Page 149 of 205 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 2045

Thread: Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    The discussion I involved myself in was about "practicing Christian," and the suggestion put forward that Buttigieg is not evidencing being a "practicing" Christian (e.g., engaged with his community, attending services, living his Christian faith). I noted that it is possible he is not a "practicing Christian," or it is possible he is adhering to the passage I cited. Knowing what is going on requires knowing the man's heart, so I think folks are over-reaching.

Somehow that all became "a good Christian cannot talk about his faith," which is not something I ever said or suggested or thought. Indeed, I don't try to define what a "good Christian" is since I am no longer one.
    Sheeeeeesh! It's just impossible for you to give a straight answer!

One last time...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    OK to avoid mindreading I will just ask you:

1. We said that Buttigieg didn't make it clear he was a practicing Christian.

2. In response you posted a link to an article.

So... What did you think the message of the article was and what was the message you were trying to convey?
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Sheeeeeesh! It's just impossible for you to give a straight answer!

One last time...
    Sheesh - it's just impossible to get you guys to understand a straight answer. I gave you links to where I had answered this previously. When that produced a complaint, I cut/paste the part of the post that was my response. You need me to come up with brand new words in a brand new order for it to count? What part of this answer is confusing to you?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sheesh - it's just impossible to get you guys to understand a straight answer. I gave you links to where I had answered this previously. When that produced a complaint, I cut/paste the part of the post that was my response. You need me to come up with brand new words in a brand new order for it to count? What part of this answer is confusing to you?
    OK, lemme try again.

The argument by weblink you posted contains a line that says "The passage can be divided easily into its three parts: giving to the needy, prayer, and fasting." Those are three distinct 'practices' which may well be 'secret' for a Christian.

How does that have anything to do with Buttigieg never being on record (as far as we can tell) as identifying as a "practicing Christian", which was what Tassman declared he did.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't know if you missed post #1474, but I'm confused by what I can only see is a disconnect between what you seemed to obviously imply and later denied implying.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You didn't answer what you think that article was saying. Because your links still leave the impression you think it is saying that Christians shouldn't be public with their faith and that is why Buttigieg hasn't.

I am trying to let you say exactly what you think instead of me "mindreading" you like you always accuse me of. But you seem bent on leaving us with the impression that you think Christians shouldn't be public about their faith, while denying that is what you are saying.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You didn't answer what you think that article was saying. Because your links still leave the impression you think it is saying that Christians shouldn't be public with their faith and that is why Buttigieg hasn't.

I am trying to let you say exactly what you think instead of me "mindreading" you like you always accuse me of. But you seem bent on leaving us with the impression that you think Christians shouldn't be public about their faith, while denying that is what you are saying.

nail. smoke. tree.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

nail. smoke. tree.
    He always accuses me of mindreading him.

I am trying NOT to do that this time and giving him an opportunity to set me straight about what he thinks the article meant and how it applies to Buttigieg.

If he doesn't he has no excuse the next time he accuses anyone of mindreading and misunderstanding him.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He always accuses me of mindreading him.

I am trying NOT to do that this time and giving him an opportunity to set me straight about what he thinks the article meant and how it applies to Buttigieg.

If he doesn't he has no excuse the next time he accuses anyone of mindreading and misunderstanding him.
    That was very good on your part -- I don't think he has managed at all to show what it is he thinks that article says about Buttigieg's lack of public statement as to his own status as a "practicing Christian".

I'm guessing..... well, let me hold off on that, and see if he actually answers, or just keeps linking to previous confusing statements.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK, lemme try again.

The argument by weblink you posted contains a line that says "The passage can be divided easily into its three parts: giving to the needy, prayer, and fasting." Those are three distinct 'practices' which may well be 'secret' for a Christian.

How does that have anything to do with Buttigieg never being on record (as far as we can tell) as identifying as a "practicing Christian", which was what Tassman declared he did.
    Wait...you think I actually READ the article?

That was a joke, for the comically challenged.

So here is a possibility. Giving to the needy, prayer, and fasting could be what Buttigieg sees as the hallmarks of a "practicing Christian," which arguably they are. It is possible claiming the banner "practicing Christian" is, to him, simply an attempt to shine a spotlight on these practices, so he eschews this terminology and these claims. It's the difference between "look at me - I'm a practicing Christian" versus living his faith and speaking the messages he believes Christianity is about.

Or it is possible he is actually just giving lip service to his Christianity for political purposes.

Or...(insert other possibility here)

To assume one or the other is to attempt to read the mind/heart of the man, IMO. He clearly has no problem talking about his faith, and there is nothing in the quoted passage (or article) that suggests "a Christian should not talk about his/her faith." How anyone got that from anything I posted, I have no idea.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-19-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Then what did you mean when you said:

I don't understand how else to interpret your phrasing of "adhering to the passage," if you aren't claiming that it teaches exactly that.
    Adhering to the passage (and article) which specifically cites prayer, giving, and fasting. I would include in that participating in the community, which involves attending services (praying) and supporting the community (giving).

How you folks jumped from my posts to "Carpe thinks Christians are supposed to be silent/sneaky about their faith" I have no idea. Only you guys can explain that. It seems to me to be part and parcel of conflating "disagreeing" with "mocking."