Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Brewing Rebellion in Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Brewing Rebellion in Seattle

When I first saw the title, I thought this might be about micro-breweries and big alcohol!

It is, however, an expose on a city run amuck with liberal nonsense, and somebody finally stepping up and saying something about it.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

You know you've won the debate when the leftists call you white supremacist, bigot, racist, homophobe, sexists.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

When I first saw the title, I thought this might be about micro-breweries and big alcohol!

It is, however, an expose on a city run amuck with liberal nonsense, and somebody finally stepping up and saying something about it.
      This article causes me to ponder some rather difficult conundrums:

Is it possible to care about poor people without allowing chaos? Is it possible to push back against idiot policies that encourage crime without catering only to the rich?

Is it possible to care about the environment without killing the economy? Is it possible to be reasonable about the cost of dealing with AGM without giving in to big industry special interests?

It seems to me there is almost nowhere left in this country where it is possible to be sensible, or reasonable. We either build a wall and throw kids in detention centers, or we just open the doors wide and let whoever will waltz in.

Is it possible to recognize the abuse of women without ruining the careers of men that accidentally make a women 'uncomfortable'*?

Is there no one left that actually wants to do the right thing, do the the thing that is best for everyone?

Jim

*NOT a reference to Biden
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-03-2019, 11:52 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        This article causes me to ponder some rather difficult conundrums:

Is it possible to care about poor people without allowing chaos? Is it possible to push back against idiot policies that encourage crime without catering only to the rich?
        Absolutely. Our local shelter, of which our Church is a supporter, does this every day of the week.

Is it possible to care about the environment without killing the economy? Is it possible to be reasonable about the cost of dealing with AGM without giving in to big industry special interests?

It seems to me there is almost nowhere left in this country where it is possible to be sensible, or reasonable. We either build a wall and throw kids in detention centers, or we just open the doors wide and let whoever will waltz in.
        I guess I don't live "in this country".

Is it possible to recognize the abuse of women without ruining the careers of men that accidentally make a women 'uncomfortable'*?

Is there no one left that actually wants to do the right thing, do the the thing that is best for everyone?

Jim

*NOT a reference to Biden
        Certainly it's possible, but we have to agree that's what we want, instead of pursuing our own agenda.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Absolutely. Our local shelter, of which our Church is a supporter, does this every day of the week.

I guess I don't live "in this country".
          My entire reply is addressed to the talking heads of the county and those that question not one iota of what is propagated from them. It is not meant to impune any individual here.

The problem as I see it is that there is no way to speak up for any sane policy because the extremes on both sides will take issue with it and start rallying against such a position a painting it as if it represented the other extreme, when in fact it is in-between the two extremes and represents a balanced point of view.

Certainly it's possible, but we have to agree that's what we want, instead of pursuing our own agenda.
          I think that's the point. Even here I can't push back on any point made to try to find some sort of middle ground. The perception is: IF one pushes back, one is in bed with the 'other' guy and MUST be stomped on, pushed aside, belittled etc etc.

It was like that in Nat Sci too. A person could not even ask if a point of view was valid. Which ever side regarded the 'question' as absurd because it's already 'settled science' ripped the poor 'questioner' to shreds.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

My entire reply is addressed to the talking heads of the county and those that question not one iota of what is propagated from them.
            Yeah, unfortunately, they probably aren't reading here.

It is not meant to impune any individual here.

The problem as I see it is that there is no way to speak up for any sane policy because the extremes on both sides will take issue with it and start rallying against such a position a painting it as if it represented the other extreme, when in fact it is in-between the two extremes and represents a balanced point of view.
            That's why it's important to be involved locally - you don't have to go with national idiocy.

I think that's the point. Even here I can't push back on any point made to try to find some sort of middle ground. The perception is: IF one pushes back, one is in bed with the 'other' guy and MUST be stomped on, pushed aside, belittled etc etc.
            TWeb seems to be a microcosm of the extreme polarization of the country. I don't find that nearly as much in our local community.

It was like that in Nat Sci too. A person could not even ask if a point of view was valid. Which ever side regarded the 'question' as absurd because it's already 'settled science' ripped the poor 'questioner' to shreds.

Jim
            Tell me about it! I ask a simple question about Climate Change, and the Climate Inquisitors start.... Or even THINK about marriage being between one man and one woman, and you're branded.....

It comes from both sides, Jim.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately, they probably aren't reading here.

That's why it's important to be involved locally - you don't have to go with national idiocy.

TWeb seems to be a microcosm of the extreme polarization of the country. I don't find that nearly as much in our local community.

Tell me about it! I ask a simple question about Climate Change, and the Climate Inquisitors start.... Or even THINK about marriage being between one man and one woman, and you're branded.....

It comes from both sides, Jim.
              But that's the point. Who decides to stop because the way things are going it just will get worse. Someone has to turn the other cheek and put up a higher goal than 'victory!'

Jim

Comment

But that's the point. Who decides to stop because the way things are going it just will get worse. Someone has to turn the other cheek and put up a higher goal than 'victory!'

Jim
                I've been backing WAY off, Jim... For example, I've pretty well concluded that trying to have a conversation with Tassman is like wrestling a pig in the mud -- I get all dirty and he seems to enjoy it.

Comment

My entire reply is addressed to the talking heads of the county and those that question not one iota of what is propagated from them. It is not meant to impune any individual here.

Jim
                  I also think the entire country has gone insane. I wonder if our descendants will look back at the early 21st century as "the time of madness"?

Come Lord Jesus!

Comment

I was really hop(p)ing this thread was going to be about craft beer.
                    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                      That was beerly a pun.

Comment

from the OP....

Comment

from the OP....

Okay. Gotta give CP credit for coming up with the joke first. I skimmed the first page, missed his comment, then jumped to make my (stale) joke.

Take your amen..
                          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Okay. Gotta give CP credit for coming up with the joke first. I skimmed the first page, missed his comment, then jumped to make my (stale) joke.

Take your amen..

Comment

I thought this thread was about coffee.

You heathens and your booze.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment