Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Oh please. I know people who are not Christian or are openly agnostic and yet who still go to church for a wide variety of reasons. They may go for their spouse's sake, for the fellowship, to make business/political connections etc.
    I just had a flash of Michael Corleone in church, renouncing satan and all his works and all his pomps -- while his men committed bloody murder. I enjoy the GF movies, but after all the times I've seen them, that is always jarring.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Oh please. I know people who are not Christian or are openly agnostic and yet who still go to church for a wide variety of reasons. They may go for their spouse's sake, for the fellowship, to make business/political connections etc.
      Or, in Buttigieg's case he proclaims his belief in Jesus by reciting the Creeds regularly in church. He says that "I found in (the Episcopal Cathedral of) St. James this faith community that really takes seriously that it's urban, that it's part of a city. And just very quickly felt drawn to that community. And now for about 10 years it's been my faith home." "It was a mix of faith but also of community that really made it the right place to be".

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/02/o...eck/index.html

But it seems you are determined that nothing will persuade you that he is sincerely Christian.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        I just had a flash of Michael Corleone in church, renouncing satan and all his works and all his pomps -- while his men committed bloody murder. I enjoy the GF movies, but after all the times I've seen them, that is always jarring.
        So, Buttigieg is on a par with a fictional mafia boss in your mind? Gotcha.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          That is one of my favorite parts, but honestly, I still like the fact that he gets revenge...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            He proclaims he’s a Christian every time he attends a worship service in his local Episcopal church.
            How often is that?

And how do you khow he actually recites the creed? Lots of CEO "Christians" simply stand there, or mumble their way through it.

Here is what he has said PERSONALLY about his Christianity:

I'll be happy to add to that should you find something?

ETA: And since you bolded the word "BELIEVE", you think maybe Pete shouts that part?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              Or, in Buttigieg's case he proclaims his belief in Jesus by reciting the Creeds regularly in church.
              Are you there with him? How do you know he actually attends, let alone 'regularly'.

It's becoming increasingly clear ya got nothing, so you're just making stuff up.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

Editing another persons post is not "dishonest", Michel, whatever you might believe. At least not as long as the person doing the editing is clearly signaling that that's what he's doing, which OBP clearly did and on top of that he left the post ID in the quote tag, so anyone could go and look at the original. There simply was no deception involved. You might not think he "captured the gist of your post" correctly, but you have no grounds for accusing him of dishonesty simply because you think (and however warranted you might be in thinking so) he misunderstood your post.

So, whatever other reasons you might have for not liking the editing of someone elses post that happens here sometime, dishonesty is not one of those things, because whenever it happens the person doing it usually makes it clear that the post they're quoting has been purposefully edited.
                And yet there is the box "Originally posted by carpedm9587," with words I didn't write inserted by OBP.

Anyone can respond to a post with:

"I think what you really meant to say was:

Yes

To use the "quote" feature and changed another person's words is to lie - pure and simple. I realize it has become common fare and widely accepted on this forum. IMO, it shouldn't be. Sorry, Chrawnus, but I'm just not buying the justifications. What people choose to do with that is entirely up to them.

And this issue has gone on far longer that it warrants. I wasn't really expecting acknowledgment and probably should have simply let my first point stand. The behavior is too firmly entrenched to be dislodged by an outsider. Someday I'll learn. For now, I'll leave the last word to ya'll.

BTW - don't know if you're a dad, but if you are - Happy Father's Day!
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  And yet there is the box "Originally posted by carpedm9587," with words I didn't write inserted by OBP....
                  Have ya ever said anything in your life "with a wink and a nod", Mr. Spock?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Have ya ever said anything in your life "with a wink and a nod", Mr. Spock?
                    Absolutely. "I'll get to that right away dear." When I have no such intention, it's clearly a lie...

...about myself.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Absolutely. "I'll get to that right away dear." When I have no such intention, it's clearly a lie...

...about myself.
                      So, in your superior morality system, it's OK to lie about yourself, but not make a sarcastic representation of what somebody else said, even though it's clear you're not actually quoting them?

Carpe - "I love and honor my wife so I am going to stay home and do the dishes and forego the ballgame".
                      CP - sarcastically paraphrasing Carpe "I'm scared of that woman, so I'm gonna do what she says!"

When both versions are clearly there....... Yet, you'd say I lied.

Comment

And yet there is the box "Originally posted by carpedm9587," with words I didn't write inserted by OBP.

Anyone can respond to a post with:

"I think what you really meant to say was:

Yes

To use the "quote" feature and changed another person's words is to lie - pure and simple. I realize it has become common fare and widely accepted on this forum. IMO, it shouldn't be. Sorry, Chrawnus, but I'm just not buying the justifications. What people choose to do with that is entirely up to them.
                        Technically, you're probably right. But I think it clearly falls within the genre of parody or mockery, rather than misrepresenting with intent to deceive.

No-one is going to be confused about what you actually posted - it's literally right above the post you've been complaining about. If you think that OBP's intent was to deceive a reader about what you had actually posted, then you probably also think that Paul told the Corinthians he was lying to them when he said he became all things to all men. C'mon, bro.

In context, OBP made a small joke, you responded seriously, he asked you if you had broken your funny bone (IOW, forgotten to laugh), you responded with another post taking it very seriously (instead of laughing at things - maybe you thought OBP was being serious, or attacking you - I think he was implying that it was all a joke), and OBP replied with the notorious 'Yes' post.

I read that as meaning, 'Carpe, you are taking it too seriously. Lighten up, laugh, it's not an attack on you'. You've taken it too seriously, and OBP has apaprently gotten annoyed at you, which has just made you more offended.

This is the kind of thing that makes mothers tell one of their two arguing kids to get out of the car and walk home.

Where's Mossy when you need her?
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                          Technically, you're probably right. But I think it clearly falls within the genre of parody or mockery, rather than misrepresenting with intent to deceive.

No-one is going to be confused about what you actually posted - it's literally right above the post you've been complaining about. If you think that OBP's intent was to deceive a reader about what you had actually posted, then you probably also think that Paul told the Corinthians he was lying to them when he said he became all things to all men. C'mon, bro.

In context, OBP made a small joke, you responded seriously, he asked you if you had broken your funny bone (IOW, forgotten to laugh), you responded with another post taking it very seriously (instead of laughing at things - maybe you thought OBP was being serious, or attacking you - I think he was implying that it was all a joke), and OBP replied with the notorious 'Yes' post.

I read that as meaning, 'Carpe, you are taking it too seriously. Lighten up, laugh, it's not an attack on you'. You've taken it too seriously, and OBP has apaprently gotten annoyed at you, which has just made you more offended.

This is the kind of thing that makes mothers tell one of their two arguing kids to get out of the car and walk home.

Where's Mossy when you need her?
                          I have read and understood your post. We disagree. And you are incorrect that I am "offended." I pointed out what was, IMO, an inappropriate post. I wouldn't have given it another thought if the discussion had ended there. And now the discussion has received far for time/attention than it deserves, and this is Father's Day!

So I'll leave the last word to ya'll. For those of you who are dads, hope you have an awesome day!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            So, in your superior morality system, it's OK to lie about yourself, but not make a sarcastic representation of what somebody else said, even though it's clear you're not actually quoting them?

Carpe - "I love and honor my wife so I am going to stay home and do the dishes and forego the ballgame".
                            CP - sarcastically paraphrasing Carpe "I'm scared of that woman, so I'm gonna do what she says!"

When both versions are clearly there....... Yet, you'd say I lied.
                            First, I make no claim to "superior" moral system in any absolute sense, for obvious reasons. Like everyone else, I think the morals I hold are "the right ones." If I didn't, they would be different. It's what we all do. Second, yes, I find misrepresenting someone else in a lie more egregious than misrepresenting or saying something false about myself.

As I said to Max, this has received far more attention than it merits - so I'll leave the last words to ya'll.

Comment

First, I make no claim to "superior" moral system in any absolute sense, for obvious reasons. Like everyone else, I think the morals I hold are "the right ones." If I didn't, they would be different. It's what we all do. Second, yes, I find misrepresenting someone else in a lie more egregious than misrepresenting or saying something false about myself.

As I said to Max, this has received far more attention than it merits - so I'll leave the last words to ya'll.
                              PURELY IN JEST, I offer you a solution....

skin thickener.jpg

Comment

...ya'll.
                                "y'all" - a contraction of 'you all'.

Comment