Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The parable of the rich fool

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Context, context, context. In both cases, Jesus is talking to a specific person or persons about a specific instance/situation. It's not a universal command...the thing we can take away from it is to not let anything stand between you and God. If anything other than God controls your life, then that thing is Sin to you. Whether is money, family, work, possessions, love, food, drink, etc.
    Yeah that always bugs me when people take something said in the bible to a single person and try to make it apply to all people at all times. They tend to do it with blessings a lot too in the prosperity gospel.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Context, context, context. In both cases, Jesus is talking to a specific person or persons about a specific instance/situation. It's not a universal command...the thing we can take away from it is to not let anything stand between you and God. If anything other than God controls your life, then that thing is Sin to you. Whether is money, family, work, possessions, love, food, drink, etc.
    That, too.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah that always bugs me when people take something said in the bible to a single person and try to make it apply to all people at all times. They tend to do it with blessings a lot too in the prosperity gospel.
    Like "The Prayer of Jabez" that people treated like a magical incantation to get whatever you wanted.

4. Amen Littlejoe amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Context, context, context. In both cases, Jesus is talking to a specific person or persons about a specific instance/situation. It's not a universal command...
    Well, it does appear to be a universal command: "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!" (Luke 14:35)

the thing we can take away from it is to not let anything stand between you and God. If anything other than God controls your life, then that thing is Sin to you. Whether is money, family, work, possessions, love, food, drink, etc.
    But I think that more is intended:

"But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ..." (Phil. 3:7–8)

But Paul had "food and covering": "If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content." (1 Tim. 6:8)

I think the Lord will bring us to a point where we are called to give up what is precious in our eyes, like Abraham and Isaac. I've had some taste of this, though not as costly as Abraham and Isaac.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The parable doesn't expressly show the rich man doing anything wrong. However, Jesus's statement at the end implies that the rich man was being stingy toward God. Jesus is saying that every one of us will die, that we generally won't see it coming, and that the only way to transfer our wealth to the afterlife is to invest in God's kingdom. If we are rich toward ourselves but not toward God, then we are fools.

7. Amen KingsGambit, Joel, The Remonstrant amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I just thought of a possible way to interpret the parable that is simple and seems to fit all the facts. (Though the resulting meaning isn't really different from everything you all have been saying.) Hopefully I'm not reading this into the parable:

The rich man thinks he has attained what he thinks is heaven/paradise/Eden: "take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.” But he's wrong, "‘You fool!".

And it seems to fit Jesus' commentary:
    Your possessions can't give you paradise. ("not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.”)
    Nor are they necessary to obtain paradise. ("And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying.")
    If anything, it's the other way around. ("But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you.")

9. Amen The Remonstrant, tabibito amen'd this post.
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I just thought of a possible way to interpret the parable that is simple and seems to fit all the facts. (Though the resulting meaning isn't really different from everything you all have been saying.) Hopefully I'm not reading this into the parable:

The rich man thinks he has attained what he thinks is heaven/paradise/Eden: "take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.” But he's wrong, "‘You fool!".

And it seems to fit Jesus' commentary:
    Your possessions can't give you paradise. ("not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.”)
    Nor are they necessary to obtain paradise. ("And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying.")
    If anything, it's the other way around. ("But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you.")
    I think you're on to something here. IMO, it has to do with the Jews thinking that they are guaranteed paradise just because they are Jewish...and furthermore, the common thought of that era was, if you are wealthy, then you are blessed by God, and are assuredly on the right path. But, this man has stopped seeking the Kingdom because he was already "blessed and on his way to paradise"...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yup - that's the critical bit that the prosperity gospel elides. Along with the promise that troubles will also be multiplied.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think you're on to something here. IMO, it has to do with the Jews thinking that they are guaranteed paradise just because they are Jewish...and furthermore, the common thought of that era was, if you are wealthy, then you are blessed by God, and are assuredly on the right path. But, this man has stopped seeking the Kingdom because he was already "blessed and on his way to paradise"...
    It also goes along with other teaching in scripture that those who seek the praise of men and will have received their reward in full.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Like "The Prayer of Jabez" that people treated like a magical incantation to get whatever you wanted.
    That got SO old.... every time I heard people say "enlarge my territory", I wanted to shout "you can't even manage what you have NOW!!!!"
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---