Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    It isn't important to me that he be recognized as a practicing Christian per se. But it does seem to me this entire line of debate about whether he claims to be a Christian is a petty way to try to discredit him, and I am against lying about people as a means of keeping their views from being heard.
    Who's lying about anything, Jim? That's an underhanded and unjustified charge.

It don't see anything to indicate he is not sincere on this issue.
    Of course you don't. You're busy carrying on the battle against conservatives.

Now if he's for late term abortions then he'd have fight with me if he were debating me.
    IF?!?!?!? You haven't even bothered to check into that????? Granted, he does it in a rather weenie manner.

But at the same time, there are in fact gay people in the episcopal church that practice their faith just as completely as straight members, and there is no reason to call THAT specific aspect of who he is into question just because you don't agree with him on other things.

Jim
    I don't know why you're trying so hard to make this an issue solely about his being gay. That's just batpoop nutty.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Then you sure went on the wrong tack if that is the point. Because I think the fact he sincerely believes himself to be a practicing Christian is self-evident.
      wow - you really are deluded.

And I don't mind being in the 'wrong' company if the point they are making is right. I'll argue what I believe is right regardless. In fact, that is something that is very, very wrong these days. Too many people going along with what is wrong because that's the direction the crowd they normally hang with is headed.

Jim
      Well, your new BFFs are pro-abortion like Buttigieg, so, yeah --- great company!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Who's lying about anything, Jim? That's an underhanded and unjustified charge.

Of course you don't. You're busy carrying on the battle against conservatives.

IF?!?!?!? You haven't even bothered to check into that????? Granted, he does it in a rather weenie manner.

I don't know why you're trying so hard to make this an issue solely about his being gay. That's just batpoop nutty.
        Is your only recourse to legitimate debate ad hominem?

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Too many people going along with what is wrong because that's the direction the crowd they normally hang with is headed.

Jim
          That sounds like a good description of Buttigieg to me.

Comment

wow - you really are deluded.

Well, your new BFFs are pro-abortion like Buttigieg, so, yeah --- great company!
            I'm not debating abortion - if I were they may well disagree with me. I am simply saying that the insinuations Buttigieg's claim to faith is not real are not valid.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Got any evidence that Buttigieg even ATTENDS Church?
              I have no evidence that you even attend church, CP.

Buttigieg is not a "self described Christian" - he's a MEDIA described Christian!
              Not according to your demands he isn't a self described christian, but who cares, everybody else seems to understand that a member of the Episcopalin church considers himself to be a christian.

A) You could always ask CP!
              2) But CP never said he was NOT a "practicing Christian". CP merely lists the available evidence for and against, and has yet to see where Buttigieg himself makes that claim, or shows any 'fruit' of being a practicing Christian.
              Being a member of a christian church is enough evidence that he considers himself to be a christian.
              Question for you, Jimmy --- Why is it so necessary for an anti-Christian bigot like you to declare Buttigieg a Christian?
              Why is it necessary for an anti-athiest bigot like yourself to call non believers bigots. I'm declaring Buttigieg a christian because that is what he claims to be, nothing more.

Comment

While it does seem difficult to find a direct confession of a sort one might expect from a billy graham, buttigieg is episcipalian - and such is not generally their way unless asked directly, not likely in public media. There are a large number of quotes where he references HIS faith and faith tradition and how the Bible guides his thinking.

Since his 'faith tradtion' is documented as Episcipalian, and unless you believe Episcipaliens dont consider themselves to be Christians, then it is simply rhetoric, and a mean rhetoric at that, to claim he secretly doesnt consider himself to be Christian.

To use an oft abused phrase gere on TWEB, by what technique have you acquired these mind reading skills that you know he is engaged in such willful deception?

Jim
                As mentioned before the Anglican Church, which I include the Episcopalian Church as a subset of Anglicans, has a number of members, who are often very active within their local congregation, or who are even ordained ministers who are also avowed atheists (which ticks off people like our own Dr. Glenn Peoples who is very much a Christian and an active member in his Anglican church). They are quite vocal about the fact that they don't believe prayer does anything and they routinely ignore the Bible on things like homosexuality (which tends to make the African Anglican Bishops consider the Episcopalian Church as not being Christian, they have come very close to breaking communion with them which would effectively be the African Anglicans announcing that they consider the Episcopalian Church to be apostate). They also often refer to the faith tradition while excluding the actual faith part.

So even being an active member of an Anglican/Episcopalian church is not in indication of whether or not someone is a Christian. Especially when that person is on record saying prayer does nothing and actively rejects the Bibles teachings on morality.
                Last edited by Raphael; 06-26-2019, 09:18 PM. Reason: fixing typos
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• The only reason I'm even following this thread any more is just to see all the weird and idiosyncratic ways people will come up with to spell episcopal/episcopalian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    The only reason I'm even following this thread any more is just to see all the weird and idiosyncratic ways people will come up with to spell episcopal/episcopalian.

I fixed my typos.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      I fixed my typos.
                      Drat! I should have posted my comment a bit later, so you wouldn't have had time to edit your post.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        I have no evidence that you even attend church, CP.
                        I can clearly give my own testimony that, not only am I a "practicing Christian", I can attest that I almost NEVER miss Church.

Not according to your demands he isn't a self described christian, but who cares, everybody else seems to understand that a member of the Episcopalin church considers himself to be a christian.
                        You have a clear statement from me! That's all we were asking of Buttigieg.

You're really not very good at this.

Being a member of a christian church is enough evidence that he considers himself to be a christian.
                        A) That's just dumb
                        2) There's no evidence that Buttigieg is a member of that Church.

Why is it necessary for an anti-athiest bigot...
                        I had to laugh at that one --- you get even dumber all the time.

Comment

I'm not debating abortion - if I were they may well disagree with me. I am simply saying that the insinuations Buttigieg's claim to faith is not real are not valid.
                          Has he even made a claim to faith?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The only reason I'm even following this thread any more is just to see all the weird and idiosyncratic ways people will come up with to spell episcopal/episcopalian.

Yep, sorry about that. The mobile form for tweb on my phone has a very nasty habit of turning edit into delete, so I tend to just leave as is unless it is really bad.

Jim

Comment

Drat! I should have posted my comment a bit later, so you wouldn't have had time to edit your post.
                              I just fixed more typos

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

What is this "time to edit your post" thing of which you speak?
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment