Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke
    A) I will actually TELL you I'm a Christian - Buttigieg doesn't appear to be so forthcoming
    2) I actually belong to a Church that clearly acknowledges the Bible as the Word of God, God as Creator, Jesus as Savior, Salvation by Grace...
    C) When I tell you I'm a PRACTICING Christian, I can actually list my practices
    4) I have never made a conscious decision as a practicing Christian to live a life in direct violation of God's Word

So, when I tell you I'm a Christian, it's not because I belong to a particular Church - it's because I know Christ as my Savior, and try to follow Him and His teachings.

At this point, Jimmy, you're just proving what a profoundly ignorant ass you are.
    Sorry, stated that incorrectly. When you tell us you believe in god and that you are a member of a christian church, we shouldn't assume that what you mean by that is that you are a christian?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Sorry, stated that incorrectly. When you tell us you believe in god and that you are a member of a christian church, we shouldn't assume that what you mean by that is that you are a christian?
      Ah, I see your backtracking on your jackassery!!!!

A) I will actually TELL you I'm a Christian - Buttigieg doesn't appear to be so forthcoming - he's much more focused on his homosexuality and his extremist pro-abortion views

2) I actually belong to a Church that clearly acknowledges the Bible as the Word of God, God as Creator, Jesus as Savior, Salvation by Grace... Buttigieg doesn't even appear to claim to belong to the Episcopal Church - his words were actually "I found myself going to services at Christ Church, which happened to be across from my college, Pembroke, at Oxford and found in that very simple liturgy a way to begin to organize my spirituality. So that by the time I came back to the US I felt like I was more-or-less Anglican". You see that bolded part, Jimmy? And his Church, where he's "more-or-less Anglican" can't even declare that Christ is Lord.

C) When I tell you I'm a PRACTICING Christian, I can actually list my practices - Buttigieg doesn't.

4) I have never made a conscious decision as a practicing Christian to live a life in direct violation of God's Word - Buttigieg has and does.

So, when I tell you I'm a Christian, it's not because I belong to a particular Church - it's because I know Christ as my Savior, and try to follow Him and His teachings - Buttigieg appears to make no such claim.

At this point, Jimmy, you're just proving what a profoundly ignorant ass you are.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Buttigieg claims to be Episcopalian, and he credits god for his sexual orientation. That is a person who believes in god, a creator, and who is a member of a christian church. give it up, CP.
        It's possible you have a legitimate point here. The other long post you made a brief response to alleges that Buttigieg is an Episcopalian. I have yet to see, from his mouth that he actually is - only that he became fascinated by an Episcopalian church near him. Is he still going there? Did he actually join the church? I don't know. What we're looking for here is proof - from Buttigieg's mouth - that he is a practicing Christian (yes, "practicing Episcopalian" would meet that).
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          It's possible you have a legitimate point here. The other long post you made a brief response to alleges that Buttigieg is an Episcopalian. I have yet to see, from his mouth that he actually is - only that he became fascinated by an Episcopalian church near him. Is he still going there? Did he actually join the church? I don't know. What we're looking for here is proof - from Buttigieg's mouth - that he is a practicing Christian (yes, "practicing Episcopalian" would meet that).
          Even though "Episcopalian" doesn't seem to mean a whole lot these days with regards to what Christians actually believe, and that would be a really low bar, I'll go along with this challenge.

Somebody needs to produce evidence that Pete Buttigieg claims to be a practicing Christian, and "practicing Episcopalian" will be acceptable for that purpose.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Sure - but when a person never claims to be a Christian in the first place, and chooses a lifestyle that places themselves in direct violation of the teachings of the Bible...
            That's your opinion. Buttigieg disagrees. He belongs to a denomination that consecrated a gay man as as a bishop, Gene Robinson. So you are judging him by your own standards not the standards of the Episcopal Church.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The desperation with which you, an anti-Christian drama queen, attempt to paint a practicing homosexual as a "practicing Christian" is amusing.
              You haven't managed to "paint" a rebuttal...merely resort to your usual tiresome epithets.

It’s pretty clear that Buttigieg vies himself as a Christian and an Episcopalian:

“When I got back to South Bend and was looking for a church home, I found in (the Episcopal Cathedral of) St. James this faith community that really takes seriously that it's urban, that it's part of a city. And just very quickly felt drawn to that community. And now for about 10 years it's been my faith home. So, it was important for me to be married in the church. And when Chasten and I go together I think it brings us closer together. It was a mix of faith but also of community that really made it the right place to be. And, of course, the fact that we were welcome”.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/02/o...eck/index.html

Only a nit-picking Evangelical like you would demand the actual words: “I am a practicing Christian”. All you are doing, over and over again, is to repeat your arrogant: “I’m right and he’s wrong”.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                That's your opinion. Buttigieg disagrees.
                Prove it.

He belongs to a denomination that consecrated a gay man as as a bishop, Gene Robinson.
                You don't actually know that he joined the Episcopal Church at all, Tassy.

So you are judging him by your own standards not the standards of the Episcopal Church.
                You really are a slippery one. Are you SURE you're not a used car salesman?

Comment

You haven't managed to "paint" a rebuttal...merely resort to your usual tiresome epithets.
                  This is the kind of crap you post when you "got nothing".

It’s pretty clear that Buttigieg vies himself as a Christian and an Episcopalian:

“When I got back to South Bend and was looking for a church home, I found in (the Episcopal Cathedral of) St. James this faith community that really takes seriously that it's urban, that it's part of a city. And just very quickly felt drawn to that community. And now for about 10 years it's been my faith home. So, it was important for me to be married in the church. And when Chasten and I go together I think it brings us closer together. It was a mix of faith but also of community that really made it the right place to be. And, of course, the fact that we were welcome”.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/02/o...eck/index.html

Only a nit-picking Evangelical like you would demand the actual words: “I am a practicing Christian”. All you are doing, over and over again, is to repeat your arrogant: “I’m right and he’s wrong”.
                  Tassy, honey, YOU are the one who declared over and over and over that HE claimed he was a practicing Christian. All I'm doing is asking you to back it up with FACT instead of drama queen bluster!

Here, let's look at some of your own claims.... First all that unsubstantiated crap about how Buttigieg interprets scripture....
                  Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  I didn't say it did. But obviously Buttigieg’s interpretation of scripture is different to yours and without an infallible authority to determine which is the one true, correct interpretation, his is just as valid as yours.
                  The point is that Buttigieg’s interpretation of scripture is demonstrably different than yours. Neither is necessarily the “correct or better or right or true” answer.
                  You believe your opinion is the “correct or better or right or true” interpretation of scripture, Buttigieg presumably believes the same of his interpretation.
                  My argument was that the interpretation of scripture varies e.g. the likes of Buttigieg, as a practicing Christian, interprets scripture in such a way that homosexuality is OK with a loving God.
                  The likes of Mayor Pete seem to sincerely believe they are good Christians and obviously disagree with your interpretation of these texts. Always a problem when one interpretation of scriptural beliefs contradicts another interpretation of scriptural beliefs.

Then your unsubstantiated claim that Buttigieg claims he's a Christian...

Buttigieg claims he’s a Christian and the majority of US Christians believe that a loving God accepts homosexuality, according to Pew Research.
                  Then you're doubling down on claiming that he interprets scripture differently, when there's no proof of that whatsoever.

Again: “Buttigieg clearly views scripture differently from those who want to condemn homosexuality,...
                  Then you claim you don't care if he's a "practicing Christian", and, again you make the unsubstantiated statement that he claims he is...

I could ot care less whether or not Buttigieg is a “practicing Christian”. But he claims to be, it appears to be important to him, and he’s been long involved in a faith-community. So, I see no reason to disbelieve him or condemn him because his Christianity is not of the Evangelical variety.
                  And again....

I don’t care whether or not Buttigieg is a “practicing Christian” but he does, and this is the argument in the face of Evangelical objections that he is not.
                  And on and on.... Back to Buttigieg supposedly claiming he's a "practicing Christian".

What I’ve been arguing about is Buttigieg’s belief that he is a “practicing Christian” in the face of your Evangelical-based objections that he is not.
                  And there is one your many lies -- I have NOT claimed he's not a "practicing Christian" -- I'm simply asking you to back up your claims.

Then you try to back away from your original claims...

He may not be a “practicing Christian” according to your narrow definition of what constitutes one but he seems quite certain that he is.
                  And more backtracking...

That is simply not true, I’ve provided several examples. It's dishonest that you pretend I haven’t, but no surprise there.. Buttigieg claims to be a “practicing Christian”...maybe not as an Evangelical understands that term but as he does.
                  Your claim that you provided examples is an outright lie. And your accusation that I'm dishonest is absolutely without basis.

Here's a HUGE difference between me and you, Tassman. When I point out your dishonesty, I back it up with proof. Then you get your royal panties in a twist and accuse me of dishonesty with NO proof.

You have claimed over and over that Buttigieg claims to be a practicing Christian.

It shouldn't be too much to ask you to back up your claim, or admit you've been making it up all along.

OPB drastically lowered the bar for you.... all you need to do now is prove that Buttigieg claims to be a Practicing Episcopalian.

Ball's in your court. Full press kabuki dance fully expected, along with some more false statements, false accusations, emotional tripe..... But no proof.

Comment

In his efforts to show his disrespect for both God and Christians, JimL seems to completely throw the rules of proper capitalization out the window.

Here's some information for you JimL: When you refer specifically to the Christian god and you're not referring to what kind of being He is, but rather to the person of God, you capitalize the G, because then it functions more like a name, or title, rather than as a reference to the nature of His being.

Also, being grumpy about the fact that Christian and Christianity is supposed to be capitalized while atheist and atheism is not is not a valid reason to not capitalize the two former terms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      In his efforts to show his disrespect for both God and Christians, JimL seems to completely throw the rules of proper capitalization out the window.

Here's some information for you JimL: When you refer specifically to the Christian god and you're not referring to what kind of being He is, but rather to the person of God, you capitalize the G, because then it functions more like a name, or title, rather than as a reference to the nature of His being.

