Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    I attended an Anglican Boarding school for five years with daily Holy Communion, Matins and Evensong at which either the Nicene Creed (re the former) and the Apostles Creed (re the latter) were recited by the entire congregation as a statement of faith of one's belief and acceptance of Jesus Christ. Apart from the minority Evangelical wing of the Anglican Communion THIS is what counts as one's declaration of faith NOT the personal testimonies about how "Jesus saved you" that you lot consider to be the true mark of a Christian.
    Buttigieg can't even seem to make the claim that he's "a Christian", let alone a personal testimony of Salvation.

So, whilst you haven't heard Buttigieg's personal declaration of his salvation
    Or him actually claiming to be "a practicing Christian".

Thanks
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The contention that Buttigieg is an active member of the Episcopalian Church is supported by numerous links of interviews with him that say so, many of which I have posted.
      Provide your one BEST link, and the actual quote from it where Buttigieg claims to be an active member of the Episcopal (not Episcopalian) Church. You don't even know what the CHURCH is called, much less Buttigieg.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        And, let's be clear - we're not (At least I'm not) even saying Buttigieg is NOT a Christian -- simply asking for any evidence that HE claims he is.
        A quick search found this article and this article with a couple of facts and quotes from/about Buttigieg that seem to answer that question. According to the article:
        • He cites St. Augustine as a religious influence
        • He's an Episcopalian who studied under Sacvan Bercovitch
        • He was married in the Episcopal church
        • Quote: "I think it’s unfortunate [the Democratic Party] has lost touch with a religious tradition that I think can help explain and relate our values." (in an interview about his Christian roots)
        • Quote: "Thankfully, it (same-sex marriage) had been settled as far as our diocese was concerned by the time I got married, because I wanted to be married in the church, and I’m glad we were able to do that"
        • Quote: "Our right to practice our faith freely is respected up to the point where doing so involves harming others"
        • He calls himself "liturgically more conservative,"

I can find no place where he utters the words "I am Christian." However, his actions and language seem (to me) to clearly indicate he self-identifies as Christian, specifically affiliated with the Episcopal church.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I attended an Anglican Boarding school for five years with daily Holy Communion, Matins and Evensong at which either the Nicene Creed (re the former) and the Apostles Creed (re the latter) were recited by the entire congregation as a statement of faith of one's belief and acceptance of Jesus Christ. Apart from the minority Evangelical wing of the Anglican Communion THIS is what counts as one's declaration of faith NOT the personal testimonies about how "Jesus saved you" that you lot consider to be the true mark of a Christian.

So, whilst you haven't heard Buttigieg's personal declaration of his salvation bear in mind this is NOT What Anglicans/Episcopalians do. Nor do the majority of Christians worldwide. It's a characteristic of the minority Evangelicals who, until Vatican II, were considered by the majority church worldwide (the RCC) as heretics destined for 'hell'.
          So you attended a religious boarding school as an atheist?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            A quick search found this article and this article with a couple of facts and quotes from/about Buttigieg that seem to answer that question. According to the article:
            • Quote: "I think it’s unfortunate [the Democratic Party] has lost touch with a religious tradition that I think can help explain and relate our values." (in an interview about his Christian roots)
            • Quote: "Thankfully, it (same-sex marriage) had been settled as far as our diocese was concerned by the time I got married, because I wanted to be married in the church, and I’m glad we were able to do that"
            • Quote: "Our right to practice our faith freely is respected up to the point where doing so involves harming others"

I can find no place where he utters the words "I am Christian." However, his actions and language seem (to me) to clearly indicate he self-identifies as Christian, specifically affiliated with the Episcopal church.
            We are simply asking Tassman to backup HIS claim that Buttigieg claims to be a "Practicing Christian" - Tassman's words.

We are tired of Tassman just making up crap and then can't back it up. That is all that this is about.

From what we read, other people claim Buttigieg is a Christian and all Buttigieg has said is that he belongs to the Episcopal Church. As far as we can tell he thinks of Christianity and his Church as nothing but a country club and a weapon to beat up on people like Pence whom he disagrees with.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

I can find no place where he utters the words "I am Christian."
              OR "committed Christian" or "practicing Christian", or ... any evidence that he actually "practices" Christianity.

However, his actions and language seem (to me) to clearly indicate he self-identifies as Christian, specifically affiliated with the Episcopal church.
              Which falls WAY SHORT of Tassman's claim that Buttigieg claims to be a "committed Christian" or "practicing Christian", or any number of other versions he has proposed.

About as close as he has come to declaring he's an Episcopalian is is statement that he is "more-or-less Anglican", and his own brother-in-law suggests this is all a ruse for political purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                We are simply asking Tassman to backup HIS claim that Buttigieg claims to be a "Practicing Christian" - Tassman's words.

We are tired of Tassman just making up crap and then can't back it up. That is all that this is about.

From what we read, other people claim Buttigieg is a Christian and all Buttigieg has said is that he belongs to the Episcopal Church. As far as we can tell he thinks of Christianity and his Church as nothing but a country club and a weapon to beat up on people like Pence whom he disagrees with.
                When our Tweb atheists, Tassman and JimL, are championing Buttiegieg's Christianity, now joined in part by another atheist, that's quite a ringing endorsement!

Comment

When our Tweb atheists, Tassman and JimL, are championing Buttiegieg's Christianity, now joined in part by another atheist, that's quite a ringing endorsement!
                  Matthew 7:21
                  “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Comment

Matthew 7:21
                    “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
                    Buttigieg's "religion" is Liberation Theology, which totally ignores the basics of Christianity. It appears to be a cloak in which he wraps himself to attack Trump and Pence. He found a Church that accepts his homosexuality, but there's not even any evidence that he ever joined that Church, or even attends. And it's not al all unusual for somebody to pretend to be "Christian" so they can have their wedding in a Church - we see it all the time.

Does anybody know if the Episcopal Church accepts abortion without limits?

Comment

It appears that, even IF Buttigieg is an Episcopalian (let alone, a "practicing Christian"), his stance on abortion flies in the face of the Episcopal Church's position even as of last month....

Summary of General Convention Resolutions on Abortion and Women's Reproductive Health

So, even though they tend to backpedal on the issue by opposing legislation against abortion, they do declare...

The Episcopal Church teaches that “all human life is sacred. Hence, it is sacred from its inception until death. The Church takes seriously its obligation to help form the consciences of its members concerning this sacredness. Human life, therefore, should be initiated only advisedly and in full accord with this understanding of the power to conceive and give birth which is bestowed by God.”

Comment

Buttigieg's "religion" is Liberation Theology, which totally ignores the basics of Christianity. It appears to be a cloak in which he wraps himself to attack Trump and Pence. He found a Church that accepts his homosexuality, but there's not even any evidence that he ever joined that Church, or even attends. And it's not al all unusual for somebody to pretend to be "Christian" so they can have their wedding in a Church - we see it all the time.

Decades back when a friend of mine was getting married she wanted a church wedding. Her brother asked her straight out whether or not she was even a Christian. She angrily retorted that she was and all I could think of was how just a month or two earlier she was saying she was agnostic because she wasn't sure if God existed or not.

She was also the same friend who said that if the marriage didn't work out she could always get divorced -- and did (IIRC) less than a year later.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It appears that, even IF Buttigieg is an Episcopalian (let alone, a "practicing Christian"), his stance on abortion flies in the face of the Episcopal Church's position even as of last month....

Summary of General Convention Resolutions on Abortion and Women's Reproductive Health

So, even though they tend to backpedal on the issue by opposing legislation against abortion, they do declare...

The Episcopal Church teaches that “all human life is sacred. Hence, it is sacred from its inception until death. The Church takes seriously its obligation to help form the consciences of its members concerning this sacredness. Human life, therefore, should be initiated only advisedly and in full accord with this understanding of the power to conceive and give birth which is bestowed by God.”
                          Oops. That should more than suffice for Tass to categorize Episcopalians as "evangelicals" in his book

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Decades back when a friend of mine was getting married she wanted a church wedding. Her brother asked her straight out whether or not she was even a Christian. She angrily retorted that she was and all I could think of was how just a month or two earlier she was saying she was agnostic because she wasn't sure if God existed or not.

She was also the same friend who said that if the marriage didn't work out she could always get divorced -- and did (IIRC) less than a year later.
                            It is not at all unusual for somebody to start attending our Church, then only a couple months later, express interest in using our Church for their wedding. MANY Churches have different polices (and costs) for members vs. non-members. I hate it that I got a bit cynical when an unmarried couple would start attending our Church, and I'd wonder - "ok, is this because they want to get married here, then will disappear"? That's happened a number of times.

I'm actually seeing LESS of this, however, because there are so many "wedding venues" springing up where people can have a fancy wedding that's not necessarily "Christian".

Comment

Understood. These types of discussion are not my cup of tea, so I'll bow out except for my curiosity about Tass' apparent interest in engaging.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Oops. That should more than suffice for Tass to categorize Episcopalians as "evangelicals" in his book
                                So, Buttigieg, as a "practicing Episcopalian" (if, indeed he is one) should oppose abortion "as a means of birth control, family planning, sex selection, or any reason of mere convenience."

In a series of statements over the past decades, the Church has declared that “we emphatically oppose abortion as a means of birth control, family planning, sex selection, or any reason of mere convenience.” At the same time, since 1967, The Episcopal Church has maintained its “unequivocal opposition to any legislation on the part of the national or state governments which would abridge or deny the right of individuals to reach informed decisions [about the termination of pregnancy] and to act upon them.”

Yet, what Buttigieg defends abortion right through third trimester, though he also dodges the issue claiming it's "above his pay grade".

Comment