, if shamanism has nothing to do with spiritual experiences/transformation or increasing awareness. I wonder why yoga would be seen any differently besides a religious/spiritual exercise? Sometimes its primary use is just to relax as we see at the local gyms like planet fitness etc.
        Last edited by JohnHermes; 03-20-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment