Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    the Episcopalian church is a Christian church based on a belief in Jesus as Lord and savior.
    CP just established that they refused to affirm just that. Are you a moron?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Sure, but a major denomination isn't usually referred to as a sect - unless they're somewhat of a cult, so....
      CP, they are all cults. A religion is just an old cult and a cult is just a new religion. You are just an old cult member, as well as being a member of an old cult.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        CP just established that they refused to affirm just that. Are you a moron?
        CP didn't establish any such thing, raca.
        Last edited by JimL; 05-24-2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Couldn't tell you what others believe. Some probably agree with and follow christian morality and so consider themselves christian in that respect. I can't tell you what their thinking is. But Buttegieg is a proclaimed Episcopalian, and the Episcopalian church is a Christian church based on a belief in Jesus as Lord and savior. I'll leave the mind reading to you guys!
          I think there's some sort of miscommunication here. I'm not asking you what others believe, I'm telling you what they believe per their own self-identification, and then asking you what you believe.

I also have no idea what you're talking about per mind reading.

Anyhow, you said earlier that "believing Jesus is god and savior does" make one a Christian. But there are examples of people who do not believe that Jesus is God and savior, and also claim they are Christian. Do you believe that those people are also Christians?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I think there's some sort of miscommunication here. I'm not asking you what others believe, I'm telling you what they believe per their own self-identification, and then asking you what you believe.

I also have no idea what you're talking about per mind reading.

Anyhow, you said earlier that "believing Jesus is god and savior does" make one a Christian. But there are examples of people who do not believe that Jesus is God and savior, and also claim they are Christian. Do you believe that those people are also Christians?
            No, they are not Christians, but perhaps what they mean is that they have the same principles as christendom. How the hell do I know and why should I care?

Comment

CP, they are all cults. A religion is just an old cult and a cult is just a new religion. You are just an old cult member, as well as being a member of an old cult.
              Do you have fever with these fits?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, they are not Christians, but perhaps what they mean is that they have the same principles as christendom. How the hell do I know and why should I care?
                Yet, here you are, spewing forth your ignorance.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

CP didn't establish any such thing, raca.
                  I quoted from their leadership in their annual meeting - that's far more official than some anti-Christian troll on a website, Jimmy.

Comment

Sure, but a major denomination isn't usually referred to as a sect - unless they're somewhat of a cult, so....
                    Hmm. While I agree the word "sect" is most often used of small splinter groups or cults, it's very often used to indicate a denomination in general. So, for instance, a "sectarian university" is synonymous with a denominational or religious university, whereas a nonsectarian university is one that's secular or non-religious. Or, for example, this article from Truth Magazine claims that most "Baptist sects" are okay with mechanical instruments, but they're not referring to heretical splinters or cults, but to different Baptist groups in general. You can see another example here on this educational website. In referring to Protestant Sects, they name Baptists, Methodists, and Lutherans. I'm not sure how common the word "sect" is used in this way, but I'm assuming that's how JimL was using it, and I've seen it often enough.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I knew the Episcopalian Church was more liberal, but I had no idea the extent to which the official leadership denigrated the main tenants of Christianity. That was a surprise to me.
                    Oh yes. I think there's been a number of threads about this right here on Theologyweb. A number of Episcopalian Bishops have openly stated that they don't believe in God or are agnostic about his existence.

Comment

Hmm. While I agree the word "sect" is most often used of small splinter groups or cults, it's very often used to indicate a denomination in general. So, for instance, a "sectarian university" is synonymous with a denominational or religious university, whereas a nonsectarian university is one that's secular or non-religious. Or, for example, this article from Truth Magazine claims that most "Baptist sects" are okay with mechanical instruments, but they're not referring to heretical splinters or cults, but to different Baptist groups in general. You can see another example here on this educational website. In referring to Protestant Sects, they name Baptists, Methodists, and Lutherans. I'm not sure how common the word "sect" is used in this way, but I'm assuming that's how JimL was using it.
                      I appreciate the info, and I've already conceded that "sect" is not such an odd way to refer to the Episcopalian Church, given statements from their leadership.

Oh yes. I think there's been a number of threads about this right here on Theologyweb. A number of Episcopalian Bishops have openly stated that they don't believe in God or are agnostic about his existence.
                      My rather myopic experience with the Episcopal Church has always been that they're basically a bunch of old hippies, harmlessly singing to guitar music, and operating more as a social club. I was hoping that wasn't representative of the denomination as a whole, so, yeah - this has been rather eye-opening. I was expecially surprised by the statements of their top leadership at annual meetings.

Have I mentioned I'm REALLY glad to see you around again?

Comment

My rather myopic experience with the Episcopal Church has always been that they're basically a bunch of old hippies, harmlessly singing to guitar music, and operating more as a social club. I was hoping that wasn't representative of the denomination as a whole, so, yeah - this has been rather eye-opening. I was expecially surprised by the statements of their top leadership at annual meetings.
                        It's not really representative of the denomination as a whole, although statements like those are driving it that way as conservative elements give up in disgust and go elsewhere.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No, they are not Christians,
                          Ok, thank you for clarifying.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          but perhaps what they mean is that they have the same principles as christendom.
                          If you're familiar with their writings, you'll see that they don't, or at least, that they go far beyond that. They do, in fact, believe they are Christians, even though they do not believe in God or that Jesus is Lord.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          How the hell do I know and why should I care?

Identifying who you, a skeptic, believes is and is not a Christian, regardless or in deference to their claim, seems pertinent if you're attempting to convince conventional Christians what makes a Christian. You assert that some people are Christian, even when conventional Christians disagree. You say others are not Christians even when those others self-identify as such. I think that's interesting, and definitely relevant to the discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            It's not really representative of the denomination as a whole, although statements like those are driving it that way as conservative elements give up in disgust and go elsewhere.
                            In one of the articles, it stated that there were 6 major bishops wanting to pull out, along with their associated churches, and were appealing to the Church of England (?) for permission to leave?

Comment

Have I mentioned I'm REALLY glad to see you around again?
                              Good to see you too buddy! I hope I didn't come off as pestering. Just throwing out some observations.

Comment

Good to see you too buddy! I hope I didn't come off as pestering. Just throwing out some observations.
                                No, not at all --- Like Cosby used to say "and if you're not careful, you might learn something!"

Comment