Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
    You just as much support enforcing your minority views on a majority who disagree.
    Nope. The only view that requires “enforcing” is equal rights for all citizens…from blacks to Native Americans, to women to gays. And that’s not a minority view.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

At least Trump is standing up against the slaughter of the innocents, and standing FOR religious liberty.
      Trump is standing up for himself alone, he cares for nothing else, and he’s doing it by pandering to the prejudices of self-righteous Evangelicals like you. Fortunately, there are relatively few of you.

By “religious liberty” you presumably mean the right to deny full civil rights for ALL citizens, including gays. And by “slaughter of the innocents” you are presumably referring with your usual hysteria, to the pro-choice rights of ALL women.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
        After all your years on TWeb how is it you still have zero basic understanding of Christian Theology?

Especially something that is one of the most basic fundamentals of the Christianity.

I don't expect you to agree with Christianity, I do expect you to have learned something about what Christians believe.
        If he was serious about what he said there, it is evidence that maybe God really does actively blind infidels to the meaning of Scripture.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          If he was serious about what he said there, it is evidence that maybe God really does actively blind infidels to the meaning of Scripture.
          What patronizing crap. There is no such thing as a “plain reading of the text.” "Everyone reads the biblical text through the lens of their own culture, theology, philosophy, and phenomenological experiences."

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/allset...-of-the-bible/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            What patronizing crap. There is no such thing as a “plain reading of the text.” "Everyone reads the biblical text through the lens of their own culture, theology, philosophy, and phenomenological experiences."

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/allset...-of-the-bible/
            Believe it or not, I somewhat agree with you about the supposed "plain reading of the text." Somewhat.

But that fact does not change my views on what JimL said. He's been interacting intensely with Christians for years. At this point, there are few excuses other than intentional misunderstanding on his own part, or active punitive blinding by God.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              What fact? I'm not sure I follow. Do you have a link to the argument?

Ok, and? I mean there's only a few options open to someone who claims to be a Christian yet champions gay and transsexual agendas, is pro choice, and constantly drives the point home that his faith will in no way influence his politics (outside of broad stroke social gospel talking points like "be humble," "be nice to others," "take care of the poor"). 1.) Buttigieg knows what scripture says, but disagrees with the mainstream scholarship and orthodox teaching on these matters. 2.) Buttigieg knows what scripture says, but doesn't feel that scripture is authoritative, or is only authoritative in the most general of ways. 3.) Buttigieg is completely ignorant of what scripture says on these matters. 4.) Buttigieg doesn't care what scripture says on these matters.

Whether he sincerely considers himself a Christian or not is sorta moot. He's either lying or is in gross error. Either way, he's offered enough examples of anti-Christian behavior for fellow Christians to judge the sincerity of his confession, and by that, I don't necessarily mean the sincerity that he himself places in that confession, but sincerity as a synonym for validity. The guy who goes home and beats his wife every night might sincerely believe he's a Christian, and may even believe he has a God-given right to do so, but I, as a fellow Christian, have the right to question the sincerity the validity of his walk with Christ if he's behaving in a way that's so contradictory to Christian faith. Same with Trump. He claims to have made Jesus Lord, but his actions don't come across as someone who really believes he's to love his enemies, to bless those who curse him, and to pray for those who abuse him.
              And this isn't just a case of somebody wanting to "come to Church" and live in peace until he 'sorts things out'.

This is a case of somebody who wants to be the leader of the free world, and has made his sinful lifestyle part of the very fabric of who he is and how he would lead.

It's like - I am thrilled that my "living together without being married" people are coming to Church and are under the Gospel every Sunday. Would I ask them to teach a Sunday School class, or serve as leadership?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Trump is standing up for himself alone...
                So what? In the process, he's making a lot better choices for SCOTUS, federal judges, religious freedom than Hillary ever would have..... We didn't hire him to be preacher-in-chief.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  Believe it or not, I somewhat agree with you about the supposed "plain reading of the text." Somewhat.

But that fact does not change my views on what JimL said. He's been interacting intensely with Christians for years. At this point, there are few excuses other than intentional misunderstanding on his own part, or active punitive blinding by God.
                  Or maybe he's just that dumb!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, and I am a believer in His Word. Sin is sin, and needs to be called that.

When somebody gets "married" to a person of the same sex, Jim, it's pretty clear they have made a choice to continue in sin.

My Faith is built on nothing less than Jesus Blood and Righteousness.
                    And Buttigieg is a professed christian who disagrees with you. Did you know that it is possible to be a christian, to believe in Jesus, and yet not believe everything that's in the bible? As far as I know Jesus said nothing himself about homosexuality per se.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      And Buttigieg is a professed christian who disagrees with you.
                      Wow, Jimmy, did you thunk that up all by your widdle seff?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        And Buttigieg is a professed christian who disagrees with you. Did you know that it is possible to be a christian, to believe in Jesus, and yet not believe everything that's in the bible? As far as I know Jesus said nothing himself about homosexuality per se.
                        He never said anything specific about incest, pedophilia or necrophilia either so I guess that means in your book He thought that they are okay

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          He never said anything specific about incest, pedophilia or necrophilia either so I guess that means in your book He thought that they are okay
                          You don't remember the whole discourse Jesus taught on what "a boy" was, and the case He made for getting rid of the age of consent?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                            Did you know that it is possible to be a christian, to believe in Jesus, and yet not believe everything that's in the bible?
                            Oh, I'd love to see your reasoning behind this little gem. Disagreeing with a particular interpretation is one thing, but to selectively pick and choose which parts to believe? I doubt anybody could do that and still have a correct theology.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Oh, I'd love to see your reasoning behind this little gem. Disagreeing with a particular interpretation is one thing, but to selectively pick and choose which parts to believe? I doubt anybody could do that and still have a correct theology.
                              To be fair to JimL it is a common mindset that you can treat the Bible like a "choose your own adventure" book.
                              A very wrong misconception, but still a common one.
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                                To be fair to JimL it is a common mindset that you can treat the Bible like a "choose your own adventure" book.
                                A very wrong misconception, but still a common one.
                                The taking only the parts you like and leaving whatever you don't like approach is sometimes known as Cafeteria Christianity over here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment