Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Long ago I was given the sage advice - "if you're looking for the perfect church, and you find it, don't join it, cause you'll ruin it".

But, yeah, we had built an entire college ministry on the concept "you don't have to be Baptist to be here", and had a Sunday School class and Preaching Service of 125 College Kids. (I was the college minister) When we got a new pastor, his very first sermon to the college preaching service was all about "I have a little B on every bone in my body - I am a Baptist through and through -- if you're not a Baptist, you need to......"

I was stunned. I kept thinking he was being facetious or trying to make some point, and would come around to "you are accepted!" - but he didn't.

The next Sunday, we had 12-13 college kids show up, look around, and leave. He managed to kill 4 years of building a college ministry with ONE incredibly divisive sermon.
    Wow. Yeah, last time I went to a Baptist church it was a Full Baptist one in Germany, and while the service was a little over the top for me, they were great people, very loving, and welcomed people in without question. The best churches I've been to never mention their denomination. We're Christians, and that's what's important.

Comment

Wait! It's FRIDAY - so no MEAT, right?

I mean, it's a good friday, but it's not Good Friday. We better have meat, or else I'm going to have twice the beer.

Comment

Wait! It's FRIDAY - so no MEAT, right?

You're just trying to make me sin, aren't you?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Wow. Yeah, last time I went to a Baptist church it was a Full Baptist one in Germany, and while the service was a little over the top for me, they were great people, very loving, and welcomed people in without question. The best churches I've been to never mention their denomination. We're Christians, and that's what's important.
          Since I had been telling college kids "you don't need to be Baptist to be here", it occurred to me one time to ask our Sunday Night college gathering* (about 60-70 kids) "just out of curiosity, how many of you are Baptist?" Only about a dozen hands went up. Then I went through some other denominations, and even "unchurched", and was pretty pleased that we had a good variety of both "other denominations" and none at all.

*when I found our that the "room and board" plan at the college included ALL MEALS EXCEPT SUNDAY EVENING, we started providing a "Free Sunday Night Meal" at our church
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            You're just trying to make me sin, aren't you?
            I used to hold a grudge against the Catholics because, on Fridays, our school cafeteria served NO MEAT - but then they started serving a really AWESOME cheese pizza every Friday with some of the best french fries!!!!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

*when I found our that the "room and board" plan at the college included ALL MEALS EXCEPT SUNDAY EVENING, we started providing a "Free Sunday Night Meal" at our church
              Pretty smart.

Food and Baptists.

Comment

I used to hold a grudge against the Catholics because, on Fridays, our school cafeteria served NO MEAT - but then they started serving a really AWESOME cheese pizza every Friday with some of the best french fries!!!!
                I'm gonna have some nice black bean burgers tonight.

Fasting for no reason but to do it would be Pharisaical. I should keep it in mind more often that we fast on Wednesdays and Fridays in conscious rejection of the greed of Judas Iscariot and in remembrance of the cross of Christ (who gave up rather more than meat).
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Long ago I was given the sage advice - "if you're looking for the perfect church, and you find it, don't join it, cause you'll ruin it".

But, yeah, we had built an entire college ministry on the concept "you don't have to be Baptist to be here", and had a Sunday School class and Preaching Service of 125 College Kids. (I was the college minister) When we got a new pastor, his very first sermon to the college preaching service was all about "I have a little B on every bone in my body - I am a Baptist through and through -- if you're not a Baptist, you need to......"

I was stunned. I kept thinking he was being facetious or trying to make some point, and would come around to "you are accepted!" - but he didn't.

The next Sunday, we had 12-13 college kids show up, look around, and leave. He managed to kill 4 years of building a college ministry with ONE incredibly divisive sermon.
                  Reminds me a bit of a guest speaker we had at my church a year or two ago who went way over the time our service normally ends, and when he noticed people starting to fidget and check their watches, he became angry and said something like, "If you don't want to be here then just leave! I dare you, get up and walk out! But you might miss out on something that God has to tell you!" and all I could think was, "You haven't read from the Bible in the last 40-minutes, so don't tell us you're speaking for God!" As much as I wanted to walk out, I didn't because it would have been unnecessarily disruptive and potentially misinterpreted by others -- and who knows, there might have been someone there who really did need to hear the message.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I've heard some very good arguments that denominations are unbiblical because of the way they promote division in the body of believers.

1 Corinthians 3:

For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not being merely human?

What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God’s fellow workers. You are God’s field, God’s building.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I've heard some very good arguments that denominations are unbiblical because of the way they promote division in the body of believers.

1 Corinthians 3:

For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not being merely human?

What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God’s fellow workers. You are God’s field, God’s building.
                      The reason Protestants have denominations in the first place is because Luther, et al. could never find sufficient agreement to unite. I'm not sure the solution is for every congregation to be independent.

sigpic

Comment

1 Corinthians 3:

Or maybe it is a matter of saying you're not a Christian because your head of denomination isn't the same as my head of denomination. It wouldn't be the same as, say, an Anglican spending time helping Baptists out in their "English for Foreign Speakers" classes. It would be the same if the Anglican started poaching.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I mean, it's a good friday, but it's not Good Friday. We better have meat, or else I'm going to have twice the beer.
                          You sound like it's an either/or situation.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I'm gonna have some nice black bean burgers tonight.

Fasting for no reason but to do it would be Pharisaical. I should keep it in mind more often that we fast on Wednesdays and Fridays in conscious rejection of the greed of Judas Iscariot and in remembrance of the cross of Christ (who gave up rather more than meat).
                            I had to attend an appreciate dinner for the Police Chaplain this afternoon, where there was a wide range of BBQ ribs, brisket, sausage, chicken... it would have been crass to refuse to partake of the bounty.

Comment

Reminds me a bit of a guest speaker we had at my church a year or two ago who went way over the time our service normally ends, and when he noticed people starting to fidget and check their watches, he became angry and said something like, "If you don't want to be here then just leave! I dare you, get up and walk out! But you might miss out on something that God has to tell you!" and all I could think was, "You haven't read from the Bible in the last 40-minutes, so don't tell us you're speaking for God!" As much as I wanted to walk out, I didn't because it would have been unnecessarily disruptive and potentially misinterpreted by others -- and who knows, there might have been someone there who really did need to hear the message.
                              It's kinda like when there might be a low attendance on a Sunday Morning, and the preacher launches into a diatribe on the size of the crowd --- and I would think "Don't yell at ME, I'M HERE!!!!"

Comment

It's kinda like when there might be a low attendance on a Sunday Morning, and the preacher launches into a diatribe on the size of the crowd --- and I would think "Don't yell at ME, I'M HERE!!!!"
                                Sorta kinda preaching to the choir so to speak.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment