Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Collusion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never really cared about conspiracy theories.
    sigpic

Comment

Source: REWIND: WATCH THE MEDIA SPEND TWO YEARS HYPING A NOW-DEBUNKED STORY

Bombshells! Treason! Impeachment! Prison!

Over the last two years talking heads in the major media developed high hopes that Special Counsel Robert Mueller's probe would crescendo with dramatic flare.

Viewers likely started to imagine that the only possible outcome would be the Trump family being frog-walked out of the White House in handcuffs.

On Friday, Mueller's probe officially concluded. No further indictments will be filed, and no one in the Trump family will be indicted. The two-year investigation never charged anyone with conspiracy related to the Trump campaign and Russia.

The disappointment was evident on many of the news programs that served as the Mueller probe's biggest boosters. MSNBC's Rachel Maddow appeared to get emotional. Chris Matthews angrily asked why Mueller "let Trump off the hook?"

After all, in between frequent pronouncements of new “bombshells,” these networks hyped seemingly inevitable impeachment proceedings, claimed the probe revealed “treasonous” behavior, and predicted much, if not all, of the Trump team would wind up behind bars.

Over just the last couple of weeks, these TV talking heads — such as former U.S. prosecutor and current CNN analyst Preet Bharara as well as former CIA director and MSNBC analyst John Brennan — confidently projected Mueller would issue more indictments before wrapping his probe.

More dramatically, the media sometimes claimed these “bombshells” — many of which turned out to be untrue — were evidence of outright treason, a crime punishable by death.

“The spirit of what Trump did is clearly treasonous,” presidential historian and CNN commentator, Douglas Brinkley, said. Over on MSNBC, former Watergate prosecutor and MSNBC commentator, Nick Ackerman, said of reports Russia was helping the Trump campaign: “There’s outright treason.”

Other reporters and anchors forecast inevitable jail sentences for those in Trump’s inner circle.

In December 2017, MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski said the Trump Team might be going to jail "for the rest of their lives."

In December 2018, CNN's Wolf Blitzer asked Delaware Sen. Coons — as he often does — if he thought Trump might be facing jail time. Sen. Coons said yes, "the issues outlined against both Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort, I think, continue to sharpen the ways in which it is clear that the Mueller investigation has produced a whole series of actions not previously exposed to the public."

Democratic lawmakers were not immune from setting lofty expectations from the outcome of the investigation. In December 2018, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) said Trump could be the first president "to face the prospect of jail time."

"My takeaway is there’s a very real prospect that on the day Donald Trump leaves office the Justice Department may indict him, that he may be the first president in quite some time to face the real prospect of jail time," Rep. Schiff said. "We have been discussing the issue of pardons that the president may offer to people or dangle in front of people. The bigger pardon question may come down the road as the next president has to determine whether to pardon Donald Trump."

In March 2017, Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Texas) said the evidence he had already seen was enough proof of collusion he predicted prison sentences.

"My impression is after all of this is said and done that some people end up in jail,” he told CNN's Blitzer. "My impression is that people will probably be charged and probably go to jail.”

In March 2018, ABC's Joy Behar hopefully predicted of the Trump family: “I think they’re all going to end up together in prison and maybe that’s a good thing.”

And that’s just skimming the surface. Check out the montage above for more. [*To see montage click the link provided below*]

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Meanwhile, the Hollyweird celebutards are predictably rejecting the findings and are becoming increasingly unhinged. This from Rob "Meathead" Reiner:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What do the Russians have on Mueller?
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          That is the question! I'm sure the media will pick up on that and save our Republic...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Somebody needs to investigate that!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think given that the Russians DID offer to fix the election and the number of people in the campaign that were criminals the investigation wasn't a witch hunt, but it needed to happen. An investigation like this will hopefully make the smart people wise up to "yes" a foreign idiot can try and hack the election in the US.
              2) If you want to elect someone who isn't Donald Trump Vote in 2020
              3) Don't hire Cohen and Manafort. Ever
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

collusion.jpg
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                  ...the number of people in the campaign that were criminals...
                  A grand total of 5 or 6 people directly connected to the campaign were indicted and/or plead guilty, one of them (Paul Manafort) for crimes entirely unrelated to and committed years before Trump even announced his candidacy, and the rest were for nothing-burger process crimes. It's actually a surprisingly small number of people, and a surprisingly innocuous list of crimes when you consider just how deeply Mueller dug to find dirt on Trump and his staff.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    A grand total of 5 or 6 people directly connected to the campaign were indicted and/or plead guilty, one of them (Paul Manafort) for crimes entirely unrelated to and committed years before Trump even announced his candidacy, and the rest were for nothing-burger process crimes. It's actually a surprisingly small number of people, and a surprisingly innocuous list of crimes when you consider just how deeply Mueller dug to find dirt on Trump and his staff.
                    Would any of them have been charged/convicted were it not for the "we gotta get Trump no matter what"?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Would any of them have been charged/convicted were it not for the "we gotta get Trump no matter what"?
                      In the case of the process crimes, absolutely not. Those were crimes that were committed only because the individuals were drug in for questioning and caught in a perjury trap. In Manafort's case, it's hard to say if his crimes would have caught up with him eventually or not.

Comment

In the case of the process crimes, absolutely not. Those were crimes that were committed only because the individuals were drug in for questioning and caught in a perjury trap. In Manafort's case, it's hard to say if his crimes would have caught up with him eventually or not.
                        Agreed. So it's kinda like the "fruit of the poison tree" situation, in my opinion. If I come into your house on a phony warrant, and discover a stash of marihootchie on your dresser, any charges against you* would be thrown out in court due to the illegal nature of my search.

*assuming the DA even allowed charges to be pressed - depends on when and how the nature of the phony warrant is exposed.

Comment

Do you really believe that their behavior didn't warrant investigation? Crime has a way of catching up to you. And Manafort was laundering for years. Of all people CP you should know that no one is above the law. The campaign investigation was warranted no matter how you put it.
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                            Do you really believe that their behavior didn't warrant investigation?
                            Never said that - I just prefer that we do things legally and properly.

Crime has a way of catching up to you.
                            Well, so far it hasn't, though not for lack of trying (consider my home school arrest)

And Manafort was laundering for years. Of all people CP you should know that no one is above the law.
                            How bout dialing down the drama just a tad --- I'm fully aware no one is above the law, but I prefer to see the law properly applied within the confines of the Constitution.

The campaign investigation was warranted no matter how you put it.
                            You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Comment

Agreed. So it's kinda like the "fruit of the poison tree" situation, in my opinion. If I come into your house on a phony warrant, and discover a stash of marihootchie on your dresser, any charges against you* would be thrown out in court due to the illegal nature of my search.
                              That's a frequent plot point in Law & Order.

(Although it's usually a matter of the detectives inadvertently violating someone's rights rather than doing something deliberately shady because the cops are the good guys on the show.)

Comment

That's a frequent plot point in Law & Order.

(Although it's usually a matter of the detectives inadvertently violating someone's rights rather than doing something deliberately shady because the cops are the good guys on the show.)
                                Yeah, it's a common theme in law enforcement --- and because there are some unscrupulous investigators and police officers, the system sometimes too zealously throws out good arrests or prosecutions where honest mistakes were made that should not impact the outcome.

The worst, in my experience, was one in which we had arrested a man for the rape and murder of a 9 year old girl -- the guy actually took us to the body in wooded field. His conviction was thrown out, however, because some !$!^!&! Sheriff's Deputy offered the criminal a glass of wine during the interview "to calm him down" --- that deputy should be tied to a wagon wheel and horsewhipped - but the murderer/rapist shouldn't have been set free because of this idiot.

Comment