Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New Cambrian fossil diversity in China ~518 million years old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It is important that the basic characteristics of modern taxa are present in the simpler soft bodied animals of the Ediacaran. The bilateral, cnidarian and poriferan body geometries important to evolutionary relationships are present in the Ediacaran animals.
    Again, which Ediacaran animals are you saying are Cambrian predecessors? You made a positive claim, and I'm wondering specifically what it means.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      Again, which Ediacaran animals are you saying are Cambrian predecessors? You made a positive claim, and I'm wondering specifically what it means.

Blessings,
      Lee
      What my references stated, and what Roy's reference cited. Problem here; you said 'I think,' but 'oh my!' no references, only 'vague arguing from ignorance,' as Behe's parrot.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I would conclude instead that they are showing "that these fossils show characteristics of modern taxa", i.e. "a link in constructional mode", "sheds light on the development of structural support" stops short of declaring Coronacollina a predecessor.

Blessings,
        Lee
        What we have here is a failure to communicate, mainly your reading comprehension. 'declaring?' The article describes Coronacollina as predecessor.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Blessings,
          Lee
          . . . and the article described the relationship/ Your reading comprehension remain possibly an insurmountable problem.

Source: https://www.pnas.org/content/112/16/4865

Concluding Remarks

Taken as a whole, the Ediacara Biota represents an enigmatic assemblage of fossils that are not easily related to modern taxa. However, examination of aspects of the ecology, such as trace fossils, taphonomy, and morphology, reveal that these fossils show characteristics of modern taxa. It is clear that bilaterians, cnidarians, and poriferans are represented among the Ediacara Biota. Although we may never be able to reconcile the phylogeny of all, or even most, of the Ediacara taxa, it is likely that with these approaches, we will be able to continue to better relate these taxa with both modern and extinct animals.

© Copyright Original Source

Frank

Comment

I would conclude ...
            Of course you would. But that's because you're a quote-mining* coprolite trying to shore up a pre-existing view by sticking your head in the sand and refusing to actually read any of the provided references.

*Such as omitting "...across the Cambrian boundary..." from your two carefully snipped extracts.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Strange. When I read the paper, I find passages such as this:
              Source: ibid

A relatively new Ediacara fossil, Coronacollina acula, described by Clites and colleagues (27), is preserved in the Ediacara Member (Rawnsley Quartzite) of South Australia and represents the oldest multielement organism (Fig. 3). Coronacollina consists of a triradial truncated cone associated with ruler-straight spicules, up to 37 cm in length, diverging radially from the cone. The spicules most commonly disarticulated after death and only rarely are found attached to the truncated cone. The morphologic consistency between articulated and disarticulated spicules suggests they were made of a rigid substance, such as opaline silica or calcium carbonate. In life, the spicules likely provided structural support in a manner similar to the Cambrian demosponge, Choia. ... Constructed from a framework of rigid and brittle elements, Coronacollina reveals a constructional mode only recently recognized among members of the Ediacara biota. It provides a link in constructional mode across the Cambrian boundary and sheds light on the development of structural support in early sponges.

That names Coronacollina as an actual predecessor (of sponges).
              IIRC, some types of animals, such as cnidarians (which included sea anemones, corals, and jellyfish), annelids (segmented flatworms), arthropods and sponges, all originated in Precambrian times.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                IIRC, some types of animals, such as cnidarians (which included sea anemones, corals, and jellyfish), annelids (segmented flatworms), arthropods and sponges, all originated in Precambrian times.
                In the paper I cited referenced the body geometry of the Precambrian and early Cambrian soft bodied simpler animals that correlate with the geometry of later hard bodied and more complex animals.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Encyclopedia Britannica would seem to concur:

Source: Encyclopedia Britannica

Representatives of all four modern classes have been identified in Ediacaran fauna of the Precambrian Period... As much as 70 percent of Ediacaran species have been considered to be cnidarians.

Source

They do admit though that cnidarian evolution is still a bit of a puzzle:

Speculations about the origin of the phylum are not easily resolved, for preservable skeletal structures developed relatively late in cnidarian evolution.

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Encyclopedia Britannica would seem to concur:

Representatives of all four modern classes have been identified in Ediacaran fauna of the Precambrian Period... As much as 70 percent of Ediacaran species have been considered to be cnidarians.

Source

They do admit though that cnidarian evolution is still a bit of a puzzle:

Speculations about the origin of the phylum are not easily resolved, for preservable skeletal structures developed relatively late in cnidarian evolution.

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    First the Britannica reference is old. I cited a more recent academic reference that cites more. Again, wiki, Britannica, and 'I think' are not adequate references.

Your use of statements like; 'a bit of a puzzle' and 'not resolved' are more anecdotal vague 'arguing from ignorance' without substance nor academic references.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-05-2019, 09:21 AM.

Frank

Comment