Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    I think so many who have been Christians for a long time, (I think esp. those who accepted Christ at a young age and basically grew up in the church) see a new Christian come to Christ, and think, why is he still listening to Death Metal music? Why is he still using coarse/foul language. Why are they continuing to gossip or be gluttons? Why is he still drinking alcohol?... or whatever you want to name....and harshly chastise them for this "sin". It many times ends up driving them right back out of the church...I've seen it happen more than once. Not that we don't correct them necessarily but, it should be done in love...and from God's viewpoint, not ours. For instance, I don't think Trump's supposed conversion was that long ago, and I doubt he has many Christians around him to emulate Christian behavior.
    Hence, the saying, Christians are the only fishermen who try to clean their fish before they land them.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      I think so many who have been Christians for a long time, (I think esp. those who accepted Christ at a young age and basically grew up in the church) see a new Christian come to Christ, and think, why is he still listening to Death Metal music? Why is he still using coarse/foul language. Why are they continuing to gossip or be gluttons? Why is he still drinking alcohol?... or whatever you want to name....and harshly chastise them for this "sin". It many times ends up driving them right back out of the church...I've seen it happen more than once. Not that we don't correct them necessarily but, it should be done in love...and from God's viewpoint, not ours. For instance, I don't think Trump's supposed conversion was that long ago, and I doubt he has many Christians around him to emulate Christian behavior.
      Ah. So this was about Trump, not Buttigieg. I was wondering where your reply was coming from.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Meanwhile, Buttigieg continues to grapple with politics at home...

More Calls for Mayor Pete’s Resignation

And yet Pete Buttigieg raised $24.8 million in the second quarter as his White House bid gains momentum.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/01/pete...ndraising.html
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          If social mores direct a Christian's course, he is not following the course set by Christ.
          Social mores have directed Christianity’s course throughout Christian history and continue to do so. Consequently, the majority of Christians nowadays support equal rights for all, including gay rights.

The brand of Christianity that opposed slavery is the same that opposed the tendency to follow societal norms and pushed for emancipation. The movement arose first among Christians.
          The brand of Christianity that supported slavery, was founded to resist the abolitionists and retained virulent discrimination against blacks until the Civil Rights Act…namely the Southern Baptists. And it is this same brand of Christianity that currently opposes homosexual equal rights in the name of biblical “truth”.

In Hong Kong right now, (as I have previously made mention of) Christians are defying the churches, to protect demonstrators protesting a change of law that would see political undesirables extradited to Mainland China.
          In Hong Kong the dominant religions are Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism. Christians are an insignificant minority. I think you view your religion through ‘rose colored glasses’.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Social mores have directed Christianity’s course throughout Christian history and continue to do so. Consequently, the majority of Christians nowadays support equal rights for all, including gay rights.
            Christians were, I will admit, somewhat slow on the uptake regarding this issue. However, Christians did support, and still do, the right to self determination for gays once the problem was identified. Equal - not superior - rights for outsiders doesn't extend as far as allowing those outsiders to dictate what people not of their group are permitted to believe and advocate.

The brand of Christianity that supported slavery, was founded to resist the abolitionists and retained virulent discrimination against blacks until the Civil Rights Act…namely the Southern Baptists.
            Actions which even you acknowledge have noting to do with Christianity.

And it is this same brand of Christianity that currently opposes homosexual equal rights in the name of biblical “truth”.
            Completely false assessment on your part. The same organisations that formerly advocated slavery as compatible with Christianity now advocate homosexual unions as compatible with Christianity. The churches are playing the same old game, and Christians are resisting the churches in the same old way.

In Hong Kong the dominant religions are Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism. Christians are an insignificant minority. I think you view your religion through ‘rose colored glasses’.
            And yet, that insignificant minority (3%) acts to protect the majority. True - they do so legally, but in defiance of the governing bodies, church and secular both. Non-Christians in Hong Kong have acknowledged their contribution - so your assessment is based on nothing.
            Last edited by tabibito; 07-02-2019, 12:49 AM.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And yet Pete Buttigieg raised $24.8 million in the second quarter as his White House bid gains momentum.

Meanwhile, among blacks (who nearly all Democrat consultants say must turn out in mass for the Democrats to win in 2020) Buttigieg is polling at 0%, according to a new CNN poll. OTOH Trump support among blacks is around 12% (up 4 points from 2016).

So why do you and little jimmy work so hard to defend someone who is obviously thought of by blacks as being far more racist than Trump is perceived as?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

IOW, the minority (Christians) are putting themselves at risk to protect the majority.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, because raising big bucks in politics is a sure-fire indicator of one's ability to lead. Is Jimmy sharing his liberal talking points for idiots with you?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Meanwhile, among blacks (who nearly all Democrat consultants say must turn out in mass for the Democrats to win in 2020) Buttigieg is polling at 0%, according to a new CNN poll. OTOH Trump support among blacks is around 12% (up 4 points from 2016).

So why do you and little jimmy work so hard to defend someone who is obviously thought of by blacks as being far more racist than Trump is perceived as?
                    Because he 'married' a man. No other reason. And I double-dare Heckle and Jeckle to prove otherwise.

Comment

If he's pulling in essentially none of the black vote, there's no way he can win the primary election. By all means, get him at the top of the Democrat ticket.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        If he's pulling in essentially none of the black vote, there's no way he can win the primary election. By all means, get him at the top of the Democrat ticket.
                        That could be a problem - but I would say it is likely his gayness combined with his mayoral police force problems, not just his mayoral police problems. Even relatively recent research show the black culture in the US is far less accepting of LBGT than the white culture. IOW, even if he can fix his perception as supporting racist officers, he has an uphill battle in the black community. And since the Black community is a core support group for the democrats, I would agree he's going to be a hard sell overall.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3521666...o_tab_contents*

Source: above

Once religious and educational differences are controlled, blacks remain more disapproving of homosexuality but are moderately more supportive of gay civil liberties and markedly more opposed to antigay employment discrimination than are whites.

© Copyright Original Source

And here in 2008:

https://pridesource.com/article/30619/

Source: article 2 above

Heterosexual African Americans are more likely than whites (65 percent vs. 53 percent) to oppose marriage equality for gays and lesbians. They “are virtually the only constituency in the country that has not become more supportive over the last dozen years, falling from a high of 65 percent support for gay rights in 1996 to only 40 percent in 2004.”

Jim

*this paper is a bit old - 2003
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-02-2019, 08:58 AM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          That could be a problem - but I would say it is likely his gayness combined with his mayoral police force problems, not just his mayoral police problems. Even relatively recent research show the black culture in the US is far less accepting of LBGT than the white culture. IOW, even if he can fix his perception as supporting racist officers, he has an uphill battle in the black community. And since the Black community is a core support group for the democrats, I would agree he's going to be a hard sell overall.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3521666...o_tab_contents

Source: above

Once religious and educational differences are controlled, blacks remain more disapproving of homosexuality but are moderately more supportive of gay civil liberties and markedly more opposed to antigay employment discrimination than are whites.

And here in 2008:

https://pridesource.com/article/30619/

Source: article 2 above

Heterosexual African Americans are more likely than whites (65 percent vs. 53 percent) to oppose marriage equality for gays and lesbians. They “are virtually the only constituency in the country that has not become more supportive over the last dozen years, falling from a high of 65 percent support for gay rights in 1996 to only 40 percent in 2004.”

Jim

*this paper is a bit old - 2003
                          Part of this, IMOHBAO, is the fact that the LBGTQ+ forces constantly attempt to equate their own challenges with the equal rights struggles of blacks. I think most blacks will tell you it's not the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I was defending Buttigieg status as a christian, dummy.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              I was defending Buttigieg status as a christian, dummy.
                              You forgot the 's after Buttigieg's name, genius.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Part of this, IMOHBAO, is the fact that the LBGTQ+ forces constantly attempt to equate their own challenges with the equal rights struggles of blacks. I think most blacks will tell you it's not the same.
                                No, if you read the research (or just the summaries given) the support that does exist in the black community is related directly to the civil rights aspect, the inverse of your assumption. That is, they seem to be more sensitive to the discrimination part as it relates to individuals, but less willing to accept it as an equivalent sexuality and tending to reject gay marriage more.

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment