Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why Evolution is True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Evolution is True

No, that's not what you think. Rather, I am reffering to the book by the Jerry A. Coyne(https://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution...gateway&sr=8-2).

So, simple question: do you think this book from 2009 is still a worthwhile, or it's outdated by now? I am close to finishing it, by the way.

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
    No, that's not what you think. Rather, I am reffering to the book by the Jerry A. Coyne(https://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution...gateway&sr=8-2).

So, simple question: do you think this book from 2009 is still a worthwhile, or it's outdated by now? I am close to finishing it, by the way.
    Evolution has always been true. I have not reviewed this book, but the evidence in 2009 was overwhelming support of evolution. The difference between 2009 and 2019 is that there is even more evidence in fossil discoveries and genetic research to support evolution since.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I've read it. Can't remember anything specific about but remember thinking it was generally a decent overview though I'm no fan of Coyne.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sorry I meant to say ''is it a worthwhile READ?''.

Comment

Sorry I meant to say ''is it a worthwhile READ?''.
          I had a chance to look through it at the library. It is an OK general book for layman, and reasonably accurate.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I've read it. Can't remember anything specific about but remember thinking it was generally a decent overview though I'm no fan of Coyne.
            You disagree with his other philosophical propositions?

Comment

You disagree with his other philosophical propositions?
              It's possible to think someone is smug, arrogant, and overly in love with his own reasoning even if you agree with most of the conclusions he reaches.
              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

I just finished the book. Great read.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                  It's possible to think someone is smug, arrogant, and overly in love with his own reasoning even if you agree with most of the conclusions he reaches.
                  Yeah, you're right.

Comment