Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But, but, but... Southern Baptists are BAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaadddddd!!!!!
    The only reason I can see him bringing them up over and over and over again is because they're currently the largest Protestant denomination in the US (as though that had anything to do with them splitting initially), and maybe because he think it'll somehow stick in your craw for being a member of the SBC? I don't know. It's weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      The only reason I can see him bringing them up over and over and over again is because they're currently the largest Protestant denomination in the US (as though that had anything to do with them splitting initially), and maybe because he think it'll somehow stick in your craw for being a member of the SBC? I don't know. It's weird.
      Personally, I think he's driven by hate. He's an anti-Christian bigot. He's pro-homosexual and pro-abortion, and many (most?) Evangelical Christians believe both of those practices are wrong. He has to find some justification for his hatred, so he's living in the past.

But, I also don't really know, and agree it's weird.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

People have responded to Tassman on this so often, and so thoroughly that I'm surprised anyone bothers engaging him anymore. I'd be surprised if there hasn't been a month that he hasn't posted some sort of screed against "Evangelicals" and specifically "Southern Baptists" and their connection to slavery. He's obsessed with this argument. And that argument was destroyed well before TWeb's crash.

At it's founding in 1845, the SBC had 350,000 members, approx. 130,000 of whom were black. The growth of the SBC was slow until the turn of the century.

Perhaps ironically, the largest denomination in the slave-holding South was the Methodist Episcopal Church, which also split over slavery, with the Methodist Episcopal Church, South claiming in 1859 511,601 whites and 197,000 blacks (mostly slaves) and 4,200 Native Americans. And contrary to Tassman's repeated claims, 19th century Evangelicals often spearheaded abolitionist movements. The Evangelical/Fundamentalist movement that he likely has in mind in his diatribes didn't really take root until the early 20th century.
        Well since Tassman said that morality is just a function of society, he has no real argument against slavery to begin with. It just happened to be what society thought was OK back then, so it wasn't wrong or immoral at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Well since Tassman said that morality is just a function of society, he has no real argument against slavery to begin with. It just happened to be what society thought was OK back then, so it wasn't wrong or immoral at all.
          Yes, and the notion that Southern Baptists, in particular, were doing it "because the Bible...." is also nutty.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            No doubt “there were good people on both sides”.

What’s not arguable is that it was Democrat Party that resisted the abolition of slavery and were largely responsible for the Jim Crow Laws until forced by the Civil Rights Act to abolish them.
            FIFY n/c

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

People have responded to Tassman on this so often, and so thoroughly that I'm surprised anyone bothers engaging him anymore. I'd be surprised if there hasn't been a month that he hasn't posted some sort of screed against "Evangelicals" and specifically "Southern Baptists" and their connection to slavery. He's obsessed with this argument. And that argument was destroyed well before TWeb's crash.

At it's founding in 1845, the SBC had 350,000 members, approx. 130,000 of whom were black. The growth of the SBC was slow until the turn of the century.

Perhaps ironically, the largest denomination in the slave-holding South was the Methodist Episcopal Church, which also split over slavery, with the Methodist Episcopal Church, South claiming in 1859 511,601 whites and 197,000 blacks (mostly slaves) and 4,200 Native Americans. And contrary to Tassman's repeated claims, 19th century Evangelicals often spearheaded abolitionist movements. The Evangelical/Fundamentalist movement that he likely has in mind in his diatribes didn't really take root until the early 20th century.
              Why did you have to go and confuse things with those gollblasted fact thingies. It's so much simpler when you can make evidence-free assertions.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Personally, I think he's driven by hate. He's an anti-Christian bigot. He's pro-homosexual and pro-abortion, and many (most?) Evangelical Christians believe both of those practices are wrong. He has to find some justification for his hatred, so he's living in the past.

But, I also don't really know, and agree it's weird.
                Yeah, the RCC is strongly against abortion and repeatedly expresses disapproval of gay marriage so it seems to be something more than just his hatred for Christians in general.

Comment

So what - he raised big bucks, goofus!
                  The "big bucks" do not suggest that “Calls for Mayor Pete’s Resignation” are as commonplace or as warranted as you implied.

Other than being homosexual, what are his qualifications for running the country?
                  Being homosexual is no more are qualification for running the country than being a serial womanizer and genital-grabbing sexual aggressor and liar like Trump.

OTOH, unlike Trump, Buttigieg is well-educated, highly intelligent and a veteran who served a seven-month tour as a counterintelligence officer in Afghanistan. Plus he's experienced in government at the municipal level. In short he's well qualified to run the country, unlike the immoral buffoon who's there now.
                  Last edited by Tassman; 07-03-2019, 11:42 PM.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    wow, how many of us do you think were alive in the 1800's Tassy? Same ones huh?
                    Yes, the same ones. Weren’t you alive in 1995? Because up until that time the official position of the Southern Baptist Convention (having being founded to support slave owners), was for segregation.

