Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden, Me Too..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Scooby-doo would say Ruh-roh! A second woman has stepped forth.

Source: Connecticut woman says then-Vice President Joe Biden touched her inappropriately at a Greenwich fundraiser in 2009

A Connecticut woman says Joe Biden touched her inappropriately and rubbed noses with her during a 2009 political fundraiser in Greenwich when he was vice president, drawing further scrutiny to the Democrat and his history of unwanted contact with women as he ponders a presidential run

"It wasn't sexual, but he did grab me by the head," Amy Lappos told The Courant Monday. "He put his hand around my neck and pulled me in to rub noses with me. When he was pulling me in, I thought he was going to kiss me on the mouth."

Lappos posted about the alleged incident on the Facebook page of Connecticut Women in Politics Sunday in response to a similar account by former Nevada legislator Lucy Flores, which comes as Biden is considering a 2020 run for president. Flores accused Biden of kissing her on the back of her head in 2014, when she was a candidate for lieutenant governor.

Lappos, 43, who is now a freelance worker with nonprofit agencies, said she felt extremely uncomfortable when Biden approached her at the 2009 fundraiser for U.S. Rep. Jim Himes, D-4th, where she was volunteering. At the time, Lappos was a congressional aide to Himes, who she said was not in the room when the incident took place.

I never filed a complaint, to be honest, because he was the vice president. I was a nobody," Lappos said. "There's absolutely a line of decency. There's a line of respect. Crossing that line is not grandfatherly. It's not cultural. It's not affection. It's sexism or misogyny."

A spokeswoman for Biden declined to respond to the allegations by Lappos and instead offered a statement that Biden issued Sunday about the Flores controversy.

"In my many years on the campaign trail and in public life, I have offered countless handshakes, hugs, expressions of affection, support and comfort. And not once - never - did I believe I acted inappropriately," Biden said. "If it is suggested I did so, I will listen respectfully. But it was never my intention. I may not recall these moments the same way, and I may be surprised at what I hear. But we have arrived at an important time when women feel they can and should relate their experiences, and men should pay attention. And I will."

Himes, who is in his sixth term as the congressman for southwestern Connecticut, said he first learned Monday about the allegation by Lappos and was not prepared to immediately comment.

The $1,000-per-plate luncheon with Biden took place at Oct. 5, 2009, at the Cliffdale Road home of affordable housing developer Ron Moelis. Future Sens. Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy were in attendance, as well as future Gov. Dannel P. Malloy.

Biden spoke for about 20 minutes outside the home on a terrace, which was open to the media. Reporters were not allowed inside the house, which is where Lappos said the incident took place. Lappos appeared in three photos with Biden at the event, which she said were taken after his remarks and before the incident. She said she was in the kitchen with four to five other volunteers, when Biden moved toward her.

Bob Natt, a major contributor to Democrats and an Easton resident, said he and his wife had their photo taken with Biden and did not witness anything questionable.

“The entire photo session was in good fun and Joe did nothing inappropriate,” said Natt, who shared photos from the event with The Courant.

In her Facebook post, Lappos used the pseudonym Alice Paul, the suffragist who championed the 19th Amendment giving women the right to vote and the Equal Rights Amendment, to discuss her exchange with Biden.

"Biden did something similar to me at a fundraiser in Greenwich when I was a congressional aide," Lappos wrote in her Facebook post. "I'm really disappointed to see this [Facebook] post ask 'thoughts' as if the grossness of men invading women's boundaries to sniff and touch is debatable. And shame on some of the women here excusing this as boys being boys or it's not as bad as Trump. I can speak from experience when I say it's an incredibly uncomfortable situation and not at all acceptable. We need to hold our men to the same standards we hold all men."

Lappos said that Democrats cannot condone Biden's behavior and anoint him as a presidential candidate while at the same time condemning President Donald Trump for his sexist treatment of women.

