Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Banning Chick-fil-A is not only bigoted -- it’s illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Christians can pray in school but they have to keep it secret. When I did my stint as a teacher in a Junior High, they actually had a room dedicated to Muslim prayer, and encouraged all students to visit it for "cultural" reasons. They even observed Ramadan as an optional school holiday.
    Not necessarily in secret but privately without being obvious unlike Muslims who often get special accommodations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Not necessarily in secret but privately without being obvious unlike Muslims who often get special accommodations.

But, there's no bias against Christians, right?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• They should allow Chick-Fil-A in schools! With special rooms set aside for eating the food. And kids could pray and ask God to bless their chicken sandwiches!

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          But, there's no bias against Christians, right?
          For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

sarcasm.gif Noooooooooo. Not at all. sarcasm.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I'll be on a conference call with Ken Paxton (Texas Attorney General) this morning concerning this matter - apparently, there's "a plan". I'll post an update.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Meanwhile, there's this...

SaveChickFilA

(Conference call just now starting)
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Conference call with Ken Paxton summary...

So far, AG is in the investigative stage, gathering in formation.
                Apparently, various city council members are documented as giving differing accounts of the process, some of which are clearly hostile to religious liberty - those appear to be the ones that will be called in for depositions.

Supposedly, because there are federal funds involved (Department of Transportation), there are requirements and limitations on how the City of San Antonio issues contracts.
                It's like the bid process was proceeding normally and legally, then the city council stepped in and perverted the process.

Several SCOTUS cases were cited, and it appears that Paxton plans on taking this all the way to the top, as there are other cities in the nation making the same bad decisions.

Texas HB3172 and HB1075 are being referenced - 3172 deals with religious freedom issues, and appear to be being amended to include religious freedom issues in commerce.

Fairly brief call reporting that the issue is being actively investigated, and the AG seems confident that the city of San Antonio council will be shown to have acted in bad faith, and with extreme prejudice.

Comment

Conference call with Ken Paxton summary...

So far, AG is in the investigative stage, gathering in formation.
                  Apparently, various city council members are documented as giving differing accounts of the process, some of which are clearly hostile to religious liberty - those appear to be the ones that will be called in for depositions.

Supposedly, because there are federal funds involved (Department of Transportation), there are requirements and limitations on how the City of San Antonio issues contracts.
                  It's like the bid process was proceeding normally and legally, then the city council stepped in and perverted the process.

Several SCOTUS cases were cited, and it appears that Paxton plans on taking this all the way to the top, as there are other cities in the nation making the same bad decisions.

Texas HB3172 and HB1075 are being referenced - 3172 deals with religious freedom issues, and appear to be being amended to include religious freedom issues in commerce.

Fairly brief call reporting that the issue is being actively investigated, and the AG seems confident that the city of San Antonio council will be shown to have acted in bad faith, and with extreme prejudice.
                  That was largely why I said
                  Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  A couple of very large financial settlements might wake up these woke persons.

This needs to be slapped down and slapped down hard so as to send a message.

Comment

• So far, AG is in the investigative stage, gathering in formation.
                    So - Bombing raid? Migrating? Circle formation as defence against the marauders?
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• The vote is TODAY --

THIS IS IT! The ‘Save Chick-fil-A’ religious freedom bill, SB 1978, is on today’s Major State Calendar in the Texas House. The bill is scheduled for a full floor vote by the Texas House, likely starting around 10 AM THIS MORNING. Passing the Texas House is the final step before the bill goes to Governor Abbott to be signed into law.

ETA: Passed about Noon.
                      Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-20-2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• So, what's the outcome?

I'm too lazy to read the thread through again.....

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          So, what's the outcome?

I'm too lazy to read the thread through again.....

Basically, I think they're bolstering their case that the council erred in banning Chick-Fil-A, and are hoping for a reversal of that decision. I'll post updates as we get them, but it's essentially illegal now in Texas to eliminate an establishment for consideration for contracts based on their religious beliefs.

Comment

Basically, I think they're bolstering their case that the council erred in banning Chick-Fil-A, and are hoping for a reversal of that decision. I'll post updates as we get them, but it's essentially illegal now in Texas to eliminate an establishment for consideration for contracts based on their religious beliefs.

Comment

Here's the way the left describes it: "As put forth (and amended) by Sen. Bryan Hughes, R-Mineola, SB 1978 seeks to put into law protections for people and businesses who've donated to or are affiliated with a religious organization from being penalized by city or government officials for that relationship even if the organization is known to discriminate against the LGBTQ community or others. Its momentum grew when San Antonio's City Council blocked Chick-fil-A from opening an airport location due to its longstanding anti-LGBTQ connections."

Comment

• Here's another account from the Texas Tribune....

Over the tearful opposition of the Legislature’s first-ever LGBTQ Caucus and several failed attempts at a procedural block, the Texas House on Monday passed a religious liberty bill that LGBTQ advocates fear would license discrimination against their communities.

When the lower chamber first considered the bill just over a week ago, the LGBTQ Caucus torpedoed it with a procedural move. This time, an attempt to do the same failed, as did emotional exhortations from the five women who make up the caucus.

After two hours of debate, Senate Bill 1978 — which prohibits government entities from punishing individuals or organizations for their “membership in, affiliation with, or contribution ... to a religious organization” — passed on a nearly party-line preliminary vote, 79 to 62. If the House grants formal approval and the Senate agrees to a change made on the lower chamber’s floor Monday, the bill will head to the governor.

“This bill is going to pass, let’s face it,” said state Rep. Celia Israel, D-Austin, said from the front of the chamber minutes before her colleagues cast their votes. “It’s been cloaked in religious freedom, but the genesis, the nexus of this bill, is in hatred.”
                                It IS about hatred -- the left hates free speech unless it's their own speech - and want to punish people for simply being associated with causes that are pro-family or Christian based.

Comment