“The Southern Baptist Convention issued an apology for its earlier stance on slavery. The issue had split the Baptist church between north and south in 1845. But a century and a half later, in 1995, Southern Baptist officials formally renounced the church's support of slavery and segregation”.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=112329862

It took them long enough to realize the error of their ways.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Yes, the same ones. Weren’t you alive in 1995? Because up until that time the official position of the Southern Baptist Convention (having being founded to support slave owners), was for segregation.
                      That's nonsense. Perhaps they had not formally renounced it until then, but that doesn't mean it was "officially" in favor of segregation up until that point. Or can you point to any official statements of the church in the 1990-1994 range (when you claim they had the official position of being in favor of segregation) that state a preference for segregation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                        That's nonsense. Perhaps they had not formally renounced it until then, but that doesn't mean it was "officially" in favor of segregation up until that point. Or can you point to any official statements of the church in the 1990-1994 range (when you claim they had the official position of being in favor of segregation) that state a preference for segregation?
                        This is Tassman we're talking about, of course he can't.

Comment

That's nonsense. Perhaps they had not formally renounced it until then, but that doesn't mean it was "officially" in favor of segregation up until that point.
                          If not then the SBC would have done well to alter its official position long before 1995, given that Martin Luther King Jr. was leading the civil rights movement in the US from the mid-1950s. And that the Civil Rights Act came into force in 1964, i.e. 30 years before the SCB finally got its act together and formally renounced its racism.

Comment

Plenty of SBC churches were in favor of segregation before that point, but at least a couple of all black churches were allowed into the SBC by 1951, and by 1981 there were 600 black churches in the SBC. Well before then Martin Luther King Jr commented about that great SBC Evangelist Billy Graham, “Had it not been for the ministry of my good friend Dr. Billy Graham, my work in the civil rights movement would not have been as successful as it has been.” And Billy Graham himself stated, “Jesus was not a white man; He was not a black man. He came from that part of the world that touches Africa and Asia and Europe. Christianity is not a white man’s religion and don’t let anybody ever tell you that it’s white or black. Christ belongs to all people; He belongs to the whole world.” And on the day of King's assassination, "There is no excuse ever for hatred, there is no excuse ever for bigotry and intolerance and prejudice. We are to love as God loved us."

Again, somewhat ironically given the nature of this thread, the Episcopal Church, starting in 2006, but officially in 2008 finally apologized for it's role in slavery.

And now for a bit of "whataboutism." It took the Australian government till 2008 to apologize for the mistreatment of Aborigines (including the kidnapping of their children), who, by the way, did not completely have the right to vote until 1965 (Queensland becoming the last state to remove restrictions on Indigenous voting in state elections).
                            Last edited by Adrift; 07-04-2019, 01:48 AM.

Comment

The "big bucks" do not suggest that “Calls for Mayor Pete’s Resignation” are as commonplace or as warranted as you implied.
                              The calls for his resignation are from his constituents who likely know him the best whereas the big bucks comes from those who know little about him but they are enamoured by the fact that he's openly gay.

Comment

Plenty of SBC churches were in favor of segregation before that point, but at least a couple of all black churches were allowed into the SBC by 1951, and by 1981 there were 600 black churches in the SBC. Well before then Martin Luther King Jr commented about that great SBC Evangelist Billy Graham, “Had it not been for the ministry of my good friend Dr. Billy Graham, my work in the civil rights movement would not have been as successful as it has been.” And Billy Graham himself stated, “Jesus was not a white man; He was not a black man. He came from that part of the world that touches Africa and Asia and Europe. Christianity is not a white man’s religion and don’t let anybody ever tell you that it’s white or black. Christ belongs to all people; He belongs to the whole world.” And on the day of King's assassination, "There is no excuse ever for hatred, there is no excuse ever for bigotry and intolerance and prejudice. We are to love as God loved us."

Again, somewhat ironically given the nature of this thread, the Episcopal Church, starting in 2006, but officially in 2008 finally apologized for it's role in slavery.

And now for a bit of "whataboutism." It took the Australian government till 2008 to apologize for the mistreatment of Aborigines (including the kidnapping of their children), who, by the way, did not completely have the right to vote until 1965 (Queensland becoming the last state to remove restrictions on Indigenous voting in state elections).
                                And to add that MLK Jr. He helped form the Southern Baptist Leadership Conference -- something that should be kept in mind when Tas or little jimmy bring up the Civil Rights movement.

Comment