Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I think what Cow Poke is saying is that your interpretation of that passage--as either teaching or possibly teaching that one shouldn't even claim Christianity--is very odd.
    Sometimes I think Carpe just spews forth volumes of words to create ambiguity so he can play this childish "that's not what I said" crap.

The man just needs to learn how to say what he means and mean what he says. But, then again, he's a "professional communicator".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think what Cow Poke is saying is that your interpretation of that passage--as either teaching or possibly teaching that one shouldn't even claim Christianity--is very odd.
      Since I never said that or thought that - I have no further response.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Yeah, sure.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Then what did you mean when you said:

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          The discussion I involved myself in was about "practicing Christian," and the suggestion put forward that Buttigieg is not evidencing being a "practicing" Christian (e.g., engaged with his community, attending services, living his Christian faith). I noted that it is possible he is not a "practicing Christian," or it is possible he is adhering to the passage I cited. Knowing what is going on requires knowing the man's heart, so I think folks are over-reaching.
          I don't understand how else to interpret your phrasing of "adhering to the passage," if you aren't claiming that it teaches exactly that.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            The same person who wrote the "ode" to love that you're citing from also said that those that practice homosexuality will not inherit the kingdom of God.
            Tassman cares not about what the author said unless he can pervert it into support for something he champions.

In fact, it's in the very same letter (6:8-10).

Bottom line, the love Paul is talking about is not compatible with the kind of "inclusive, socially active gospel" that Buttigieg (and you) seem to be drawn towards.

Comment

I don't understand how else to interpret your phrasing of "adhering to the passage," if you aren't claiming that it teaches exactly that.
              I think Carpe frequently gets "on a roll" typing words without actually thinking about what he's saying, ends up saying something dumb, and can only respond with a "that's not what I said" type of answer. That's what the really great communicators do!

The New Testament is so full of "come out from among them and be ye separate" and "I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" and "unless you confess me before the world" and "confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus"......

Anybody who can get, from Scripture, that Christians should be quiet about their faith is profoundly ignorant of Scripture. The whole book of Acts is about professing Christ publicly, and fulfills Jesus' prophecy that "you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Amen

Comment

OK to avoid mindreading I will just ask you:

1. We said that Buttigieg didn't make it clear he was a practicing Christian.

2. In response you posted a link to an article.

So... What did you think the message of the article was and what was the message you were trying to convey?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

So... What did you think the message of the article was and what was the message you were trying to convey?
                  http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post642685

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post642553
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• How bout just come out and answer the question and remove the ambiguity?

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      How bout just come out and answer the question and remove the ambiguity?
                      The discussion I involved myself in was about "practicing Christian," and the suggestion put forward that Buttigieg is not evidencing being a "practicing" Christian (e.g., engaged with his community, attending services, living his Christian faith). I noted that it is possible he is not a "practicing Christian," or it is possible he is adhering to the passage I cited. Knowing what is going on requires knowing the man's heart, so I think folks are over-reaching.

Somehow that all became "a good Christian cannot talk about his faith," which is not something I ever said or suggested or thought. Indeed, I don't try to define what a "good Christian" is since I am no longer one.

Comment

Somehow that all became "a good Christian cannot talk about his faith," which is not something I ever said or suggested or thought. Indeed, I don't try to define what a "good Christian" is since I am no longer one.
                        Sheeeeeesh! It's just impossible for you to give a straight answer!

One last time...

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Sheeeeeesh! It's just impossible for you to give a straight answer!

One last time...
                          Sheesh - it's just impossible to get you guys to understand a straight answer. I gave you links to where I had answered this previously. When that produced a complaint, I cut/paste the part of the post that was my response. You need me to come up with brand new words in a brand new order for it to count? What part of this answer is confusing to you?

Comment

Sheesh - it's just impossible to get you guys to understand a straight answer. I gave you links to where I had answered this previously. When that produced a complaint, I cut/paste the part of the post that was my response. You need me to come up with brand new words in a brand new order for it to count? What part of this answer is confusing to you?
                            OK, lemme try again.

The argument by weblink you posted contains a line that says "The passage can be divided easily into its three parts: giving to the needy, prayer, and fasting." Those are three distinct 'practices' which may well be 'secret' for a Christian.

How does that have anything to do with Buttigieg never being on record (as far as we can tell) as identifying as a "practicing Christian", which was what Tassman declared he did.

Comment

I don't know if you missed post #1474, but I'm confused by what I can only see is a disconnect between what you seemed to obviously imply and later denied implying.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• You didn't answer what you think that article was saying. Because your links still leave the impression you think it is saying that Christians shouldn't be public with their faith and that is why Buttigieg hasn't.

I am trying to let you say exactly what you think instead of me "mindreading" you like you always accuse me of. But you seem bent on leaving us with the impression that you think Christians shouldn't be public about their faith, while denying that is what you are saying.

Comment