Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good CRI article on ethics within the worlds of modern board games

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Good CRI article on ethics within the worlds of modern board games

https://www.equip.org/article/the-et...nd-card-games/

I don't know how many other people are interested in this sort of thing, but I'm really into modern board/card games. Some Christians have asked about the ethics of performing "actions" that might be sinful if done in the real world within these games (one example might be playing a Witch card in Dominion that essentially places a "spell" on one's opponent, but all it actually does is forces them to draw two cards). This article does a good job of navigating the waters between what is and isn't acceptable for Christians, as there is grey area. It's not unique to modern board games, of course. The goal of Monopoly is trying to drive other people into bankruptcy, which isn't something Christians should be doing, but nobody would think that Monopoly is sinful, for instance. One distinction I appreciated from the article was differentiating between a World War II simulation game where one person plays Germany (acceptable) and a nonexistent game where somebody roleplays as a concentration camp guard (unacceptable) based on "distance" from the immoral actions in mind.

The article actually has a very positive view of these sorts of games (which I obviously do too). They provide opportunities for creative thinking and are a good, clean social activity that usually don't take too long.

(I read this article awhile back, but Nick's blog post about video games and violence got me thinking about it tangentially.)
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 09-23-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    https://www.equip.org/article/the-et...nd-card-games/

I don't know how many other people are interested in this sort of thing, but I'm really into modern board/card games. Some Christians have asked about the ethics of performing "actions" that might be sinful if done in the real world within these games (one example might be playing a Witch card in Dominion that essentially places a "spell" on one's opponent, but all it actually does is forces them to draw two cards). This article does a good job of navigating the waters between what is and isn't acceptable for Christians, as there is grey area. It's not unique to modern board games, of course. The goal of Monopoly is trying to drive other people into bankruptcy, which isn't something Christians should be doing, but nobody would think that Monopoly is sinful, for instance. One distinction I appreciated from the article was differentiating between a World War II simulation game where one person plays Germany (acceptable) and a nonexistent game where somebody roleplays as a concentration camp guard (unacceptable) based on "distance" from the immoral actions in mind.

The article actually has a very positive view of these sorts of games (which I obviously do too). They provide opportunities for creative thinking and are a good, clean social activity that usually don't take too long.

(I read this article awhile back, but Nick's blog post about video games and violence got me thinking about it tangentially.)
    As a board gamer myself, this is something I've thought some about, so I'm interested. I'll give the article a read, thanks.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Couldn't read it - way too faint for me - is that some sort of paywall?

Probably just as well - my reading list is already ridiculously long...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think it's paywalled, unless I'm just special.

(No, not special in that way...)
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I don't think it's paywalled, unless I'm just special.

(No, not special in that way...)

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For some reason I got the impression that you didn't think highly of video games. Was that impression wrong?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Um, KG or me?

My Personal Blog

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Um, KG or me?
    Sorry, KG. You stealth posted in front of my reply.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Sorry, KG. You stealth posted in front of my reply.
    Just keeping up my ninjitsu practice.

My Personal Blog

10. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    For some reason I got the impression that you didn't think highly of video games. Was that impression wrong?
    Nope. But this is about board games (like of the tabletop variety), not video games. And video game culture is more my concern than the games themselves (apart from issues of gratuitous violence).

Edit to clarify: I was reminded from Nick's post because many Christians seem to think that directly simulating graphic violence in video games is okay (actually aiming at a character/figure and shooting). Meanwhile, this article is about people like me who struggle with whether it's okay to do something indirectly simulating an immoral action in the theme of a board game. Not the same thing at all.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 09-25-2019 at 04:16 PM.