Page 126 of 205 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 2042

Thread: Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I guess you missed the whole #metoo thing.

I bet a bunch of people in Hollywood wished they had lived by Pence's rule.
    A bunch of people should have kept their hands (and words) to themselves.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    A bunch of people should have kept their hands (and words) to themselves.
    And if those men did keep their hands to themselves and followed Pence's rule they would still have their jobs.

...And I guess you never heard of any false accusations of sexual harassment and rape before either? I am sure Rogue will be along shortly and repost his list of them for you if you haven't.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    What is "batpoopcrazy," IMO, is a grown man altering his behavior based on the gender of the other person to avoid the "appearance of impropriety." It suggests that a woman is simply viewed (by him or by other people) as a "potential sex partner," rather than a fellow human being with a mind and a personality and things to offer. If this were not the issue, then the same rule would apply for solo meetings with men. IMO, it's sexist and juvenile, or seriously paranoid.
    Yeah, thanks.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And if those men did keep their hands to themselves and followed Pence's rule they would still have their jobs.

...And I guess you never heard of any false accusations of sexual harassment and rape before either? I am sure Rogue will be along shortly and repost his list of them for you if you haven't.
    As I have stated earlier, the ONLY time I've ever had a complaint about my observance of "the Billy Graham rule" was by a woman who tried to have a meeting with me after Church on a Wednesday night, when she and I were the only two people in the building. I declined the meeting, and suggested she stop by in the morning. She tried to make an issue of this, complaining to our Deacons. One of them happened to know that this very same woman had had an affair with a married minister in our community in his office at night. She became his second wife, and he became her third husband. He's not her current husband.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've seen some recent photos of Keanu Reeves standing for photos with female fans, and while he has his arm around them, you can clearly see him keeping his hand from any actual physical contact.

I wonder if this, too, would be seen as simply objectifying them.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think it's a generally wise rule but personally think it's good to be willing to make reasonable exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Once, my wife asked me to pick up another woman in our church from the hospital to take her home, since there was nobody else available to drive that morning. I think refusing on the basis of the Billy Graham rule and leaving her stranded there would have been unloving (not to mention silly since it was my own wife asking me to do it!)
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

7. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think it's a generally wise rule but personally think it's good to be willing to make reasonable exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Once, my wife asked me to pick up another woman in our church from the hospital to take her home, since there was nobody else available to drive that morning. I think refusing on the basis of the Billy Graham rule and leaving her stranded there would have been unloving (not to mention silly since it was my own wife asking me to do it!)
    I think a case like that would be a perfectly reasonable exception to the rule.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Not sure if I have that list but could whip one up easy enough.

Anywho... It just seems strange that those on the left have so many objections to "the Billy Graham Rule." It's almost like they're mad that the majority of those ensnared in the #MeToo movement were prominent liberals and want conservative men to put themselves into potentially compromising situations so they can face more accusations

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I've seen some recent photos of Keanu Reeves standing for photos with female fans, and while he has his arm around them, you can clearly see him keeping his hand from any actual physical contact.

I wonder if this, too, would be seen as simply objectifying them.
    Yeah it seems upside down. By making sure they keep their distance and NOT grope women, men are disrespecting them?

I guess that means Joe Biden is showing his respect by smelling their hair and giving them shoulder rubs then.
    Last edited by Sparko; 06-14-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Yes, there will be exceptions, which is why it might be called a "rule" as opposed to a "law".

12. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.