"If Biden truly supports women and gender equality he would step aside and support one of the many talented and qualified women running," she said. "The same goes for the other men who have thrown their hat in the ring. Women are 52 percent of the population. We are not a minority, we are the majority. It is time we are represented as such. After 45 male presidents it is time we elect a woman."

Biden said in his statement Sunday that he has a strong record of supporting women.

"I will also remain the strongest advocate I can be for the rights of women," Biden said. "I will fight to build on the work I've done in my career to end violence against women and ensure women are treated with the equality they deserve. I will continue to surround myself with trusted women advisers who challenge me to see different perspectives than my own. And I will continue to speak out on these vitally-important issues where there is much more progress to be made and crucial fights that must be waged and won."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Giving a kid a hug or ece a kiss on the cheek isnt inaporopriate behavior - depending on context whichvwe dont have.
      You're in pretty serious denial if you dismiss any of this as normal and appropriate.

Would you really be so blase' if it was Trump in those videos?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        You're in pretty serious denial if you dismiss any of this as normal and appropriate.

Would you really be so blase' if it was Trump in those videos?
        Many in the MSM are bending over backwards trying to hand wave all of this away but you know they would have gleefully sold their souls for just one photo of Kavanaugh doing this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Many in the MSM are bending over backwards trying to hand wave all of this away but you know they would have gleefully sold their souls for just one photo of Kavanaugh doing this.
          We're supposed to condemn Trump as a sexual predator simply for his words while excusing Biden for his actual deeds caught on camera. "It's just Joe being Joe!"

I love the smell of double-standards in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I had a boss like him back in the 80s. He would walk around and massage peoples shoulders while talking in meeting. I think he thought he was being friendly or fatherly, but it was very awkward. Other than that he was a nice guy.
            Yeah, a shoulder rub is quite a bit more innocent than repeatedly kissing a young girl who clearly does not want to be kissed, or putting a hand under her armpit and onto her chest. I wouldn't even touch my own daughter that way!

Comment

Coming out of the woodwork...

Connecticut woman says then-Vice President Joe Biden touched her inappropriately at a Greenwich fundraiser in 2009

A Connecticut woman says Joe Biden touched her inappropriately and rubbed noses with her during a 2009 political fundraiser in Greenwich when he was vice president, drawing further scrutiny to the Democrat and his history of unwanted contact with women as he ponders a presidential run

"It wasn't sexual, but he did grab me by the head," Amy Lappos told The Courant Monday. "He put his hand around my neck and pulled me in to rub noses with me. When he was pulling me in, I thought he was going to kiss me on the mouth."

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...zzm-story.html
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

2015: Joe Biden's yuck factor

2015: America Shouldn't Tolerate 'Biden Being Biden'

2013: Down Joe! Hilariously awkward moment Biden gets a bit too friendly with White House reporter at Christmas party

2013: Beau Biden defends dad's PDA

2013 video titled "Biden Gets Frisky With Senator's Wife". You can see her try to step away, but Biden keeps a firm grip around the side and pulls her back towards him.

So, yeah, this isn't anything new. We've known about it for years. Although I can't seem to find any stories early than 2013, at least not on Google. Maybe people just didn't start noticing until then?

Comment

Even CNN's Jake Tapper says that Biden's behavior is inappropriate:

"I have to say, if any of the men around this table behaved this way at our places of work, we would get reprimanded, we would get potentially even fired. You are not allowed to touch women inappropriately. Again, it doesn’t matter if your intention is sexual or just friendly — you can’t massage a woman’s shoulders and sniff her hair and kiss the back of her head. That’s not appropriate."

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019...ing-shoulders/

This pile-on even from reliably liberal sources tells us that "the establishment" REALLY doesn't want Biden as the nominee. I think he's considered too "moderate" for the modern Democrat party, if you can believe it, and they're trying to take him out early.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Unless it involves Trump
                    Not true rogue and you know it.

Thanks for filling in the picture a bit better though in terms of his history, your (you and MM and Sparko) reactions do make more sense knowing that is his legacy and how far he has pushed it over time.