Also, being grumpy about the fact that Christian and Christianity is supposed to be capitalized while atheist and atheism is not is not a valid reason to not capitalize the two former terms.
                      That's always been a puzzle to me, that people would refuse to capitalize a proper noun to show contempt. In JimL's case, however, I think it's either laziness or illiteracy, because he also routinely does not capitalize American.

And, before you start on ME, bluehair, MY problem, as you can see, is, and always has been, commas.

Comment

That's always been a puzzle to me, that people would refuse to capitalize a proper noun to show contempt. In JimL's case, however, I think it's either laziness or illiteracy, because he also routinely does not capitalize American.

And, before you start on ME, bluehair, MY problem, as you can see, is, and always has been, commas.

Sometimes I can interject a comma in the text, even if it's not grammatically/syntactically (not sure which term is the right one to use here) correct, because I want to make the reader stop and pause for a split second, and not because I'm using them to separate main and dependent clauses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

Sometimes I can interject a comma in the text, even if it's not grammatically/syntactically (not sure which term is the right one to use here) correct, because I want to make the reader stop and pause for a split second, and not because I'm using them to separate main and dependent clauses.
                          EGGzackly!!!!

And I like to point out that there is NO comma in our Pledge of Allegiance between "one nation" and "under God" for that same (or opposite, I guess) reason!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Comment

Prove it.
                            No need. His stated position of God vis-à-vis gay persons is diametrically opposed to yours.

You don't actually know that he joined the Episcopal Church at all, Tassy.
                            So? He has clearly stated that for 10 years the Episcopal Church in South Bend has been his “faith home”. And that: “It was a mix of faith but also of community that really made it the right place to be”. What ese do you want, a written affidavit?

You really are a slippery one. Are you SURE you're not a used car salesman?
                            I'l leave honor that to you, given the extraordinary rant of your #988 above. Oh, the cleverness of you.

Comment

No need. His stated position of God vis-à-vis gay persons is diametrically opposed to yours.
                              Yes, he totally ignores the Bible and invents his own convenient theology.

So? He has clearly stated that for 10 years the Episcopal Church in South Bend has been his “faith home”. And that: “It was a mix of faith but also of community that really made it the right place to be”.
                              You're forgetting what you've been claiming all along?

What ese do you want, a written affidavit?
                              A simple quote from Buttigieg would do fine.

I'l leave honor that to you,
                              leave honor that to me?

given the extraordinary rant of your #988 above.
                              Extraordinary rant? Is that what it's called in DramaQueenLand when somebody uses your own words to prove you wrong?

Here, let's make it simple....

Here are YOUR claims, and before you try to pull one of your jackass false accusations that I'm being dishonest, I've picked the relevant parts of your quotes, but used the actual quote function for anybody to check out I'm telling the truth.

YOUR claims....
                              Buttigieg claims he’s a Christian...
                              I could ot care less whether or not Buttigieg is a “practicing Christian”. But he claims to be...
                              What I’ve been arguing about is Buttigieg’s belief that he is a “practicing Christian”
                              ...Buttigieg claims to be a “practicing Christian”...

...He says he is a Christian

OPB lowers the bar, and ALL he's asking is...
                              Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              ...What we're looking for here is proof - from Buttigieg's mouth - that he is a practicing Christian (yes, "practicing Episcopalian" would meet that).

And you resort to your anti-Christian bigotry in making this idiot claim...
                              Only a nit-picking Evangelical like you would demand the actual words: “I am a practicing Christian”.

In what universe is it "nit-picking" to ask you to actually back up your own claims?

Prediction -- more Tassmanian dramaqueenery on the way....

Comment

Yes, he totally ignores the Bible and invents his own convenient theology.
                                This is what you choose to believe in your usual judgmental way; he obviously doesn't think so. But then, you always manage to attribute the most negative possible motives to others?

You're forgetting what you've been claiming all along?
                                No. You’re forgetting. What I’ve been claiming (since #110 ff), is that there’s often a conflict of scriptural interpretation between different Christians. This was my argument, NOT the irrelevant distraction about being a “practicing Christian”.

A simple quote from Buttigieg would do fine.
                                To prove what? Buttigieg has clearly stated that for 10 years the Episcopal Church in South Bend has been his “faith home”. And that: “It was a mix of faith but also of community that really made it the right place to be”.

This is quite sufficient to demonstrate that, sneer as you might, he takes his Church and faith seriously rather than inventing his own convenient theology. as you choose to believe. .

The rest of your crap has been snipped. It does not acknowledge that you’re wrong about Buttigieg’s sincerely of faith and it’s irrelevant to the OP with its link:

“I think it’s unfortunate [the Democratic Party] has lost touch with a religious tradition that I think can help explain and relate our values,” the Navy veteran said. “At least in my interpretation, it helps to root [in religion] a lot of what it is we do believe in when it comes to protecting the sick and the stranger and the poor, as well as skepticism of the wealthy and the powerful and the established.”

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/mayor...lieves-in-god/

Comment