Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    In my experience, it is when I am most congratulating myself on not being subject to confirmation bias that I am most likely to find that I am subject to confirmation bias.

Just sayin...
    Glad you realize your shortcomings...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Glad you realize your shortcomings...
      My wife would have it no other way...

But I am under no illusion that I realize all of my shortcomings. I'm sure I have many I am still blind to.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

My favorite is "to be frank..."

Its especially funny when spoken by a woman...
        To which the reply is "OK, you be Frank and I'll be Earnest!"
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          To which the reply is "OK, you be Frank and I'll be Earnest!"
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think we would discover two basic categories...

A) Those who agreed that their interpretations may be based on their own pre-existing ideas and priorities, and
            2) Those who were not honest (or aware) enough to realize that their interpretations may be based on their own pre-existing ideas and priorities

It just dawned on me...doesn't that mean Seer just confessed to being a member of #2?

Shhh...don't tell him. It would destroy the illusion....

Comment

My wife would have it no other way...

But I am under no illusion that I realize all of my shortcomings. I'm sure I have many I am still blind to.
              See I have no wife to undermine my obvious perfection!
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

It just dawned on me...doesn't that mean Seer just confessed to being a member of #2?
                Really though someone would have to actually show me where my understanding of scripture is off. I'm always willing to listen to a better studied more mature Christian on these things. I have been corrected many times over the years.

Comment

See I have no wife to undermine my obvious perfection!
                  I think the word you were searching for was "odious." And as for "perfection"...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I think the word you were searching for was "odious." And as for "perfection"...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36551[/ATTACH]
                    Envy is a sin rogue bro....

Comment

In my experience, it is when I am most congratulating myself on not being subject to confirmation bias that I am most likely to find that I am subject to confirmation bias.

Just sayin...
                      Pffft. That's nothing but a right wing meme

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Envy is a sin rogue bro....
                        Don't you first need something to be envious about?

Comment

Don't you first need something to be envious about?
                          Don't worry bro, we still like you, in spite of your cognitive deficiency...

Comment

Don't worry bro, we still like you, in spite of your cognitive deficiency...
                            I'll take that as a no.

Comment

I'll take that as a no.
                              We both know the truth! Just embrace it!

Comment

Really though someone would have to actually show me where my understanding of scripture is off. I'm always willing to listen to a better studied more mature Christian on these things. I have been corrected many times over the years.
                                Yeah...well...that's pretty much the problem, right? Your understanding is based on your interpretation and you're turning to others who think like you to affirm (or perhaps slightly tweak) your interpretation. And all of those interpretations are of a set of books for which we have no original copies (if memory serves, the first full copy of the NT we have is a codex from the 4th century that is actually a translation of the original texts), little firm knowledge of authorship, and they were written in another time, another culture, and another language. And from this we get to "absolute" truth?

Without a great deal of circular and/or magical thinking, I don't see how that case can be made. It's the basic reason I don't base my life/beliefs on a book - or collection of books.

Comment