Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanna Know What's In Your Mailbox Without Opening it?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Mine is pretty much spot on --- whatever shows up in the email shows up in my mailbox.
    That's interesting. A few months ago, I was fielding complaints from somebody who complained that some of the letters they saw on their email didn't show up for 4-5 days after. So it does work better in other locations.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK, first of all --- SNAIL MAIL, not email.

Our mailbox - like many rural residents - is "way down the road", and I don't always stop by to see what's there. But I signed up for a new service a couple months ago, and every morning I get an email from the post office with screenshots of the various items that will be delivered that day! It's pretty cool. If you're waiting on a check, for example, you might wanna head on over there to get it. If it's just junk mail, wait til tomorrow!
    This could be very helpful, if it works. Some people here get "rural delivery" out at the end of the lane, but my family has rented a P.O. box in town for as long as I can remember. It's a hassle to drive down there, and especially annoying when there's only dreck. I end up forgetting about it and not going for weeks -- which causes problems of its own.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    That only works if the PO actually delivers the correct mail to your box.

I had to call our local PO last week because we keep getting mail for people with the same house number one street over.

And someone keeps getting our mail because we've seen people not PO carriers delivering it to our house.

Oh yeah, that.

I pick up at the P.O. A few times a year, I get stuff in my box that really is not close, either in terms of address or name. It's not real often, so I forget it happens and don't always think to check before opening. And the fact that I don't always pick up promptly... well... a while back, I opened a package thinking it was vitamins I forgot I'd ordered, but it was flippin' DRUGS. THEN I looked at the name and address, not even close. And by that time, it was WEEKS after the intended recipient was supposed to take them prior to surgery.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That's interesting. A few months ago, I was fielding complaints from somebody who complained that some of the letters they saw on their email didn't show up for 4-5 days after. So it does work better in other locations.
    I'm wondering if it has something to do with the sort function - it seems in Texas that some Post Offices are sort centers or regional distribution points, and others seem to be "down line".

In some places I lived, if you mailed a letter to somebody across the street, it would go to a nearby bigger city first, then come back. Where I currently live, if a letter gets dropped off at the PO by afternoon pickup, you can pretty well bet that the recipient in our same town will get it the next morning.

You probably know a lot more about this stuff than I do.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    This could be very helpful, if it works. Some people here get "rural delivery" out at the end of the lane, but my family has rented a P.O. box in town for as long as I can remember. It's a hassle to drive down there, and especially annoying when there's only dreck. I end up forgetting about it and not going for weeks -- which causes problems of its own.
    Yeah, our mailbox is "down the road", so it's helpful to know that there's only advertising in it, as opposed to something for which you are anxiously waiting.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Since most of my bills are paid automatically there are days that I don't get any mail at all, so I hate running down and checking only to find an empty mailbox. This way I can ignore it until I get an email.

7. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Oh yeah, that.

I pick up at the P.O. A few times a year, I get stuff in my box that really is not close, either in terms of address or name. It's not real often, so I forget it happens and don't always think to check before opening. And the fact that I don't always pick up promptly... well... a while back, I opened a package thinking it was vitamins I forgot I'd ordered, but it was flippin' DRUGS. THEN I looked at the name and address, not even close. And by that time, it was WEEKS after the intended recipient was supposed to take them prior to surgery.
    We've also received mail that belongs to someone with an address not even remotely similar to ours, in a different part of town. I wonder if sometimes the sorting machine doesn't separate the mail properly, or it gets stuck to another piece somehow, or the carrier just isn't paying attention.

We have been fortunate to have mail delivery to our home since we bought it in '78. Newer areas have big boxes for the whole block that you have to walk or drive t to pick up your mail. Better than driving to the PO every day, I guess.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We've also received mail that belongs to someone with an address not even remotely similar to ours, in a different part of town. I wonder if sometimes the sorting machine doesn't separate the mail properly, or it gets stuck to another piece somehow, or the carrier just isn't paying attention.

We have been fortunate to have mail delivery to our home since we bought it in '78. Newer areas have big boxes for the whole block that you have to walk or drive t to pick up your mail. Better than driving to the PO every day, I guess.
    A lot of times they'll stuff several envelopes into a folded over magazine, like slices of cheese in a Taco, rubber band that, and deliver the "package" -- if an envelope accidentally gets sorted into that "taco", the carrier won't even know.

(do they have tacos in Canada?)

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A lot of times they'll stuff several envelopes into a folded over magazine, like slices of cheese in a Taco, rubber band that, and deliver the "package" -- if an envelope accidentally gets sorted into that "taco", the carrier won't even know.

(do they have tacos in Canada?)
    We get that sort of mail sometimes.

And we have Taco Bell, which is part of KFC here. I've never eaten at Taco Bell. I'm waiting until Sylvester Stallone comes back to life and routs Wesley Snipes before I try TB.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We get that sort of mail sometimes.

And we have Taco Bell, which is part of KFC here. I've never eaten at Taco Bell. I'm waiting until Sylvester Stallone comes back to life and routs Wesley Snipes before I try TB.
    Taco Bell down here is the Mexican Phone Company.

12. Amen mossrose, Faber amen'd this post.