I guess the question then is why was the media surprised at the senators revelation? Seems this is more a well known aspect of who he is. And why would the senator herself have been shocked?

SO i will retract my harshness over what i saw as an over the top use of the kid video. It does seem there is a broader context that makes that video more disturbing and not simply a guy that is affectionate with kids.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

This pile-on even from reliably liberal sources tells us that "the establishment" REALLY doesn't want Biden as the nominee. I think he's considered too "moderate" for the modern Democrat party, if you can believe it, and they're trying to take him out early.
                      I don't think that's the case. I think it's more likely they're very much aware of how powerful accusations of sexual misconduct are nowadays and really don't want to worry about their candidate having to deal with that, especially because it means they can't bang the sexual harassment gong against Trump.

Comment

Well, they can try to "bang the gong" against Trump, but he doesn't have a history of sexual harassment. There were the accusers who suddenly crawled out of the woodwork right before he won the election, but none of their stories were credible, and after the election, they all disappeared just as suddenly, and we haven't heard a peep out of any of them since.

Comment

Well, they can try to "bang the gong" against Trump, but he doesn't have a history of sexual harassment. There were the accusers who suddenly crawled out of the woodwork right before he won the election, but none of their stories were credible, and after the election, they all disappeared just as suddenly, and we haven't heard a peep out of any of them since.
                          Access Hollywood. That was trump talking.

There was hush money paid by trump to silence daniels.

Trump has played the field many times with allegations of affairs etc stretching back to the '80s

You clearly and unashamably apply two completely different standards: one for those you want in office, another for those you don't.

Jim
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-01-2019, 10:10 PM.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

But it was just talk.

Assuming anything happened between them (and this isn't certain), it was a consensual act.

Trump has played the field many times with allegations of affairs etc stretching back to the '80s
                            Immoral, sure, but affairs are, again, consensual acts.

So, yeah, none of that makes Trump a sexual predator like Biden who inappropriately touches women and young girls to the point that even the far-left talking-heads at CNN can't bring themselves to defend his behavior.

You clearly and unashamably apply two completely different standards: one for those you want in office, another for those you don't.
                            trump wrong.jpg

Comment

But it was just talk.

Assuming anything happened between them (and this isn't certain), it was a consensual act.

Immoral, sure, but affairs are, again, consensual acts.

So, yeah, none of that makes Trump a sexual predator like Biden who inappropriately touches women and young girls to the point that even the far-left talking-heads at CNN can't bring themselves to defend his behavior.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36035[/ATTACH]
                              Denial cant change the reality.

Jim

Comment

Trump has played the field mamy times with allegations of affairs etc stretching back to the '80s

You ckearly and unashamably apply two completely different standards: one for those you want in office, another for those you don't.

Jim
                                An allegation of harassment and an allegation of indiscretions with willing partners. How do the two suddenly become equivalent?

On the face of it though, it does seem that the complaints against Biden might be something of a beat up.
                                Certainly, in the case of adults - the opportunity to say to Biden "don't do that" exists. Neither objecting at the appropriate time nor to the person concerned, and later making public objections doesn't make it seem that the complainants know how to adult.

"Did you object at the time?"
                                "No."
                                "Did you complain to him later?"
                                "No."
                                even where possibe.
                                "Did you avoid being placed in that situation again?"
                                "No."

"So how is that harassment?"
                                "It made me feel uncomfortable."
                                "Did you tell him that's how you felt?"
                                "No."
                                "So how can it be harassment?"
                                "He shouldn't do things like that"

True. The bloke is a troglodyte, creepy (and a host of other rather less than complimentary terms), oblivious to readily apparent discomfit etc. But harassment would involve knowingly doing something knowing that the recipient finds objectionable.

Children can't be expected to know how to adult - so that might be a different story.
                                Last edited by tabibito; 04-01-2019, 10:22 PM.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment