Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How Is This Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    But how would he know unless he actually interacted with it? Which would make it collapse into a fixed spin?
    But why isn't the particle already in a state of collapse since observer one already made in collapse? How can it not be in that state for observer two?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      But why isn't the particle already in a state of collapse since observer one already made in collapse? How can it not be in that state for observer two?
      I think that is the whole point of the thought experiment. To show that it should be but wasn't. But how would the 2nd observer know whether is was or wasn't until he interacted with it? The seem to be saying that even though the first observer collapsed the particle the 2nd observer somehow knew it wasn't collapsed. I don't understand how they could even know.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        All science is a work in progress.
        Quantum Mechanics more so than other sciences.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          What about "settled science"?
          What is 'settled science?' All science is based on the falsification of theories and hypothesis, nothing is ever considered absolutely proven, and subject to change. Most basic sciences at the macro scale have well established hypothesis and theories at the foundation, and only subject to limited changes based on the advancement of discoveries and research. The science of Quantum Mechanics is the edge of science, and the observations at the Quanta level of our physical existence are often indirect observations of effects, and yes difficult from the human perspective.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The seem to be saying that even though the first observer collapsed the particle the 2nd observer somehow knew it wasn't collapsed. I don't understand how they could even know.
            right...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I think that is the whole point of the thought experiment. To show that it should be but wasn't. But how would the 2nd observer know whether is was or wasn't until he interacted with it? The seem to be saying that even though the first observer collapsed the particle the 2nd observer somehow knew it wasn't collapsed. I don't understand how they could even know.
              They are not claiming to 'know.' These are interpretations base don the human perspective of Quantum Mechanics consistent with previous observations.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                What is 'settled science?'
                You'd have to ask the people who are fond using that phrase.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  You'd have to ask the people who are fond using that phrase.
                  That is why I am asking you. Scientists are not fond of odd sayings like 'settled science.' They would out of jobs.

Frank

Comment

That is why I am asking you. Scientists are not fond of odd sayings like 'settled science.' They would out of jobs.
                    Unless they are climatologists.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Unless they are climatologists.
                      Global Warming is an accepted hypothesis subject to change if new information becomes available like every other hypothesis and theory.

Frank

Comment

They are not claiming to 'know.' These are interpretations base don the human perspective of Quantum Mechanics consistent with previous observations.
                        They are claiming to know. They are claiming the thought experiment has been confirmed with testing. Read the article.

Comment

Yup - the article claims "proven." Problem arises though, in that it is a reporters words ... though I may have missed it, there doesn't seem to be a direct quote from the researchers, which would be necessary to show that the claim was actually made by a scientist.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            Yup - the article claims "proven." Problem arises though, in that it is a reporters words ... though I may have missed it, there doesn't seem to be a direct quote from the researchers, which would be necessary to show that the claim was actually made by a scientist.
                            There is a link to the paper in the article

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1902.05080.pdf

Comment

They are claiming to know. They are claiming the thought experiment has been confirmed with testing. Read the article.
                              the experiment has been confirmed only determines that the results, the observations, meet the criteria of predictability of the hypothesis. This would remain subject to further research and experiments. This does not meet the criteria of claiming to 'know,' because the scientist do not 'know' the cause among many other unanswered questions concerning Quantum Mechanics behavior at the Quanta level of our physical existence.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-23-2019, 08:55 AM.

Frank

Comment

the experiment has been confirmed only determines that the results, the observations, meet the criteria of predictability of the hypothesis. This would remain subject to further research and experiments. This does not meet the criteria of claiming to 'know,' because the scientist do not 'know' the cause among many other unanswered questions concerning Quantum Mechanics behavior at the Quanta level of our physical existence.
                                Give it up Shunya. You have no idea what you are talking about.

You are spewing gibberish again.

Comment