Page 91 of 205 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    the Episcopalian church is a Christian church based on a belief in Jesus as Lord and savior.
    CP just established that they refused to affirm just that. Are you a moron?
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Sure, but a major denomination isn't usually referred to as a sect - unless they're somewhat of a cult, so....
    CP, they are all cults. A religion is just an old cult and a cult is just a new religion. You are just an old cult member, as well as being a member of an old cult.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    CP just established that they refused to affirm just that. Are you a moron?
    CP didn't establish any such thing, raca.
    Last edited by JimL; 05-24-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Couldn't tell you what others believe. Some probably agree with and follow christian morality and so consider themselves christian in that respect. I can't tell you what their thinking is. But Buttegieg is a proclaimed Episcopalian, and the Episcopalian church is a Christian church based on a belief in Jesus as Lord and savior. I'll leave the mind reading to you guys!
    I think there's some sort of miscommunication here. I'm not asking you what others believe, I'm telling you what they believe per their own self-identification, and then asking you what you believe.

I also have no idea what you're talking about per mind reading.

Anyhow, you said earlier that "believing Jesus is god and savior does" make one a Christian. But there are examples of people who do not believe that Jesus is God and savior, and also claim they are Christian. Do you believe that those people are also Christians?

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I think there's some sort of miscommunication here. I'm not asking you what others believe, I'm telling you what they believe per their own self-identification, and then asking you what you believe.

I also have no idea what you're talking about per mind reading.

Anyhow, you said earlier that "believing Jesus is god and savior does" make one a Christian. But there are examples of people who do not believe that Jesus is God and savior, and also claim they are Christian. Do you believe that those people are also Christians?
    No, they are not Christians, but perhaps what they mean is that they have the same principles as christendom. How the hell do I know and why should I care?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    CP, they are all cults. A religion is just an old cult and a cult is just a new religion. You are just an old cult member, as well as being a member of an old cult.
    Do you have fever with these fits?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No, they are not Christians, but perhaps what they mean is that they have the same principles as christendom. How the hell do I know and why should I care?
    Yet, here you are, spewing forth your ignorance.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    CP didn't establish any such thing, raca.
    I quoted from their leadership in their annual meeting - that's far more official than some anti-Christian troll on a website, Jimmy.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sure, but a major denomination isn't usually referred to as a sect - unless they're somewhat of a cult, so....
    Hmm. While I agree the word "sect" is most often used of small splinter groups or cults, it's very often used to indicate a denomination in general. So, for instance, a "sectarian university" is synonymous with a denominational or religious university, whereas a nonsectarian university is one that's secular or non-religious. Or, for example, this article from Truth Magazine claims that most "Baptist sects" are okay with mechanical instruments, but they're not referring to heretical splinters or cults, but to different Baptist groups in general. You can see another example here on this educational website. In referring to Protestant Sects, they name Baptists, Methodists, and Lutherans. I'm not sure how common the word "sect" is used in this way, but I'm assuming that's how JimL was using it, and I've seen it often enough.

I knew the Episcopalian Church was more liberal, but I had no idea the extent to which the official leadership denigrated the main tenants of Christianity. That was a surprise to me.
    Oh yes. I think there's been a number of threads about this right here on Theologyweb. A number of Episcopalian Bishops have openly stated that they don't believe in God or are agnostic about his existence.

11. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Hmm. While I agree the word "sect" is most often used of small splinter groups or cults, it's very often used to indicate a denomination in general. So, for instance, a "sectarian university" is synonymous with a denominational or religious university, whereas a nonsectarian university is one that's secular or non-religious. Or, for example, this article from Truth Magazine claims that most "Baptist sects" are okay with mechanical instruments, but they're not referring to heretical splinters or cults, but to different Baptist groups in general. You can see another example here on this educational website. In referring to Protestant Sects, they name Baptists, Methodists, and Lutherans. I'm not sure how common the word "sect" is used in this way, but I'm assuming that's how JimL was using it.
    I appreciate the info, and I've already conceded that "sect" is not such an odd way to refer to the Episcopalian Church, given statements from their leadership.

Oh yes. I think there's been a number of threads about this right here on Theologyweb. A number of Episcopalian Bishops have openly stated that they don't believe in God or are agnostic about his existence.
    My rather myopic experience with the Episcopal Church has always been that they're basically a bunch of old hippies, harmlessly singing to guitar music, and operating more as a social club. I was hoping that wasn't representative of the denomination as a whole, so, yeah - this has been rather eye-opening. I was expecially surprised by the statements of their top leadership at annual meetings.

Have I mentioned I'm REALLY glad to see you around again?

13. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.