Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Talk about dumb, you took that to be a theology lesson.
    Incompetent though it was, your purported teaching about God puts that teaching firmly in the realms of theology.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      And quite rightly so, as is agreed by the majority of Christians in the US.
      I don't think you have any idea whatsoever what a really dumb statement this is. It's kinda like, when we were kids and wanting to do something of which our parents did not approve, we wail "But, Dad, EVERYBODY's doing it!"

Please abandon this goofy canard.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Incompetent though it was, your purported teaching about God puts that teaching firmly in the realms of theology.
        (I think he's just trying to prove he really IS that dumb)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          I wonder if the internet has had that effect on Christianity. More and more it seems that people are leaving their denominational divides, and embracing their commonalities.
          I hope so for the sake of Christianity as a whole. I serve in a Prison Ministry called Kairos. It is considered an ecumenical/interdenominational ministry. We have Christians from many different churches. Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, Anglican, Lutheran, Assembly of God, Disciples of Christ, Church of Christ, Presbyterian and several non-denominational churches. It is an extremely effective ministry as we simply leave denominational differences at the door and present and represent Christ our Lord to the inmates on the weekend. It's a testament to me what the church can accomplish when we stop fighting and competing against one another and join together for the common good of promoting the Gospel.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            I hope so for the sake of Christianity as a whole. I serve in a Prison Ministry called Kairos. It is considered an ecumenical/interdenominational ministry. We have Christians from many different churches. Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, Anglican, Lutheran, Assembly of God, Disciples of Christ, Church of Christ, Presbyterian and several non-denominational churches. It is an extremely effective ministry as we simply leave denominational differences at the door and present and represent Christ our Lord to the inmates on the weekend. It's a testament to me what the church can accomplish when we stop fighting and competing against one another and join together for the common good of promoting the Gospel.
            Yeah, I recently became the president of our local ministerial association. We have a wide variety of clergy members, and I promote the "in essentials, unity - in nonessentials, liberty - in all things, charity" philosophy, but it's getting harder and harder to justify being a part of this group, as political issues, more than denominational ones, tend to be more and more problematic.

I can see where you're in a much better position, with a singular focus in prison ministry, as opposed to overseeing 'community things' we (the wide variety of churches in our association) can work on together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I don't think you have any idea whatsoever what a really dumb statement this is. It's kinda like, when we were kids and wanting to do something of which our parents did not approve, we wail "But, Dad, EVERYBODY's doing it!"

Please abandon this goofy canard.
              It's likely not accurate anyways. Looking at Pew Research numbers on the subject of religion and abortion for instance, they point out that while a little over half of all adults in America think abortion should be legal in all or most cases, they get real squirrelly divvying those numbers out by religion/non-religion, and bracketing certain Christian groups into separate buckets. The numbers get more interesting when they divvy by those who have strong "Belief in God," "Importance of religion in one's life," and "Attendance at religious services." At that point you're looking at approx. 70% against in all or most cases. It appears that the Christian groups with the strongest support for abortion are Mainline churches...the same churches that are hemorrhaging members because they're so secular at this point people are asking "what's the point?" and are either going to more traditional churches, or have stopped going to church, and have given up the facade of Christian faith altogether.

But as you probably know, this is all a retread. Most of this has been pointed out to Tassman many times over, and, as usual, he pretends it's never been brought up, and repeats the same assertions over and over again, and people reply to him, and someone comes along and corrects the assertion, and...repeat ad nauseum. Maybe it's best to just ignore him altogether when he makes claims like this so that the circle can finally be broken, and he's left with nothing but talking to himself.

Comment

It's likely not accurate anyways. Looking at Pew Research numbers on the subject of religion and abortion for instance, they point out that while a little over half of all adults in America think abortion should be legal in all or most cases, they get real squirrelly divvying those numbers out by religion/non-religion, and bracketing certain Christian groups into separate buckets. The numbers get more interesting when they divvy by those who have strong "Belief in God," "Importance of religion in one's life," and "Attendance at religious services." At that point you're looking at approx. 70% against in all or most cases. It appears that the Christian groups with the strongest support for abortion are Mainline churches...the same churches that are hemorrhaging members because they're so secular at this point people are asking "what's the point?" and are either going to more traditional churches, or have stopped going to church, and have given up the facade of Christian faith altogether.

But as you probably know, this is all a retread. Most of this has been pointed out to Tassman many times over, and, as usual, he pretends it's never been brought up, and repeats the same assertions over and over again, and people reply to him, and someone comes along and corrects the assertion, and...repeat ad nauseum. Maybe it's best to just ignore him altogether when he makes claims like this so that the circle can finally be broken, and he's left with nothing but talking to himself.
                Maybe he is a bot.

Comment

It's likely not accurate anyways.
                  I figured it would be a waste of time arguing that, given the incredibly broad definition of "Christian" that Tass, JimL and Ox seem to accept.

Looking at Pew Research numbers on the subject of religion and abortion for instance, they point out that while a little over half of all adults in America think abortion should be legal in all or most cases, they get real squirrelly divvying those numbers out by religion/non-religion, and bracketing certain Christian groups into separate buckets. The numbers get more interesting when they divvy by those who have strong "Belief in God," "Importance of religion in one's life," and "Attendance at religious services." At that point you're looking at approx. 70% against in all or most cases. It appears that the Christian groups with the strongest support for abortion are Mainline churches...the same churches that are hemorrhaging members because they're so secular at this point people are asking "what's the point?" and are either going to more traditional churches, or have stopped going to church, and have given up the facade of Christian faith altogether.
                  Agreed.

All Tassman knows ---- Buttigieg is a homosexual, therefore, he must be defended at all costs.

Comment

I figured it would be a waste of time arguing that, given the incredibly broad definition of "Christian" that Tass, JimL and Ox seem to accept.

Agreed.

All Tassman knows ---- Buttigieg is a homosexual, therefore, he must be defended at all costs.
                    And Ox? Seriously?

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      And Ox? Seriously?

Jim
                      You fought pretty hard to defend Buttigieg as a "practicing Christian", so, yes, seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        Yeah, accept that it wasn't a teaching about god,or theology, it was a philosophical statement concerning human morality which a god has nothing to do with.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Yeah, accept...
                          EXCEPT! Jimmy, in your're failed attempt to prove your not a dummy, your you're own worst enemy.

(see what I did there, Rogue?)

Comment

You fought pretty hard to defend Buttigieg as a "practicing Christian", so, yes, seriously.
                            Again - please read more carefully. I fought very hard to show that Buttigieg considers himself a practicing Christian.

Do you understand the difference?

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Is your only recourse to legitimate debate ad hominem?

Jim
                              Is this goofy false accusation your way of avoiding answering a question?

You had said...

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              It isn't important to me that he be recognized as a practicing Christian per se. But it does seem to me this entire line of debate about whether he claims to be a Christian is a petty way to try to discredit him, and I am against lying about people as a means of keeping their views from being heard. It don't see anything to indicate he is not sincere on this issue.
                              And I asked who's lying about anything.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Who's lying about anything, Jim? That's an underhanded and unjustified charge.
                              I think I deserve an answer.

Comment

Again - please read more carefully. I fought very hard to show that Buttigieg considers himself a practicing Christian.

Jim
                                A) The argument was over Tassman's false claim that Buttigieg, himself, claimed to be a practicing Christian.
                                2) Regardless of what he claims, some day he'll stand before the Lord, and the Lord will use his own definition of what a 'practicing Christian' is, not Buttigieg's.

Clyde

Comment