Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    He kinda reminds me of the Boy Mayor of Cleveland, Ohio - Dennis John Kucinich (former U.S. Representative from Ohio, serving from 1997 to 2013, he was also a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States in the 2004 and 2008 Presidential elections -- source)
    I always like Kucinich, pretty rational for a Dem...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      I always like Kucinich, pretty rational for a Dem...
      I lived in Ohio back in the late 70's, when a snowstorm caught Cleveland by surprise, and totally shut down the airport for several days. The snow removal response was ridiculously inept, so the standing joke was....

"Mayor Kucinich has announced a new emergency snow removal program -- it's called 'Spring'".

But, yeah, he wasn't nearly the liberal pinko commie his detractors made him out to be.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-23-2019, 03:04 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I threw that in there for fun, cause little Jimmy dirties his britches about me "waiting for the facts".
        That was one of Jorge's favorite tricks. Always solemnly demanding that everyone wait until all the facts were known before commenting on a story that he didn't like but immediately and gleefully jumping in with both feet to comment on a breaking story that he thought could benefit him and what he believed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't remember where I saw it, but the Dems were discussing the need to adjust their criteria for "who gets to debate". They're worried, however, that they might be accused of "rigging the system" (like they allegedly did with Hillary/Bernie).
          They're going to be accused of "rigging the system" whatever they do - and the accusations will come from both sides of the political aisle.

That's my prediction...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            They're going to be accused of "rigging the system" whatever they do - and the accusations will come from both sides of the political aisle.

That's my prediction...
            Well, we'll just have to wait and see until ALL the facts are in!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, we'll just have to wait and see until ALL the facts are in!
              Now THAT would be original....
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Oops...

Your profile clearly says "male." I have no idea why I have always "seen" you as female.

Mental adjustment made - with apologies.

I tip my hat... sir....
                Well, I do love cats. (Also dogs, but frankly they are too much work.)

And I advocate for the egalitarian (as opposed to patriarchal) interpretation of NT doctrine and practice. (Although I've noticed that some of the most ardent proponents of the patriarchal -- or "complementarian" -- view are women, so...)

Anyway, no prob.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I have to admit that I have been wondering pretty much the same thing. If he does climb to the top of the pack without addressing this, I think Trump is going to bury him.
                  After he shoots him dead on Fifth Ave. in broad daylight.

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I think that statement is far too broad or sweeping. As with people today, people of that day had education levels across the board - and superstition was also widely varied. Yes, there were things we discovered through science and scientific approaches that those people did not have access to, but then that is also true about us in relation to future generations. The assumption that the people of that age were uneducated and superstitious to any degree higher or lower than people today does not seem to me to be warranted.
                    Why do you think then that they sacrificed animals, believing that a god wanted this done, and that doing so actually appeased him in some way?

Comment

Thanks, Tass, I really need a laugh this morning. And I'm actually pretty nice to most non-theists. It's just you and your smarter brother, JimL, for whom I feel no love.
                      But Pastor, Jesus said “I tell you, love your enemies…”

The Southern Baptist Convention as a body had no policy or teaching or doctrine that justified slavery. If it did, you should produce it.
                      And yet the Southern Baptist Convention did justify slavery. Interestingly, you snipped the link I provided. Either, its promotion of slavery was scripturally based OR the SBC acted in defiance of scripture. Which was it, Pastor?

That's called an opinion, Tass - try producing some facts. Like an actual statement or doctrine or teaching of the SBC. Remember, your original claim was that the SBC excused slavery with their interpretation of scripture. You have yet to demonstrate that.
                      See above.

Again, my overall argument, of which the SBC attitude towards slavery is a case in point, is that Christians have a long history of interpreting scripture to accommodate the social values of the day. This has included the role of women in the past. And currently LGBT rights, which are coming into focus because of Buttigieg‘s overt homosexuality.

But, count your blessings CP, at least it gives you something to hate.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Why do you think then that they sacrificed animals, believing that a god wanted this done, and that doing so actually appeased him in some way?
                        Was it ever. The ancient temple in Jerusalem was more like a combination of a slaughterhouse and BBQ joint, with blood everywhere and redolent with the smell of cooking meat, than a modern place of worship. But it kept God happy apparently.
                        Last edited by Tassman; 04-24-2019, 12:55 AM.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I think that statement is far too broad or sweeping. As with people today, people of that day had education levels across the board - and superstition was also widely varied. Yes, there were things we discovered through science and scientific approaches that those people did not have access to, but then that is also true about us in relation to future generations. The assumption that the people of that age were uneducated and superstitious to any degree higher or lower than people today does not seem to me to be warranted.
                          やっぱり
                          In September 2008, The Wall Street Journal reported: "A comprehensive new study released by Baylor University yesterday, shows ...that the irreligious and the members of more liberal Protestant denominations, far from being resistant to superstition, tend to be much more likely to believe in the paranormal and in pseudoscience than evangelical Christians.
                          Last edited by tabibito; 04-24-2019, 03:23 AM.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            But Pastor, Jesus said “I tell you, love your enemies…”
                            I love you just enough to get to heaven.

And yet the Southern Baptist Convention did justify slavery. Interestingly, you snipped the link I provided. Either, its promotion of slavery was scripturally based OR the SBC acted in defiance of scripture. Which was it, Pastor?
                            You have yet to show where the SBC had any kind of official teaching or doctrine or policy on slavery based on a scriptural position. Let's go back to that. You seem to forget that that was your premise.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              After he shoots him dead on Fifth Ave. in broad daylight.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                I think that was part of their religious belief, just as most of the population of the planet has religious beliefs today. I don't think Seer or CP or Sparko are "superstitious" because they happen to believe in a god-centered universe. "Superstitious" is defined as "having or showing belief in superstitions." Superstitions is defined as "excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings." It's not a particularly helpful definition, and could cover anything from a general belief that a conscious force created all that is to a belief that stepping on a crack will actually break your mother's back. If you accept "superstitious" by its widest definition, then some 90+% of the current population is superstitious." It would seem the same was true back then. Modern Catholics believe that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are transubstantiated into the body and blood of Jesus - which suggests they are then engaging in (ritual? actual?) cannibalism.

I think you would have a hard time making the case that there is more or less superstition in any particular age.

Comment