Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 17:5 preexistence or foreknowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John 17:5 preexistence or foreknowledge?

John 17:5 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

5 Now, Father, glorify Me in Your presence
    with that glory I had with You
    before the world existed.

Does this verse confirm Jesus' preexistence or God's foreknowledge?

Jeremiah:

4 The word of the Lord came to me:

5 I chose you before I formed you in the womb;
    I set you apart before you were born.
    I appointed you a prophet to the nations.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

Jeremiah:

4 The word of the Lord came to me:

5 I chose you before I formed you in the womb;
    I set you apart before you were born.
    I appointed you a prophet to the nations.

Thank you.
    John 17:5 confirms the pre-existence of the Son while Jeremiah 4:5 confirms God's foreknowledge.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

και νυν δοξασον με συ πατερ παρα σεαυτω τη δοξη η ειχον προ του τον κοσμον ειναι παρα σοι
      and - now - glorify - me - you - father - beside - yourself - to the - glory - that - I was holding - before - of the - the - cosmos - to be - beside - to you

Nothing there addresses foreknowledge (προγινωσκω)

προ του με πλασαι σε εν κοιλια επισταμαι σε και προ του σε εξελθειν εκ μητρας ηγιακα σε προφητην εις εθνη τεθεικα σε
      before - of the - me - to form - you - in - abdominal cavity - I (fully) understand/comprehend - you - and - before - of the - you - to issue - from - of the womb - Ι have sanctified/set apart - you - prophet - to - the nations - I have appointed - you

Nothing there addresses preexistence. In fact - it addresses the lack of a preexistence.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

This is in the book that starts out: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being."

Comment

Thanks guys.

This is what I am dealing with from a Muslim:

If you trying to imply here that Jesus preexisted before the world was, then, you must understand that we all existed in the realm of God’s Mind and in His Plan BEFORE we even existed. This is clearly evidenced by God’s spoken Words to Jeremiah – “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” – Jeremiah 1:5, AND “Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be” – Psalm 139:16

Comment

Thanks guys.

This is what I am dealing with from a Muslim:

If you trying to imply here that Jesus preexisted before the world was, then, you must understand that we all existed in the realm of God’s Mind and in His Plan BEFORE we even existed. This is clearly evidenced by God’s spoken Words to Jeremiah – “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” – Jeremiah 1:5, AND “Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be” – Psalm 139:16
            John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”

Here Jesus claimed to be God, and to preexist His time on earth as Jesus. He's claiming to be the "I AM" that revealed Himself to Moses at the burning bush.

Comment

And in the psalm ...
              God saw his incomplete/unfinished body (a foetus) Hebrew: גֹּלֶם golem ... imperfect/incomplete/unfinished, of persons: a foetus
              "were written" in the LXX is γραφησονται (grafesontai) which should (by everything I know) be a future passive ... will get written
              likewise in the LXX
              "the days will get molded/fashioned" πλασθησονται (plasthesontai) with the same codicil.
              Given that I don't know Hebrew beyond a few words, I can't give any information about what the Hebrew texts themselves should say. However, I am reasonably confident that the Hebrew scholars who produced the Septuagint were fluent in both languages.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”

Here, Jesus claimed to preexist His time on earth as Jesus.
                That is true enough.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Here Jesus claimed to be God, and to preexist His time on earth as Jesus. He's claiming to be the "I AM" that revealed Himself to Moses at the burning bush.
                  You might be surprised how a Muslim would interpret this one.

I tell them to look at the reaction of the Jews because they knew exactly what Jesus was claiming.

Comment

You might be surprised how a Muslim would interpret this one.

I tell them to look at the reaction of the Jews because they knew exactly what Jesus was claiming.
                    Having had similar discussions with Muslims in the past, I doubt much would surprise me. Usually they just say this part was corrupted, and Jesus didn't really say that, or that I Am/YHWH isn't God's true name, so Jesus wasn't making a claim to deity there.

Comment

Having had similar discussions with Muslims in the past, I doubt much would surprise me. Usually they just say this part was corrupted, and Jesus didn't really say that, or that I Am/YHWH isn't God's true name, so Jesus wasn't making a claim to deity there.
                      On that, they would be correct. It addresses the pre-existence of Christ, but not his deity.
                      Exd 3:14 - 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM (εγο ειμι - ego eimi) THAT I AM (ο ων - ho on[pron:own]): and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM (ο ων) hath sent me unto you.

In Koine Greek, the "divine name" is ο ων.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment