Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Smollett Charges Dropped...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I think he is working his way into getting it turned around and him being prosecuted. His best bet would be to slink into the shadows and hope everyone forgets.
    If charges are filed and then later dropped, does double jeopardy preclude one from being charged for the same crime in the future?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      If charges are filed and then later dropped, does double jeopardy preclude one from being charged for the same crime in the future?
      That only goes for prosecution. Not charges. He hasn't stood any trial yet. He can't be retried if he was found not guilty.

They dropped the charges. They can pick them right back up.

Comment

Source: Kim Foxx Never ‘Formally’ Recused Herself from Jussie Smollett Case

Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx never “formally” recused herself from the Jussie Smollett case ― contrary to the Chicago prosecutor’s public announcement that she had done so ― a spokesperson for the prosecutor confirms.

In a statement Wednesday, Cook County State’s Attorney spox Kiera Ellis said Foxx “did not formally recuse herself or the [State’s Attorney] Office based on any actual conflict of interest. As a result, she did not have to seek the appointment of a special prosecutor.”

According to Ellis, Foxx’s announcement that she had recused herself “was a colloquial use of the term rather than in its legal sense.”

“Instead, in an abundance of caution, Fox informally separated herself from the decision-making over the case and left it to her Assistants, as happens in 99.9% of all cases handled by the Office,” the spokesperson added.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...smollett-case/

© Copyright Original Source

The more we learn, the more rotten this smells.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Source: Kim Foxx Never ‘Formally’ Recused Herself from Jussie Smollett Case

Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx never “formally” recused herself from the Jussie Smollett case ― contrary to the Chicago prosecutor’s public announcement that she had done so ― a spokesperson for the prosecutor confirms.

In a statement Wednesday, Cook County State’s Attorney spox Kiera Ellis said Foxx “did not formally recuse herself or the [State’s Attorney] Office based on any actual conflict of interest. As a result, she did not have to seek the appointment of a special prosecutor.”

According to Ellis, Foxx’s announcement that she had recused herself “was a colloquial use of the term rather than in its legal sense.”

“Instead, in an abundance of caution, Fox informally separated herself from the decision-making over the case and left it to her Assistants, as happens in 99.9% of all cases handled by the Office,” the spokesperson added.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...smollett-case/

The more we learn, the more rotten this smells.
          And then when it didn't go the way she wanted leapt back in and through everything out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oh, hold on, it seems that Smollett's case was "inadvertently" sealed by the same state attorney who "colloquially" recused herself.

She even said, “Based on the facts and the evidence that was presented in the charging decision that was made by this office, this office believed that they could prove him guilty.”

So why did they drop the charges?

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-accidentally/
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-27-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

"None of this is normal—even for Crook County where I was an Assistant State’s Attorney. Educated guess: this hoax implicated someone very important who had pull with the State’s Attorney, and who very badly did not want to be implicated."

https://mobile.twitter.com/RandyEBar...ccidentally%2F

Comment

The dropping of charges like this after the police seemed to think they had such a solid case is very odd. One possibility is that the police dramatically overestimated or overstated the strength of their evidence; perhaps there was evidence that the two people he allegedly hired to attack him were simply making up the story of him hiring them in order to avoid punishment, and the police either disregarded it or did not find it as persuasive as prosecutors. Given that the Chicago police isn't known as the most trustworthy (consider the relatively recent cover-up regarding Laquan McDonald), such a situation is possible.

However, this is contradicted by several factors. If the prosecutors thought the evidence was insufficient, they haven't explained that as far as I know. And there was enough evidence to persuade a grand jury to indict. Now of course, those have a lower proof requirement than an actual jury, so that doesn't mean it's enough to get a conviction, but it shows that there was at least some amount of persuasive evidence.

The whole thing is just plain confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                  One possibility is that the police dramatically overestimated or overstated the strength of their evidence...
                  Doesn't seem so:

Source: Jussie Smollett update: FBI reviewing circumstances of Jussie Smollett's charges being dropped, sources confirm

[Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx] echoed the office's sentiment that the decision to drop charges against Smollett is not an exoneration.

"We believe that the facts were sufficient to charge and try Mr. Smollett for the crimes," Foxx said.

While a court did not find him guilty, she said: "Based on the facts and the evidence that was presented in the charging decision that was made by this office, this office believed that they could prove him guilty."

https://abc7chicago.com/jussie-smoll...eased/5219838/

I'm also reading "chatter" that the charges were dropped in a very unorthodox way so as not to leave a paper trail, and then the case was "inadvertently" sealed, which would have effectively made the entire thing disappear as if it had never existed if they had been less blatantly obvious about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    The dropping of charges like this after the police seemed to think they had such a solid case is very odd. One possibility is that the police dramatically overestimated or overstated the strength of their evidence; perhaps there was evidence that the two people he allegedly hired to attack him were simply making up the story of him hiring them in order to avoid punishment, and the police either disregarded it or did not find it as persuasive as prosecutors. Given that the Chicago police isn't known as the most trustworthy (consider the relatively recent cover-up regarding Laquan McDonald), such a situation is possible.

However, this is contradicted by several factors. If the prosecutors thought the evidence was insufficient, they haven't explained that as far as I know. And there was enough evidence to persuade a grand jury to indict. Now of course, those have a lower proof requirement than an actual jury, so that doesn't mean it's enough to get a conviction, but it shows that there was at least some amount of persuasive evidence.

The whole thing is just plain confusing.
                    Smollett was inappropriately made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public by Chicago police and officials, causing a rush to judgment even before the trial.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Smollett was inappropriately made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public by Chicago police and officials, causing a rush to judgment even before the trial.
                      I don't think that the treatment meted out to Smollet is in any way consistent with that meted out to Trump.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

FYI

Police report:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4033...ve-Documents-1

Grand Jury indictment:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4014...ury-Indictment

Comment

I guess it wasn't so sealed after all!
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            I guess it wasn't so sealed after all!
                            The police report is redacted and the GJ just shows the indictments, not what was said or what evidence was provided.

But yeah apparently it got released by the Chicago PD.

Comment

Smollett didn't just lie and try to instigate racial strife and attacks on Trump supporters, he was also more than willing to send two innocent random bystanders to prison in the process. He would have happily signed a statement that would have locked them up.

And he's let off scot free without even a slap on the wrist but something more akin to a pat on the back.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Smollett didn't just lie and try to instigate racial strife and attacks on Trump supporters, he was also more than willing to send two innocent random bystanders to prison in the process. He would have happily signed a statement that would have locked them up.

And he's let off scot free without even a slap on the wrist but something more akin to a pat on the back.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35930[/ATTACH]
                                Yeah that is what bothers me. If they wanted to just let him go with a slap on the wrist, they should have at least have him plead guilty so as to close the case and prevent him from going around proclaiming his innocence and threatening to sue the CPD. AND if he truly WAS innocent, then they should have released that information exonerating him. The way they did it, they leave the impression he is guilty, but they decided to play favorites and let him get away with it.

Comment