Page 90 of 205 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    “Jefferts Schori leaves a wide wake of destruction behind with this sermon: the eternal triune God has been torn down, human beings are to boldly claim our place as God, and the sacraments of the Eucharist and Baptism have been turned into things our hands make. In other words, Jefferts Schori accepts that now humanity, animals and God are one undifferentiated blob.
    This is essentially a form of solipsism

Not so sure about solipsism - looks to me more like pantheism. (though other details might change that.)
    One thing Schori did get right though - the Anglican church did miss the boat. There's nothing that should have prevented Schori's excommunication.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    A 'christian sect'?
    Right now trying to work out how to complain to Google.

If Spong and co. were in charge, maybe I wouldn't.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Yes, and society has a particular moral goal in mind, the best interests of all the members therein.
    You mean like the Soviet and Maoist or Nazi societies?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    This is interesting. There are a number of people who are self-proclaimed Christians like John Shelby Spong, Robert Funk, Lloyd Geering, and John Dominic Crossan who do not believe in God. In the past on this forum, Christians have been told by skeptics that a Christian is merely anyone who claims they are one (regardless of what they believe). Do you not agree with this? Do you believe that there are certain prerequisites to one calling oneself a Christian? Would you not consider Crossan or Spong Christians?
    Jim, did you miss this post?

5. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    So, you disagree with the Episcopalian Church (or at least your quote-mined version of it); there's no need to shout about it. It no doubt disagrees with your narrow, judgmental version of Christianity, which is so full of hate.
    I've discussed church history enough with you that you're well aware just how inapt your accusation is here. You're not even bothering to pretend to have a reasonable discussion at this point; all you're trying to do is get Cow Poke mad. The rest of your post is simply further attempts at doing the same.

Don't you have anything better to do, like drinking fine whisky and making daisy chains?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

7. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wow, Jimmy! You might be right after all! The Episcopal Church in America does, indeed, seem to be fast approaching "sect" status instead of "denomination"....
    Hey CP, not sure if you're aware of this or not, but, while the word "sect" can refer to something like a "cult", it's also often used as a synonym for "denomination". Confusing, I know. I remember as a kid in the 80s that there used to be a lot of parodies on the popular book "The Joy of Sex" called "The Joy of Sects," which was essentially poking fun at all of the different denominations within Christianity.

I gotta hand it to you, Jimmy -- without your goofy claim that Pete is a Christian because he's an Episcopalian, I wouldn't have dug in to find out stuff like this...
    I'm a bit surprised that this is news to you. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the Episcopalian church was one of the most liberal, if not the most liberal leaning major denomination in the US. After all, John Shelby Spong was an Episcopalian Bishop. Have you ever crossed paths with them doing interdenominational stuff? The Methodists are splitting up for many of the same reasons as are a lot of other Mainline denominations (that's been posted about on this forum quite a bit over the years). In the Anglican church over in England, where the Episcopals came from, there is wide differences in theological beliefs and practices between different churches. You have plenty that are similarly super liberal in their view of Christianity, and then there are some who consider themselves within the Evangelical fold. NT Wright was the Bishop of Durham, and he leans far more conservative theologically (though he has some views on stewardship, treatment of the poor, and evangelism that might see him politically liberal in the eyes of a lot of American Christians).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I've discussed church history enough with you that you're well aware just how inapt your accusation is here. You're not even bothering to pretend to have a reasonable discussion at this point; all you're trying to do is get Cow Poke mad. The rest of your post is simply further attempts at doing the same.

Don't you have anything better to do, like drinking fine whisky and making daisy chains?
    It's just amazingly amusing how hard Tassman is trying to make a practicing homosexual a practicing Christian by any means necessary.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hey CP, not sure if you're aware of this or not, but, while the word "sect" can refer to something like a "cult", it's also often used as a synonym for "denomination". Confusing, I know. I remember as a kid in the 80s that there used to be a lot of parodies on the popular book "The Joy of Sex" called "The Joy of Sects," which was essentially poking fun at all of the different denominations within Christianity.
    Sure, but a major denomination isn't usually referred to as a sect - unless they're somewhat of a cult, so....

I'm a bit surprised that this is news to you. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the Episcopalian church was one of the most liberal, if not the most liberal leaning major denomination in the US. After all, John Shelby Spong was an Episcopalian Bishop. Have you ever crossed paths with them doing interdenominational stuff? The Methodists are splitting up for many of the same reasons as are a lot of other Mainline denominations (that's been posted about on this forum quite a bit over the years). In the Anglican church over in England, where the Episcopals came from, there is wide differences in theological beliefs and practices between different churches. You have plenty that are similarly super liberal in their view of Christianity, and then there are some who consider themselves within the Evangelical fold. NT Wright was the Bishop of Durham, and he leans far more conservative theologically (though he has some views on stewardship, treatment of the poor, and evangelism that might see him politically liberal in the eyes of a lot of American Christians).
    I knew the Episcopalian Church was more liberal, but I had no idea the extent to which the official leadership denigrated the main tenants of Christianity. That was a surprise to me.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Jim, did you miss this post?
    Couldn't tell you what others believe. Some probably agree with and follow christian morality and so consider themselves christian in that respect. I can't tell you what their thinking is. But Buttegieg is a proclaimed Episcopalian, and the Episcopalian church is a Christian church based on a belief in Jesus as Lord and savior. I'll leave the mind reading to you guys!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    So, you disagree with the Episcopalian Church (or at least your quote-mined version of it);...
    I quoted from their own leadership, Tassman. But do continue your twisted spin - it's rather amusing to watch.