Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump immigration of Christians compared to Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump immigration of Christians compared to Obama

Recently I have seen a number of claims demonizing Obama as anti-Christian and putting Trump on the pro-Christian pedestal particularly in the area of immigration. The facts present a different picture.

Source: https://www.cato.org/blog/trump-has-cut-christian-refugees-64-muslim-refugees-93

Trump Has Cut Christian Refugees 64%, Muslim Refugees 93%

By DAVID BIER SHARE
    In a campaign address, Donald Trump told his supporters that “if you are Syrian and you’re Christian, it’s almost impossible to come into the United States… it’s all going to change.” After his inauguration, he reiterated the promise. “They’re chopping off the heads of everyone, but more so, the Christians,” he told CBN News. “I thought it was very, very unfair, so we’re going to help them.”

But he hasn’t. Refugee resettlement has changed, but not for the better. While his administration has reduced Muslim refugee arrivals 93 percent compared to the final months of the Obama administration, it has still slashed Christian refugees 64 percent. He has also cut Syrian Christian refugee arrivals by 94 percent and those from Iraq by 99 percent. He has admitted just 20 Syrian Christians in all of Fiscal Year 2018.

Figure 1 shows the monthly average refugee arrivals by fiscal year—which starts on October 1 and ends on Sept. 30—as far back as there are statistics available for religion. During the months of FY 2017 when President Obama was still in office, Christian refugee admissions averaged 3,586 per month. Christian admissions fell to 1,411 per month during the rest of the fiscal year before plummeting to 1,334. Figure 1 also shows that, while the Obama administration oversaw a rise in Muslim refugees, it didn’t reduce Christian refugees as a result.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-26-2019, 08:28 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Trump also neglects that the majority of the Christians support Assad in part because of his threat to burn their churches down. As long as they tow the line no one is going to loose their heads.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

So, lemme try to understand this...

Trump isn't necessarily hostile to Christian refugees in particular, or singling them out, but the net effect of his policy appears to be adversely and disproportionally affecting them?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The reason I ask is because the article particularly states:

The Trump administration is hostile to Christian refugees for the same reason that it opposes other legal immigrants to the United States: they could take jobs from Americans, commit crimes, and use welfare in the United States. Never mind that they commit crimes at lower rates than Americans, that even the Trump administration has found that refugees are fiscally positive for the United States, and that employed refugees create better paying jobs for existing workers.

It could be that it's not so much that he's "hostile to Christian refugees" in particular, as the article seems to say, but that they're simply lost in the overall policy.

And I'm not trying to defend Trump at all -- just trying to understand this.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think that they are lost in the policy. Anyone seeking asylum is lost in the policy. Obviously I hate it. And of course it's not right.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            I think that they are lost in the policy. Anyone seeking asylum is lost in the policy. Obviously I hate it. And of course it's not right.
            Which is why, of course, I think we need comprehensive immigration reform. I think, however, we're too divided for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Which is why, of course, I think we need comprehensive immigration reform. I think, however, we're too divided for that to happen.
              I strongly agree. The current immigration policies make me sick and very angry. The divisive social climate isn't helping at all...but right now there is nothing "just" about zero tolerance.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment